• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Women's Golf

Nobody hates Duke more than me, but those of you who have called our players chokers and criticized Bags for conceding the putt are full of shit. Moreover, I’ll bet none of you have played on a college golf team or have ever had a handicap less than 5. So shut the fuck up.

Nobody hates Duke more than me, but those of you who have called our players chokers and criticized Bags for conceding the putt are full of shit. Moreover, I’ll bet none of you have played on a college golf team or have ever had a handicap less than 5. So shut the fuck up.

I will bet the same of you. You want to tell us of your college basketball career that made you worthy of your criticism of CMM? Oh? Ok. Shut the fuck up.

racerdeac sounds like a scratch golfer and I wouldn't have played on the nationwide tour with more than a 5 handicap ... they only allow that in the pro-ams ...

Bags was dying to get off that hole. She still would have had to make an 8 footer or so to even make the simple 15 inch putt matter. It was 100% the right call.

racerdeac sounds like a scratch golfer and I wouldn't have played on the nationwide tour with more than a 5 handicap ... they only allow that in the pro-ams ...

So you think the girls choked and disagree with Bag’s decision to concede the short putt?

You don’t understand competitive golf if you are criticizing Bags for conceding that 18 inch straight in, level putt. Playing high school golf doesn’t involve individual matches. It’s all stroke play. If you had played in CGA type of tournaments, you would know better. I’ll guarantee that neither Coach Lewellyn nor the players had any problem with the concession.

I play competitive golf and my take is that in individual competition I would concede that putt 100% of the time, but in a team competition where others outcomes hang on your decision I would make them putt it out.

I will bet the same of you. You want to tell us of your college basketball career that made you worthy of your criticism of CMM? Oh? Ok. Shut the fuck up.

I was a walk-on at WFU as a freshman. I was offered by Guilford and Elon and finished in the top 8 in the NC state high school tournament as junior and senior in high school. Won the 3A/4A level district tournament in High Point as a junior and was third as a senior. Criticizing CMM for crappy shooting is a bit different than calling a group of young ladies who make it to the final match of the NCAA chokers. Yeah, they really choked by jumping from 12th to 5th in the third round of stroke play, in beating Arkansas on its home course, dominating Auburn and taking Duke to extra holes in 3 matches. Lots of choking going on there!

Lol at 22 trying to establish some sort of dominance on this thread.

Conceding was lame. Make them win. The only time I'm giving up gimmes is early in the round just so I can screw with you on the back 9 and make you finish out everything.

Fuck off with the sportsmanship. What other real sport do you "concede" a shot? You don't concede free throws at the end of a game. If a team is down by one and makes a steal at the end of the game, do you blow your whistle to end the game and concede the last second layup? What is so awful about actually making your putt that makes it unsportsmanlike for the opponent to expect that?
This is a dumb culture of reaching for some reason to feel superior to real athletes.

You people struggle with reading comprehension, I swear! I never said the penalty thing led logically to giving putts. The person I was responding to was comparing the putt situation to situations in basketball, etc. I was making the point that golf is not like other sports. In every other sport you get away with everything you can and hope the official doesn't see it. Another way that golf differs from other sports is the sportsmanship, etiquette and decorum expected of players during a match. Golf is an old-fashioned sport played by gentlemen and gentlewomen.
During events played in a match play format it is traditional / expected that the players concede putts to one another during the round. There is no hard and fast rule and the criteria for when to concede is flexible. Players on both sides were doing it all day. I saw Liu getting pissed when she thought Carta wasn't going to give her a putt of less than a foot but then Carta laughed and gave it to her - apparently indicating that she wasn't paying attention. She wasn't pissed because she thought she might miss it, she was pissed because it would have been bad form. It sounds like some of you are fine with doing it all day but think it is different once the title is on the line?
On that last putt, I would have been OK either way - I had no problem with her conceding it - it was plenty short enough for conceding it to be acceptable. But I don't think it would have been bad sportmanship had she made her putt it, either. Had it been a little longer I would have expected her to make her putt it. Had it been a little shorter it would have been bad form to make her putt it. That was my impression, anyway.

I was a walk-on at WFU as a freshman. I was offered by Guilford and Elon and finished in the top 8 in the NC state high school tournament as junior and senior in high school. Won the 3A/4A level district tournament in High Point as a junior and was third as a senior. Criticizing CMM for crappy shooting is a bit different than calling a group of young ladies who make it to the final match of the NCAA chokers. Yeah, they really choked by jumping from 12th to 5th in the third round of stroke play, in beating Arkansas on its home course, dominating Auburn and taking Duke to extra holes in 3 matches. Lots of choking going on there!

So, you were just a high school golfer, as well.
I haven't called anyone chokers. I am proud of the ladies accomplishments. Feel horrible for Bags. I don't blame her for conceding a putt, if that is that accepted practice. I also know that that making a tradition of conceding putts isn't sportsmanship. It is just tradition. If the expectation was that everyone completes their puts, that wouldn't be unsportsmanlike.

Wasn't Coach Lewellen right there on the green? My assumption is that she was probably involved in conceding the putt. It seemed like her and Bagnoli looked at each other, if they didn't have a brief discussion, before the concession.

So, you were just a high school golfer, as well.
I haven't called anyone chokers. I am proud of the ladies accomplishments. Feel horrible for Bags. I don't blame her for conceding a putt, if that is that accepted practice. I also know that that making a tradition of conceding putts isn't sportsmanship. It is just tradition. If the expectation was that everyone completes their puts, that wouldn't be unsportsmanlike.
Yep, just like coach Jack Jenson of Guilford told me, my golfing career was over if I chose to attend WFU. The Deacs had won the NCAA in ‘74 and ‘75 and I enrolled in the fall of ‘76. Hallberg and Griff Moody were freshmen and Byman, Hoch, Chapman, Pinns and others were still on the team. Thore was still on campus. Was happy to get a WFU golf bag and watch those great players at Old Town and drink beer with them at Simos for a year.

Couple of thoughts. Kupcho earlier conceded a putt to her Duke opponent that drew criticism from the announcers for being too lenient. At that point Jennifer appeared so frustrated with herself she overlooked the length of the putt she was conceding.

I was surprised the final putt was conceded. Far be it from me to deny my opponent the opportunity to sink the putt that wins a national championship.

Neither concession should diminish the accomplishment of the Wake Forest women's golf team. It is the best in their history and represented the university exceptionally well. I suspect they feel a much greater disappointment than anyone reading this post.

The team did great. Losing a match where you have some 1 up leads midway through isn't choking any more than losing a baseball game you led 1-0 through 4 or 5. We never had a lead that approached normal failsafe.

Our girls were outstanding and sometimes you lose the title game before you win one. 3 matches going extra holes and it’s first one w a bad swing.

Good news for us is that our women’s program is on solid footing and Diane built a great foundation...name another coach who has ever retired and left this to the next coach. Diane told me last August at the Wyndham Championship how Kim was absolutely the right person and handpicked by her.

At the end of our conversation she also told me this team had a chance to win it all. Wow she called that 9 months ago.

I’ve gotten to know Kim a little and I can assure you she has the energy and drive to keep this program among the elite. I went to a fundraiser for the women’s team before the ACC tournament and their only challenge is funding. You’d be surprised at their budget compared to other schools.

I moved the money I was giving to the Deacon club (thank you Danny Manning’s to our golf programs. You’d be shocked at the things they still need money for.

The team did great. Losing a match where you have some 1 up leads midway through isn't choking any more than losing a baseball game you led 1-0 through 4 or 5. We never had a lead that approached normal failsafe.

Anyone calculate win probability for golf?

Remember last year our #5 who couldn’t break 80 made the putt in sudden death in the regionals to advance....sudden death can sometimes reward a very average player

Great idea. I’ll give money to the women’s golf program for sure.

Yes, we never had a big lead in the match. However, we could/should have had that big lead. So, many just missed make-able putts. And, GREAT effort by the ladies. Hugh move up in results this year.

Back