• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

4-02-Billy-Madison-quotes.gif

I thought Tony was playing better than I had seen in years prior to this injury. Seems like I'm the only one who thought that.

I thought Marc Stein was laid off at ESPN. Or not until after the Finals and free agency?

I think I got about a dozen phone alerts within 5 minutes of that article.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/19521062/chris-paul-give-strong-consideration-san-antonio-spurs-free-agency-sources

Still not sure if this is really a possibility, or just something to talk about during a slow time in the sports news cycle.

I'd be absolutely shocked.

I don't think it's going to happen but it seems like it would be pretty easy to clear >$30 million for CP3 just by stretching TP's contract over two years and convincing Pau to decline his option. They can keep Simmons and Green while losing Mills and Dedmon.

I think this is extremely possible, and I think CP wants to badly. The only thing he has left to accomplish is getting a ring. He wants it desperately, as would anyone as competitive as he is, and he's running out of time and options. The Clips have done OK and given themselves chances, but it just isn't going to happen there. The only other teams who really have a chance to win a ring are the Warriors and Cavs, who don't need him obviously, and maybe the Celtics. But they've got a young star in Thomas who would be pissed off immeasurably if they signed CP. And that isn't at all what they need to spend money on, clearly.

I don't think the Spurs are as far behind GS as people think. People say they walked through the west 12-0, but they were down 25 at home to the Spurs before Kawhi went down. That is a big deal. Honestly, I think the Warriors were the better team and probably would have won the series, but you can't ignore being down 25 at home before the Spurs' star went down, and one of its PG's was out. Re: TP, he still has it when healthy, but at age 35+, health isn't a given and especially at the end of the year, even with managing minutes during the regular season. The Spurs need an PG badly, and he is exactly what Aldridge needs to be most effective: a true elite PG table setter, dime dropper, pick and roller. Mills nor TP are close to that. Would love Mills backing up CP, but good backup PG's are a dime a dozen. Mills is going to get offered big money, but he may end up elsewhere and try to prove he can be the man. And I wouldn't begrudge him that. But while he can probably be very good, he is not the PG you are going to win a ring with. CP, Kawhi and LM is a formidable core, and one that can be built around with any number of combinations. I think CP will take a pretty incredible pay cut to play with what is really the only team that gives him a chance for a ring. I suspect Pau would like to stay for that, but he is sort of the X factor. I don't see how he stays and CP comes. That is really the big sticking point, but maybe it can be worked out. I think the Spurs want it and CP REALLY wants it.

Scortching.

Those black and silver glasses just melted.

If they add trading LMA , a 1st Round pick from next year and maybe a couple of seconds to NO for Boogie, they could clear another $7M. NO will lose Boogie after next year and be able to keep or trade LMA.

They could free up close to $40M ($6+M currently under/$10M Parker/$16+M Pau/$7M LMA) by doing that, waive/stretch Parker and trading Pau for a long in the future second to team vastly under the cap like PHX or Indiana or even Minnesota.

This would allow them to sign a mid-level exception as well as keep Simmons and Green. They could draft Bell or Swannigan to be deeper at 4/5.

I would be pretty excited if it happened. I would have been more excited if Paul was a little younger but his game will age better than parker's. Lma for cousins? That would be a ridiculous off season.

I just don't think there is any way Paul turns down that contract.

It sounds like his role with the players association is a big factor. Hurts negotiations when guys like him take less money.

I would be pretty excited if it happened. I would have been more excited if Paul was a little younger but his game will age better than parker's. Lma for cousins? That would be a ridiculous off season.

I just don't think there is any way Paul turns down that contract.

The only reason I bring it up is that by Jan/Feb, they will be lucky to get a low 1st or 2nd round pick to rent him for two months. At least they have a shot to keep LMA for two years.

Chris will end up on the spurs

All this rumor shit is to gauge public opinion

Boogie is not going to the spurs, he hates Chris

Makes no sense rationally how it could happen, but it makes a lot of sense for both sides. Money and cap issues aside. The fact this is still a story speaks volumes. There is next to no reason it should be s story or possibilty, but ....

Last edited:
The only reason I bring it up is that by Jan/Feb, they will be lucky to get a low 1st or 2nd round pick to rent him for two months. At least they have a shot to keep LMA for two years.

LMA can be a free agent after next season. He has a player option.

Not that it made sense anyway.

He's not going to get that kind of money anywhere else.

Hey, if they let RC make the picks the Spurs send to the Pels, they could be stars. :)

Back