• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

Ok. That's what I thought. I don't think CP is in the same generation as them. And even if he was, I doubt 10 years from now he will be considered the best of those four.

I think CP is the best PG of a weak PG generation of guys like Parker, Deron Williams, and Lowry.
Nah

Maybe not as many individual HOF players but there is more talent across the pg position than ever before

As you pointed out in the PG Giannis debate, most playoff teams have an all star caliber PG now

Spurs Looking Seriously at Acquiring CP3 per ESPN

Sure but they're in the generation behind Paul. This draft class will be in the generation behind them.

Steph, Russ, and Harden will likely be regarded as better than Paul unless Paul wins some championships or gets back into the All-NBA list over the next 5 years.

Last edited:
So we are told, CP3 had to reverse course and jump to the NBA after 2 years instead of 3 because of the huge endorsement opportunities. Now he's practically the face of the NBA being in every other commercial, so it seems, during NBA games. I wonder how much he makes off of State Farm since everyone is so hyped on his salary.

Everyone has to make choices in life. The choices millionaires have to make are just so darn tragic. Unless he's like Walker (stupid) or Barkley (gambler) CP3, his kids and his grand children should never have to do a days hard work ever, whether he gets the last $40-50M of possible contracts.

Acting like he's making a David West type sacrifice (i.e. I believe he gave up $10M to join the Spurs last years on something like a $1M contract) is pretty absurd.

This issue is not even a 'first world issue', it's a top 0.01% issue.

And the last point to consider, if there was any franchise in the NBA that a player could come to and trust them to do right by them it's the Spurs. They were conflicted when they decided to trade George Hill. CP3 comes and wins a ship or two, zero chance they screw him in year 5.

Ok. That's what I thought. I don't think CP is in the same generation as them. And even if he was, I doubt 10 years from now he will be considered the best of those four.

I think CP is the best PG of a weak PG generation of guys like Parker, Deron Williams, and Lowry.

They are all within 5 years of each other age wise. Chris is less than 3 years older than Steph.

Unless your all-time great calculation is RINGZ!!! dominant none of those guys are particularly close to Paul and Harden's the only one with a decent shot of matching him statistically.

Here is a breakdown of various advanced stats for all guards through age 27. Paul is second only to Jordan in most of those categories. Harden is next but still a ways back. Curry and Westbrook are in the top 10.

The only reason that CP3 might not do this (beyond the obvious moves the Spurs would have to make) is because he helped negotiate the very opportunity he would forgo but, I agree, he's got more money than he knows what to do with. A ring, however, is something that's priceless to him. The tax savings would certainly provide some consolation.

Steph will be regarded as better based on rings. Russ and Harden will be regarded as better based on triple doubles.

I doubt most of us would put CP and Teague in the same generation. So I wouldn't put Teague's contemporaries in CP's generation either.

Steph will be regarded as better based on rings. Russ and Harden will be regarded as better based on triple doubles.

I doubt most of us would put CP and Teague in the same generation. So I wouldn't put Teague's contemporaries in CP's generation either.

Maybe not, that's a pretty tight cut off point though.

I also think 10 years from now our collective basketball analysis will be past Rings and Triple Doubles as the most relevant criteria

Spurs Looking Seriously at Acquiring CP3 per ESPN

Cmon. Take the 10 best seasons the 4 of those players have ever had and CP has like 5-7 of them.

Not quite. Thought CP has 1-2 monster years. But 8 of the top 15.

Westbrooks had 3 good years. Harden 2. Neither have won shit either and have huge flaws (defense and ball hogging). Curry has had 2 good years and 1 ring and is slowing down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cmon. Take the 10 best seasons the 4 of those players have ever had and CP has like 5-7 of them.

Two of the other three will have the last three MVPs and are entering their prime.

I'm pretty sure Chris Paul had a better season than Steph just this past year. Steph's declining faster than Charlotte and Westbooks legs will fall off in 2 years . Don't this his 35 percent from the field is gonna age well

I thought I read it was 205 vs 155 (4 vs 5 years though).

I could probably easily double check the numbers but I'm lazy and don't care that much.

Just ask Phil Mickelson what it meant to him about living in Cali after he won the Scottish & British Opens and having to pay all those state & local taxes. CP3 would probably make it all up with no state income taxes in Texas, plus finally get some good coaching & get into the conference finals for once.

If only it was possible to calculate such a difference!

Just ask Phil Mickelson what it meant to him about living in Cali after he won the Scottish & British Opens and having to pay all those state & local taxes. CP3 would probably make it all up with no state income taxes in Texas, plus finally get some good coaching & get into the conference finals for once.

It didn't make enough of a difference for him to move to FL or TX. That's the answer.

Us Spurs donks are really gonna donk. Cp3 is not going to San Antonio.

Los spurs will mostly stand pat. Bring back who they can and fit new, modest, pieces in the spots for people that they can't afford to resign.

Next summer they'll go all out with the cap room they can make.

Is it possible to sign Mills and Simmons to modest one year deals and then big contracts after Pau is off the book? I doubt they'd go for it but I'm trying to figure out what they'll do with all that cap space besides swing and miss on a big free agent.

No chance. Patty has made a few bucks so file that under "more likely."

This could be Simmons only chance at a solid contract to make a post NBA life for he and his family.

No chance. Patty has made a few bucks so file that under "more likely."

This could be Simmons only chance at a solid contract to make a post NBA life for he and his family.

Plus, Bertans and SloMo can fill in for him.

Back