• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

How could he be in the spotlight any more than he already is? The mofo is on every single commercial break of every NBA telecast. Drilled it? Nailed it!

He'll be a bigger story if he moves unless and until Lebron joins him.

now that i think about it i think the HEB commercials put it over the top. cp3 is in. cliff paul shows up to asses an accident in the parking lot kawhi arguing with manu (or other player) before making nice and going inside to pick up some shareable product.

The gummi bears at HEB are fantastic. That should be a draw if CP3 has a soul.

now that i think about it i think the HEB commercials put it over the top. cp3 is in. cliff paul shows up to asses an accident in the parking lot kawhi arguing with manu (or other player) before making nice and going inside to pick up some shareable product.

Someone has to pick up Boban's commercials.

Just saw that PG talked to Klay about going to the Lakers. I'm wondering CP could lure Klay and PG to the Clippers.

I think it could be argued that it could because of a move Chris could make more in off the court money with the Spurs than with an also ran Clippers. He'll be in the spotlight more.

it could be argued. the argument is stupid, but it can be made.

Then there's no way there's a ~$35M difference.

I would be much more than stunned if Chris ever plays for anything like a veteran minimum contract. He can make much more than that in the private sector. Plus, doing so would lower his marketing value to sponsors, etc. The veteran minimum isn't even tip money for Chris. He'd rather retire than take it.

The only exception to what I said in the paragraph directly above this is if he signed a big last year contract and got bought out before signing for the minimum. In this case, he would still get paid the lion's share of the other contract and shouldn't be considered playing that year for the "veteran's minimum".

The difference in net guaranteed money, after accounting for state income tax, is ~$35 million. Read the article.

Can Chris actually expect to earn more than $3 million in the TV booth or front offfice? I honestly have no idea.

I do think you are right that Chris would rather retire than play for the minimum. I was just trying to project out the worst case scenario. I also thought the vet minimum was higher than that. I think I was thinking more along the lines of the MLE.

The difference in net guaranteed money, after accounting for state income tax, is ~$35 million. Read the article.

Can Chris actually expect to earn more than $3 million in the TV booth or front offfice? I honestly have no idea.

I do think you are right that Chris would rather retire than play for the minimum. I was just trying to project out the worst case scenario. I also thought the vet minimum was higher than that. I think I was thinking more along the lines of the MLE.

This is what the article says without him playing the 5th year: "So in summary: $26 million in state taxes on $200 million of earnings if Paul stays in California (net of $174 million); $2 million in state taxes on $152 million if Paul heads to Texas (net of $150 million)."

But this does not include playing the fifth year. If he he is willing to play for the MLE, you'd subtract it from that number not add it.

If he doesn't play the fifth year, they stay home bonus is less than the difference in state taxes. Thus, he would profit by going to SA.

You are simply wrong and the article is wrong not to compare apples to apples - 4 years to 4 years or 5 years to 5 years with a reasonable salary for Chris in Year 5.

I know you'll move the goalposts like you did above in feigning ignorance of the difference between vet minimum and MLE or that Chris would get paid well for that year.

You won't be able to help yourself and admit that I know more about this than you do.

What keeps a player in Texas from negotiating a contract where he only gets paid for home games and works for free on the road?

The fact that he still makes money on the road.

Spurs Looking Seriously at Acquiring CP3 per ESPN

So when Draymond was suspended vs Cleveland did he owe taxes to Ohio?

Good question.

Hope not.

Last edited:
Interesting question. did he travel? Does work count if you f'd up and can play but are serving a penalty?

What really sucks is when you come to NYC and DNP-CD and still have to pay the taxes.

I never pay taxes in other states when i have to travel for work. Hope the IRS doesnt find out

Back