• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

Jerry West has been the greatest GM in NBA history and it's not even close (RC and Red are the others even in the conversation). He was done at GS and was still interested in trying to build another franchise. I would not be shocked to see him sign-and-trade Griffin to the Celtics for a bunch of picks and then dump Austin Rivers on someone to clear cap space to get Lebron next year.

He's not just The Logo for players.
Would be great if Jerry was the GM and had the power to fire Doc but as of now he's just a consultant. The clippers will be in rebuilding mode after free agency.

Would be great if Jerry was the GM and had the power to fire Doc but as of now he's just a consultant. The clippers will be in rebuilding mode after free agency.

Jerry Colangelo was also "just a consultant" #Trusttheprocess #RIPHinkie

That's a MAJOR threat to the Clips. I posted about that a few months ago but then there were "reports" Gasol was opting in. $26 million under the cap now. $36 million if they stretch Parker or dump Green.

They won't get all of Gasol's money back. The article says he will sign a long term deal at a lower salary. Some of that will count against the cap.

If Jerry tells Balmer to do something, I doubt Doc stands in his way. West is above Doc in every way in the front office.

That's a MAJOR threat to the Clips. I posted about that a few months ago but then there were "reports" Gasol was opting in. $26 million under the cap now. $36 million if they stretch Parker or dump Green.

Yeah. Things got interesting.

Definitely can keep Simmons. Maybe Mills although I like a cheaper veteran if CP is out of the picture.

They won't get all of Gasol's money back. The article says he will sign a long term deal at a lower salary. Some of that will count against the cap.

If he signs for $8-10M over three years, they get $6-8M back.

no. no. no.

pau is going to sign for the vet minimum. what a team player...

(of course he won't i can dream)

If Jerry tells Balmer to do something, I doubt Doc stands in his way. West is above Doc in every way in the front office.

Even if that's true Jerry will evaluate for at least one year before any major shakeups by then it will be too late Cp3 to Houston and Blake to the east. Now Jerry could do some sign and trades so the clips get something back for Blake and Cp3.
The reason I see Blake moving east is because his fiance moved from LA to the east coast before the season was over with their two children.

I assume Pau is going to go ring-chase somewhere? Which--considering he played for the Spurs--basically just leaves Cleveland or GS.

not necessarily. a few options.

he may have done it because they said they wanted to trade him and he wanted to choose where to play.

he may be giving them flexibility on purpose. something like 3 years at 8 per with season 3 half guaranteed "thank you money" when he walks away. they gave a deal like that to duncan. that way he gets "all his money" plus the bonus and spurs can use that cap space to work towards a big free agent like paul or pay to keep some of the guys like simmons or mills.

possible he does not want to live in sa during the season. maybe he is just dying to play with little bro before he retires.

i'm leaning towards the second. he's trying to help improve the team.

re: manu

current rumors point to him returning. does that mean he needs to resign first as cheap as they can so they further lower their cap hold. that's another 14. he takes another 5-7m deal and they can make more room.

conceivable that he and pau get them another 13-15 mil in space.

not necessarily. a few options.

he may have done it because they said they wanted to trade him and he wanted to choose where to play.

he may be giving them flexibility on purpose. something like 3 years at 8 per with season 3 half guaranteed "thank you money" when he walks away. they gave a deal like that to duncan. that way he gets "all his money" plus the bonus and spurs can use that cap space to work towards a big free agent like paul or pay to keep some of the guys like simmons or mills.

possible he does not want to live in sa during the season. maybe he is just dying to play with little bro before he retires.

i'm leaning towards the second. he's trying to help improve the team.

I would have no problem with Marc Gasol coming to the Spurs.

Not a surprise to see this opinion. essentially pau opted out to help keep as much of the team together as they can. they believe they could have given warriors a run this year. you could tell that with pop's outburst. spurs led by 20+ every game kawhi played this season.

https://www.poundingtherock.com/201...-antonio-spurs-pau-gasol-opting-out-no-splash

they absolutely have to keep their wing defenders (or competent replacements). the reason this spurs team would likely have lost even with kawhi is that too many of the role players (most of their team) became one dimensional and easy to stop. i'm looking at you lma and your fade away long jumpers over much smaller players.

Ugh. Not a fan of this idea that the Spurs don't need to make moves to beat the Warriors.

They need to let Mills go and sign a cheap veteran. There's word that the Spurs may sign Serbian combo guard Miloš Teodosić but so may a lot of teams.

Draft an athletic PF instead of stashing to save cash.

Resign Manu for cheap.

Hope Hanga and Mluntinov can earn roster spots for a reasonable price.

Even with the maneuvers so far pretty sure Patty will have to leave to get paid. Not sure if I'd prefer a 4 or 3 and d wing with the first rounder. Though i just complained about their role players becoming one dementional so a 3 and d guy should bring more to the table or be great at both of those skills.

Back