• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

I had thought it was more of a question mark as to whether or not Pau Gasol would exercise his player option... Had read somewhere that he might be better served opting out and signing a 3 year deal elsewhere at similar money. Not sure if any potential suitors have backed away, be it seems like it's a near certainty that he's going to be back next season. I don't think he's as washed up as many here apparently do. His numbers were down a bit in a decreased role, but he's still an asset on offense (and on the glass).

That makes it highly unlikely that anything major will happen with the Spurs this offseason... Mills probably leaves (unless they overpay) and they probably re-sign Simmons given the Arenas rule.

So you are looking at a similar roster in 2017-18 (probably without Mills, Dedmon, and maybe Manu)... Murray gets more minutes and maybe they bring Hanga over from Europe. They'll also probably sign a PG for until Parker comes back (or in case he doesn't). CP3 is not coming to San Antonio. Lowry also a longshot, though an interesting thought. Same goes for Rose & Holiday.

With Aldridge and Green having player options for 2018, I'd expect them both to opt out to sign bigger long-term deals (elsewhere). That means next offseason would be a better opportunity to build around Kawhi w/ a bigtime free agent (or two)... Cousins/George/Westbrook?

So another ho-hum 50+ win season in 2017-18 w/ a 2nd or 3rd round playoff exit... A "down" year.

Yeah but Pau is getting worse and worse on the pick and roll defense. One block per game helps, but giving up 4-5 easy shots quickly offsets that. I get what you are saying as losing Dedmon and Pau may be too much for Pop to manage as they get real small.

Also, what do we know about Hanga and Multinov (sp). Can they play? Maybe I'll google them lol...

Parker isn't coming back guys. At least not a Parker that would be remotely useful. He's 35, was already significantly in decline, and just tore his quad. The injury is a blessing for both parties because it allows the Spurs to move on while also letting TP exit with some grace.

If they aren't willing to go after a top 10 PG then their best bet is to just make Murray the starter and bring in a cheap veteran to back him up. If Murray can't beat put Parker whenever he is ready to play again then the Spurs should probably move on from him too.

The out of left field Jerkbo love was unexpected. James Johnson is not affordable for the Spurs, just so you know. He's a perfect fit in Miami. Maybe he gets talked into signing with a SA or other for a 5 year deal for less money. I would guess teams want him for $10 on a short deal for fear he gains back his weight/loses his incentive.

Would be interested to see JJ work with a shooting coach. If he could get to 35%-40% from the corner, oh my.

Parker isn't coming back guys. At least not a Parker that would be remotely useful. He's 35, was already significantly in decline, and just tore his quad. The injury is a blessing for both parties because it allows the Spurs to move on while also letting TP exit with some grace.

If they aren't willing to go after a top 10 PG then their best bet is to just make Murray the starter and bring in a cheap veteran to back him up. If Murray can't beat put Parker whenever he is ready to play again then the Spurs should probably move on from him too.

My initial thought was that Parker was done, but he seems committed to returning with a timetable of about midway through the season. That doesn't sound like riding off gracefully into the sunset. Given he's already under contract, and the Spurs probably aren't going to break the bank on anyone this offseason (planning for 2018, instead), he's probably going to play a decent amount down the stretch next year. That makes me think a cheap veteran is the way they'll go (as you mentioned).

agree parker will never be the same. if he comes back and can play he really should take a manu-esq bench role. i was up for that before his injury. he could play late minutes is good match ups. post injuries... jury remains firmly out.

they would not be able to pay a top 10 pg without renouncing and stretching parker and trading gasol. i'm still convinced mills leaves. simmons returns. murray starts. bryn will get some spot minutes early if they can't bring in a vet pg. mostly stand pat.

would love jj because we need all the deacs but agree with the others saying he's priced out. leonard, green, jj, simmons defending the perimeter with jj some small ball 4 is a #spursdonk wet dream.

Murray deserves some time before they give up on him. I'm willing to suck it up and let him start and win 50+ games and finish 2nd or 3rd. For me, it's about building a sustainable young roster around Kawhi.

i hope these play offs earned murray and simmons an extended leash next year. pop was so short with them when he had to play them in the post season it really looked like they matured. they need a defined role.

murray = starts and plays extended minutes.
simmons first wing off the bench replacing some combo of manu/mills.

if they bring in a ring chasing vet cheapish to steady things in late game situations he can take some load off murray. however, murray needs minutes and more experience to push the spurs into yearly contender during kawhi's prime.

"ring chasing" needs to get thrown in the trash can along with "craft" (and all forms thereof), "efficient", "hero ball", "trending", and "sourced".

Murray deserves some time before they give up on him. I'm willing to suck it up and let him start and win 50+ games and finish 2nd or 3rd. For me, it's about building a sustainable young roster around Kawhi.

I agree. I thought he performed admirably in the playoffs and showed flashes of being really good. My point was more that Parker sucked pre-injury and if Murray wasn't able to take his spot at some point next season then that would have been an indication that Murray probably wasn't that good. The injury only strengthens that argument.

If they don't want to waive and stretch Parker out of loyalty I get it, and if Parker wants to work his butt off to be healthy enough to play I get that too, but it's not a sound decision basketball-wise

Agreed, but keeping Parker around as a $15 million back-up doesn't really accomplish that.

Why not? He's already under contract for '17-18 and the Spurs seem like they are setting things up for the 2018 free agency season (when Parker will be a UFA).

Seems better to see what he has left next year instead of stretching the contract over a longer period. If he's done, you just don't re-sign him (or he retires).

Why not? He's already under contract for '17-18 and the Spurs seem like they are setting things up for the 2018 free agency season (when Parker will be a UFA).

Seems better to see what he has left next year instead of stretching the contract over a longer period. If he's done, you just don't re-sign him (or he retires).

I can see the logic of getting the contract off the books as early as possible, but I don't think having someone with as much history with the franchise "backing up" Murray would be good for development. If Parker works his ass off to come back by January he will expect to play more than 10 minutes a game.

Parker is a replacement level player at best at this point in his career, it would be best for Murray's development to replace him with someone who has less baggage with the organization.

The out of left field Jerkbo love was unexpected. James Johnson is not affordable for the Spurs, just so you know. He's a perfect fit in Miami. Maybe he gets talked into signing with a SA or other for a 5 year deal for less money. I would guess teams want him for $10 on a short deal for fear he gains back his weight/loses his incentive.

Would be interested to see JJ work with a shooting coach. If he could get to 35%-40% from the corner, oh my.

Yeah, I only got to watch the 1 game Celtics v. Cavs, and Jerebko came in and completely altered that game in the C's favor. Just 1 game, but I was like "play this dude more. Love that energy."

Did not realize JJ was that expensive, as he is at what 4.6 million now, but I guess he is getting ready to go way, way up.

Also, from PH' backup PG list, Collison first, then maybe Jrue or Deron Will. After Teague, it starts to really drop off (for instance Ty Lawson - HELL NO).

Spurs Looking Seriously at Acquiring CP3 per ESPN

Agreed. They'll let Parker go or resign him at a favorable price. Most likely he would still start but Murray would get lots of minutes at PG and maybe a combo. I like Murray long term but I'd be surprised if fully develops in Parker's absence. I doubt Pop would put Parker on the bench either.

Last edited:
Agreed. They'll let Parker go or resign him at a favorable price. Most likely he would still start but Murray would get lots of minutes at PG and maybe a combo. I like Murray long term but I'd be surprised if fully develops in Parker's absence. I doubt Pop would put Parker on the bench either.

If you aren't going to play a NBA-starter caliber PG why not just roll out the 20 year old and let him grow into the role. At least Murray has the chance of being a top 20ish PG come playoff time. If he doesn't get there the season is a lost cause anyway.

I'm just saying that it will probably work itself out one way or another over the course of next season.

Young Parker started but often did not finish. Plenty of minutes for development and learning.

Parker in the 2017 play offs does not want to lose his prestigious starting spot. Parking coming off injury and a year of rehab? Maybe his ego let's him take a Manu minutes/vet/off then bench role. I really want 2017 playoff Parker as 6 man at the Q 1 5 min mark carving up 2nd framers. I'll blame zaza for this one as well. Or maybe the barry bad juju finally got him.

Point is moot until January. They won't cut him unless he says he can't go or the docs do. That won't be till most of the legit pieces are off the board at the earliest.

ThisThreadSucks_B.jpg

rumors of durant willing to take less money to keep their core together. y'all are just wasting your breath. dubs are running the west for at least another 3 years. ho-hum.

Back