• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

Even with the maneuvers so far pretty sure Patty will have to leave to get paid. Not sure if I'd prefer a 4 or 3 and d wing with the first rounder. Though i just complained about their role players becoming one dementional so a 3 and d guy should bring more to the table or be great at both of those skills.

Definitely a high energy 4. Low energy LMA is gone after two more seasons unless declines the player option and the front office wants to stretch him out. A high energy 4 would replace Lee nicely.

Meanwhile, Green is still a 3 and D guy. Simmons could emerge as a 3 and D guy. Hanga is the top defender in Euroleague.

Definitely a high energy 4. Low energy LMA is gone after two more seasons unless declines the player option and the front office wants to stretch him out. A high energy 4 would replace Lee nicely.

Meanwhile, Green is still a 3 and D guy. Simmons could emerge as a 3 and D guy. Hanga is the top defender in Euroleague.

bertans has that size (for today's nba) and energy. i am optimistic that he'll be a solid player. however, a small ball 5/4 that can defend the pnr and finish would be nice. what we hoped dedmon would be consistently.

i'm concerned green and/or simmons would be gone if they were actually getting cp3. unlikely to get cp3 but even with hanga, assuming his defense translates quickly, they would still not have enough on the perimeter to defend the warriors.

as it is now it takes all 3 of the guys on the wing to slow down the warriors perimeter players enough to force them to go to someone else. problem there is that guy always kills us. livingston with the jumper, javale mcgee?!?!, ball boy, west, you name it they hit that open shot every time their big names passed the ball a few times.

getting an active defender/re bounder there would be important.

we're mostly on the same page. situation is just too fluid right now for me to decide which will be a priority to me just yet.

i guess big splash pg you might need a wing.
big splash wing go with big.
stand pat bring most everyone back (dedmon and mills gone) need that big.

That's a good round up. I don't think there's going to be a big splash, so I'm for the big. I like Bertans too. A lot. He's going to be fantastic. Almost 40% from deep and over 55% inside the arc. He has potential to expand his game beyond simply being an athletic Matt Bonner. If he can add some bulk onto his frame without losing his shot, he could be a small ball stretch 5.

As I've posted a few times before, I think he would work well with an athletic rebounder or bruiser PF/small ball 5.

What about using the draft pick on Sindarious Thornwell instead of another foreigner who won't contribute anytime soon? Here's a guy that is a senior, can obviously play, but is passed over because his upside is lower (since he has already proven he can play). Taking the Gamecocks to the final four is o small feat.

re: bertans i guess they need to decide if he is going to be a stretch 4 or small ball 5. i would worry if he bulked up it would negatively affect the things we loved that he did.

I still don't know why Josh Hart is so lowly rated. All he does is win and be the best player on the court when he does. Saying he's too old is gibberish. It will take a couple of years for the younger guys to get where he is, if they ever do. It's not like he's 28/29.

re: bertans i guess they need to decide if he is going to be a stretch 4 or small ball 5. i would worry if he bulked up it would negatively affect the things we loved that he did.

It's more like is Bertans a 3 or 4. He hasn't shown anything to be 5.

That's a fair concern. All the more reason to draft an athletic rebounding 5 who can play with stretch 4 Bertans.

Based on this scouting report, Mulitinov looks like a good replacement for Dedmon.
https://www.poundingtherock.com/201...san-antonio-spurs-draft-pick-nikola-milutinov

In my first article on Nikola Milutinov, I focused on the career of the San Antonio Spurs’ 2015 draft pick. Today, I will take a close look at his game and what he can do on the court. Let’s begin with his strengths and weaknesses.
Strengths:
Energy
Offensive rebounding
Setting screens
PnR finishing at the rim
Fighting for position
Blocking shots
Milutinov plays with a lot of energy, which is one of the main reasons why he grabs so many offensive boards. He fights for position on every possession and with that comes a lot of 2nd chance points. Milutinov has also improved in setting screens for ball handlers, and knows when to set the hard screen or just a stopgap before he rolls to the rim for an alley-oop.

Last edited:
I still don't know why Josh Hart is so lowly rated. All he does is win and be the best player on the court when he does. Saying he's too old is gibberish. It will take a couple of years for the younger guys to get where he is, if they ever do. It's not like he's 28/29.

Somebody is gonna steal Hart in the second round.

Other guys in Rd 2 who could be really good gets (crapshoot): Dozier, Thornwell, *Dorsey*, Iwundu, Nigel W-Goss, Blossongame, Dillon Brooks (he has the range no doubt), Bradley.

UDFA could be good market: Jenkins from Villanova - has range as small ball 4; big kid from Gonzaga; Scoochie Smith; Boucher; Meeks; maybe Hicks, and of course Austin Arians.

first take and sas saying lma really wants out and is blaming the spurs for hurting his production.

feel free to keep saying that if it makes another gm believe it. next stop you might want to do a little more than fade away long twos. he could not post up harden vs houston.

How about LMA and Danny Green for Paul George? And hope Pop can convince PG to finish his career playing next to Kawhi.

first take and sas saying lma really wants out and is blaming the spurs for hurting his production.

feel free to keep saying that if it makes another gm believe it. next stop you might want to do a little more than fade away long twos. he could not post up harden vs houston.

There were rumors that he wanted out last year.

I realize that. I'm just assuming he's now officially asked out rather than more general whining.

Right. One article I read had a quote from RC Buford saying they want to get value for him before he opts out next year.

How does one of the 3 or 4 teams that need a player to help them win right away trade a player who could help a team win right away?

I love Manu, but it is time for him to retire.

Shed LMA, stretch Parker and then get some wing defenders and let's go.

Very curious about Hanga and Multinov.

Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but a move to get rid of LMA, by itself, makes the Spurs a much worse team for the upcoming season.

I get that they are trying to clear cap space, but unless they use it to successfully bring in someone pretty damn good to replace what they'd be losing in LMA, they will not be left with a roster that could compete for one of the top 4 spots in the West.

Lamarcus Aldridge. Sacramento Kings. Lottery. Collision Course.

Back