• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

This is all going to come down to CP3 chasing ring. How much salary is he willing to give us tp get to a team that has a better chance at winning the title than where he is. First he will have to convince himself that GM Doc is not going to get coach Doc enough good players, and that coach Doc isn't going to be able to coach the team to the championship. Then he would have to decide where is the best place to get the ring. San Antonio? or Cleveland or???

This is all going to come down to CP3 chasing ring. How much salary is he willing to give us tp get to a team that has a better chance at winning the title than where he is. First he will have to convince himself that GM Doc is not going to get coach Doc enough good players, and that coach Doc isn't going to be able to coach the team to the championship. Then he would have to decide where is the best place to get the ring. San Antonio? or Cleveland or???

San Antonio or the Lakers (if he's willing to wait a year) are the only realistic options. The Bucks could be an intriguing option but I'm not sure of their cap space and I doubt Chris wants to go to Milwaukee

Paul to the Spurs depends entirely on how much money he is willing to give up to truly compete for a championship. The Warriors have the roster they have because they are paying their four "stars" at least $50 million less than they are worth.

The Spurs can probably afford to pay Paul in the $25 million range without completely gutting the roster and they would gladly do so. It's the weakest position on the roster and although Murray showed some flashes in the playoffs, it is wishful thinking that he will give you anything above replacement level play over the next 3 years

So when he's 24 and when the Warriors window starts closing. I'd rather clear space to get cheap depth and clear space to retain players down the road.

I still think Houston is the best option especially after Harden knows he needs help due too playoff flame out . Out of the six teams CP3 should consider I rank them in this order Houston, San Antonio, Miami , Dallas and Orlando. Notice none of these teams have a state tax which is a must after giving up that 5th year.

San Antonio or the Lakers (if he's willing to wait a year) are the only realistic options. The Bucks could be an intriguing option but I'm not sure of their cap space and I doubt Chris wants to go to Milwaukee

Milwaukee would need Monroe to opt out and then trade at least two more people.

Wouldn't mind seeing CP come East and play with JJ and Collins.

This, but I think even more to pressure the Clips to give CP the full 5-year super max despite how much of an albatross that contract likely will be at the tail end.
He wants a no trade clause

He's getting the super max no matter what

So when he's 24 and when the Warriors window starts closing. I'd rather clear space to get cheap depth and clear space to retain players down the road.

I don't get the "let's just concede the next 3 years to the Warriors during the second best player in the league's prime on the hopes that our 21 year old PG will follow an even more improbable improvement arc than Kawhi Leonard" line of thinking.

I understand people on these boards have an irrational distaste for CP3 because he only stayed an extra year instead of 2 or 3 extra years, but damn, he's still a top 10 player and has shown no signs of slowing down.

Plus if I'm Chris and I'm going to the Spurs I don't think I'm asking for a 4 year deal anyways. If I'm him I take the 3 year deal with a player option on the back end knowing that I can probably go get a 4 year max deal from Charlotte two years from now and move back home.

if i were paul and wanted to make it work with the spurs i go 2 yr w/ player option next summer. parker and pau off the books and can get a raise or use that space for another asset. if it's just not working fit wise he can take his talents to south beach or wherever he wants.

this is all moot. i'm convinced paul is not going to leave his super max.

I don't get the "let's just concede the next 3 years to the Warriors during the second best player in the league's prime on the hopes that our 21 year old PG will follow an even more improbable improvement arc than Kawhi Leonard" line of thinking.

we know pop is not conceding anything. he thought the team this year had a very good shot at beating them. his anger when kawhi went out was clear. that's why i am convinced they'll end up staying the course. the parker injury just makes it likely they will explore a run at paul but it'll be someone else coming in for the back up role (assuming they are priced out of the mills sweepstakes which seems likely).

what experienced and cheap vet pgs will be available?

Last edited:
I don't think Pop would concede anything except the regular season. I think he'd be fine sacrificing some games to give Murray the ball in hopes he will learning the playoffs and/or Parker will be healthy and rested.

Right now I'm wondering if the front office can get rid of Pau's contract for anything like a 2nd round pick.

Spurs fans spend an inordinate amount of time talking about the 29th pick that averaged 3 pts a game as a rookie

If Paul is goona take the super max (I think he will but will never as much as sniff a ring), the Spurs should put the hard sell on Paul George in the 25 mil range on a 2 year deal with player option for year 2.

If Paul is goona take the super max (I think he will but will never as much as sniff a ring), the Spurs should put the hard sell on Paul George in the 25 mil range on a 2 year deal with player option for year 2.

That is CP3's dilemma. Max contract with Clips or less than that somewhere he has a better chance at a ring. How much is a shot or two or three at an NBA championship worth to him?

That is CP3's dilemma. Max contract with Clips or less than that somewhere he has a better chance at a ring. How much is a shot or two or three at an NBA championship worth to him?

Yup. Can't fault a guy for choosing the money (just like you can't fault KD for choosing the easy way out, happiness, whatever you want to call it), but staying with the Clips will and should negatively impact his legacy.

I don't think Pop would concede anything except the regular season. I think he'd be fine sacrificing some games to give Murray the ball in hopes he will learning the playoffs and/or Parker will be healthy and rested.

Right now I'm wondering if the front office can get rid of Pau's contract for anything like a 2nd round pick.

Believing that you had enough to beat the Warriors and Cavs is not mutually exclusive with wanting to upgrade your roster if the opportunity presents itself. Even if Murray's development and Parker's recovery end up as best case scenarios, believing that those two will be enough next May and June seems delusional.

Believing that you had enough to beat the Warriors and Cavs is not mutually exclusive with wanting to upgrade your roster if the opportunity presents itself. Even if Murray's development and Parker's recovery end up as best case scenarios, believing that those two will be enough next May and June seems delusional.

They'll look to upgrade, but is giving CP $Texas the way to upgrade? No. Getting younger, more athletic, and more versatile bigs would be the way to go. Murray developing into a long rangy defender (6-5 with 6-10 wingspan) has promise against the Warriors too.

Murray, Green, Simmons, Kawhi, ???? could be a great small ball counter to Steph, Klay, Iggy, KD, and Draymond. Find a few guys who could play that role (like Jordan Bell).

Last edited:
Back