• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Women's Golf

The wake women certainly looking capable of competing for the national championship this year. VERY strong showing this weekend against a good field.

This is the year.
Have come close in the recent past, but this is the year.

PC

The wake women certainly looking capable of competing for the national championship this year. VERY strong showing this weekend against a good field.

I just experienced a personal TOP 5 Wake Sports moment today! Considering I am a member of the class of 1970, I have witnessed a lot Wake sports moments - the good, the bad and the ugly. Today I had the extreme pleasure to watch the Wake women destroy the field in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate at the Long Cove Club on Hilton Head Island. The field included 12 teams from the top 25 with #1 Texas, #4 South Carolina and #6 Duke ranked ahead of #7 Wake Forest. The team coming in second, #19 Auburn, was an unbeliveable 26 strokes behind the deacs! In addition to the dominating performance by all five players, what made it so enjoyable for me was the approachability of Head Coach Kim Lewellen and Associate Coach Ryan Potter during the tournament. Wearing my favorite Wake Forest hat and just saying hello as they individually walked by, each stopped to speak with me. Likewise, each member of the team would reply back to me when I said "go deacs" and several of them stopped to thank me for coming out to support their efforts. I spent about an hour walking with parent Eric Kuehn the father of freshman sensation Rachel Kuehn. Eric played baseball at Wake around 32 years ago and his wife Brenda was a Hall of Fame golfer at Wake. I didn't meet Brenda as she stayed to herself away from the small crowds as she watched and worried about every shot her daughter made. It almost made me feel like part of the family - at least a part of a very impressive group of people with a connection to "mother so dear". Proud To Be A Deacon!

I just experienced a personal TOP 5 Wake Sports moment today! Considering I am a member of the class of 1970, I have witnessed a lot Wake sports moments - the good, the bad and the ugly. Today I had the extreme pleasure to watch the Wake women destroy the field in the Darius Rucker Intercollegiate at the Long Cove Club on Hilton Head Island. The field included 12 teams from the top 25 with #1 Texas, #4 South Carolina and #6 Duke ranked ahead of #7 Wake Forest. The team coming in second, #19 Auburn, was an unbeliveable 26 strokes behind the deacs! In addition to the dominating performance by all five players, what made it so enjoyable for me was the approachability of Head Coach Kim Lewellen and Associate Coach Ryan Potter during the tournament. Wearing my favorite Wake Forest hat and just saying hello as they individually walked by, each stopped to speak with me. Likewise, each member of the team would reply back to me when I said "go deacs" and several of them stopped to thank me for coming out to support their efforts. I spent about an hour walking with parent Eric Kuehn the father of freshman sensation Rachel Kuehn. Eric played baseball at Wake around 32 years ago and his wife Brenda was a Hall of Fame golfer at Wake. I didn't meet Brenda as she stayed to herself away from the small crowds as she watched and worried about every shot her daughter made. It almost made me feel like part of the family - at least a part of a very impressive group of people with a connection to "mother so dear". Proud To Be A Deacon!

Definitely a great experience. I’ve done this at some of the men’s tournaments. Usually there are very few spectators and even fewer Wake fans, so if you wear Wake gear, you get noticed and appreciated by the players. Agree with you that you become part of the family/team when doing this. Highly recommend it.

same experience about 5 years ago, when I brought my young daughter to a women's tournament at Furman, Dianne Dailey and the assistant coach could not have been nicer, we got a picture of my daughter with Dianne and received several Wake golf balls.

Definitely a great experience. I’ve done this at some of the men’s tournaments. Usually there are very few spectators and even fewer Wake fans, so if you wear Wake gear, you get noticed and appreciated by the players. Agree with you that you become part of the family/team when doing this. Highly recommend it.
One of best WFU sports experiences for me was back in the mid-70's: Wake men had just won the NCAA championship (don't remember which of the back-to-back years it was), and a week or two later Strange, Haas, Hoch, maybe Byman played in the North-South at Pinehurst. I went on the first day which was lightly attended, so for free I was able to walk the fairways of one of the greatest courses in the world and stand just behind the players & caddies so you could hear them talk club selection/strategy and see every shot up close. By the end of the day Strange had a pretty large following, but again all the spectators were able to walk the course right behind the players and stand green-side for the putts; pretty neat experience.

Thanks Conor. They were just getting started on a very promising season. With some good young talent I hope and expect we will be back next year!

For all of the grousing around here about WF coaches, Kim Lewellen deserves major props.

She took over for Diane Dailey, who successfully coached the Lady Deacs for many years (but typically topped out in the NCAA regionals or early in the finals), and in Lewellen's first year WF finishes #2 in the nation. WF loses its most accomplished women's golfer in school history, and even so, the Lady Deacs continue to dominate in year #2 ascending to first in the nation. Wow. That's impressive. Just a shame that the season was cancelled as this team had the chops to win the Natty.

To piggyback off the last two, I enjoyed this editing room floor quote from Swing Liu:

Is there extra bitterness involved given you were so close to winning a championship last season and were No. 1 this year, seemingly on a path to get back there?
"One, it’s great to know our team is in such a good position and we’re definitely … on the right path, on track to winning the national championship.
So it definitely stinks that this year got cut short.
But our team is really good, so I feel like next year we’re still going to be able to win the national championship. Like, this team is totally capable of winning a lot of championships from now on."

To piggyback off the last two, I enjoyed this editing room floor quote from Swing Liu:

Is there extra bitterness involved given you were so close to winning a championship last season and were No. 1 this year, seemingly on a path to get back there?
"One, it’s great to know our team is in such a good position and we’re definitely … on the right path, on track to winning the national championship.
So it definitely stinks that this year got cut short.
But our team is really good, so I feel like next year we’re still going to be able to win the national championship. Like, this team is totally capable of winning a lot of championships from now on."

Great quote and attitude.
Also, love the name ‘Swing’. You gotta be good if your teammates call you that.

Great quote and attitude.
Also, love the name ‘Swing’. You gotta be good if your teammates call you that.

She was a great interview, as were Lewellen and Letizia. I haven't done much with the golf teams because John Dell does a great job for us covering them; but this was an enjoyable story, all circumstances considered.

Nice interview, our family met Kim at her golf camp last summer, she is a really nice and energetic person.

2 advanced. Wish it wasn’t on against the biggest tournament of the year so far.

Back