• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Spurs Thread

They'll look to upgrade, but is giving CP $Texas the way to upgrade? No. Getting younger, more athletic, and more versatile bigs would be the way to go. Murray developing into a long rangy defender (6-5 with 6-10 wingspan) has promise against the Warriors too.

Murray, Green, Simmons, Kawhi, ???? could be a great small ball counter to Steph, Klay, Iggy, KD, and Draymond. Find a few guys who could play that role (like Jordan Bell).

I agree they shouldn't completely fit the roster and tie up cap space to sign Paul to a 4 year max deal.

But even if Paul wasn't available they should look to jettison some of their older bad contracts (Parker and Pau) and clear cap room for this year and/or next year. So if you are able to clear $35 million in cap room the question becomes do you:

1. Spend it on a top 10 player who happens to be the best defensive point guard in the league, is hungry for a title, and has the basketball IQ to learn the Spurs system in a day; or

2. Squander the second best player in the league's prime waiting on the long shot possibility that your 21 year old PG can hand with Steph Curry and Kyrie Irving.

Tough choice.

CP3 seems like the kind of guy who wants to get into ownership one day. My random guess is he chooses to amass as much capital as possible to put himself in a position to be a part-owner in later years. That, plus the work he put into establishing these max deals, leads me to believe he remains a Clipper and gets all the cash he can, while continuing to pursue yet more advertising opportunities. While he is a phenom of a player, and there is certainly the monetary value of exposure that comes with winning a ring, he also strikes me as a businessman at his core and will pursue the certain dollars, and hope he can manufacture a championship in LA to boot. Of course that isn't likely.

Woj reported that Lebron would go to the Lakers or Clippers if he leaves the Cavs in 2018. That could encourage CP to stay.

Woj reported that Lebron would go to the Lakers or Clippers if he leaves the Cavs in 2018. That could encourage CP to stay.

If that happens, does the NBA really need to go through the formality of having the NBA finals? Cant they just declare the Western Conference winner the Champion?

How about this for a fun/crazy scenario:

The Spurs trade LMA for a 1st Round pick (maybe 16-20)

Sign CP3 with the savings

Keep Pau

After next year, they will be over $40M under the cap and sign Lebron-

Pop's last years in SA have a core of Kawhi, CP3 and Lebron :)

If the Spurs can't get CP3 or Lowry how would the Spurs donks feel about Teague. Seems like he'd be a much cheaper option and has had success running the Spurs system before.

If you are convinced even a slight upgrade at PG puts you on par with the Warriors he would seem like a good option.

If the Spurs can't get CP3 or Lowry how would the Spurs donks feel about Teague. Seems like he'd be a much cheaper option and has had success running the Spurs system before.

If you are convinced even a slight upgrade at PG puts you on par with the Warriors he would seem like a good option.

I would not be shocked if Coangelo isn't thinking about Teague as a back-up plan to Lowry.

I'd feel better about Teague than CP. Younger, cheaper and doesn't require the ball as much. I have no idea what Teague would command on the open market after a PG heavy draft.

I'd feel better about Teague than CP. Younger, cheaper and doesn't require the ball as much. I have no idea what Teague would command on the open market after a PG heavy draft.
I don't think cp3 likes to dominate the ball but gong Back to college he had never played with a many players who could create their own shot. If you watched him with team USA he played totally different.

I don't think cp3 likes to dominate the ball but gong Back to college he had never played with a many players who could create their own shot. If you watched him with team USA he played totally different.

Fair point.

CP3 seems like the kind of guy who wants to get into ownership one day. My random guess is he chooses to amass as much capital as possible to put himself in a position to be a part-owner in later years. That, plus the work he put into establishing these max deals, leads me to believe he remains a Clipper and gets all the cash he can, while continuing to pursue yet more advertising opportunities. While he is a phenom of a player, and there is certainly the monetary value of exposure that comes with winning a ring, he also strikes me as a businessman at his core and will pursue the certain dollars, and hope he can manufacture a championship in LA to boot. Of course that isn't likely.

That kind of reminds me of Shaq when asked what it was like to be wealthy.

He was like, I'm RICH...the person who owns this team and pays all of us is WEALTHY.

I can see the argument for Teague at around $15 million per vs. Chris at $35 million per, if only from a current cap space standpoint. But Chris at around $25 million, if you can get him for that, is a no brainer over any other free agent PG.

Chris may be older but you are only signing either guy to a 4 year deal. I'm comfortable betting that chris provides at least twice as much value over then next 4 years than Teague.

19105671_1415123348584042_4555266992475591899_n.jpg

A Spurs roster breakdown in advance of the draft.
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/6/16/15815564/nba-draft-2017-san-antonio-spurs-roster-analysis

2011 pick Hungarian Adam Hanga is coming over. He was the Defensive POY of EuroLeague. He looks like a capable backup for Kawhi or he could play Simmons' role if he leaves.

2015 pick Nikola Milutinov is a 7-3 C who could take over Dedmon's roster spot.

2013 Livio Jean-Charles could get another shot after failing to make the roster last season.

The Spurs will add young and cheap players. It's just a matter of if Simmons, Mills, Lee, and Manu will be on it and if they can figure out a way to move Pau.

A Spurs roster breakdown in advance of the draft.
https://www.poundingtherock.com/2017/6/16/15815564/nba-draft-2017-san-antonio-spurs-roster-analysis

2011 pick Hungarian Adam Hanga is coming over. He was the Defensive POY of EuroLeague. He looks like a capable backup for Kawhi or he could play Simmons' role if he leaves.

2015 pick Nikola Milutinov is a 7-3 C who could take over Dedmon's roster spot.

2013 Livio Jean-Charles could get another shot after failing to make the roster last season.

The Spurs will add young and cheap players. It's just a matter of if Simmons, Mills, Lee, and Manu will be on it and if they can figure out a way to move Pau.

That's a great breakdown, thanks for sharing.

The thing I keep coming back to with the Spurs is whether they can compete with the Warriors without a top 15 PG. I don't think they can and I don't see any young and cheap options out there that could fill that role.

Tyson Chandler is the only one that actually contributed to his team's championship.

Back