• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Excel Help Thread

Thanks! I'll try that first thing in the morning and see if it works. I keep forgetting to put in a today column when I try formulas. That makes things so much easier.

I'm working on pulling our health insurance amounts for all employees. We have two broad types of plans with 11 variables under each. I have a table in another worksheet where I have all the values laid out. I need help with a formula. I have columns on a big spreadsheet showing whether an employee is in HPOS or HRA, then another column showing the numbers 1-5 or 11-16 which signify employee only, employee spouse, etc...

Thanks for any help.

Last edited:
I'm working on pulling our health insurance amounts for all employees. We have two broad types of plans with 11 variables under each. I have a table in another worksheet where I have all the values laid out. I need help with a formula. I have columns on a big spreadsheet showing whether an employee is in HPOS or HRA, then another column showing the numbers 1-5 or 11-16 which signify employee only, employee spouse, etc...

Thanks for any help.

I can't see the image, but it sounds like you need a vlookup formula?
Since you're trying to use two different criteria to look things up, you basically need to add an additional column, concatenate the two columns (HPOS/HRA and the 1-11 number) and then use THAT column for your simple vlookup to the value table (assuming there is a column in the values table that has values like "HPOS2").

Last edited:
I tried tinypic but it didn't work. I'm giving up and just doing data sorts. I can get it done pretty fast with that.

edited post above.

Thanks. I'll try it again but for now it works. It took me about 10 minutes to do data sorts, links, and copy and paste everything. Vlookup was working for the most part but I had a couple of errors in the small departments I was testing so I didn't trust it. I'll try to figure out after my meeting.

Thanks. I'll try it again but for now it works. It took me about 10 minutes to do data sorts, links, and copy and paste everything. Vlookup was working for the most part but I had a couple of errors in the small departments I was testing so I didn't trust it. I'll try to figure out after my meeting.

You can change False to True for inexact matches.

Resurrecting this thread with what is surely a n00b question, but I am in need of some help. I have a sheet with activity preferences submitted from kids in my program. They submit their top 10 choices for 8 activities. The resulting data breaks out those choices into columns 1-10 corresponding with a kid. I would like to be able to quickly assess what our needs might be for those activities by being able to see how many kids selected, for example, "basketball" in their top X. I'm sure there is a simple pivot table or something to be able to sort this, but I'm tired of striking out on it this morning. Thanks in advance, nerds!

I haven't done pivot tables in forever, but can you use countif(range including 1-8, "basketball")?

You can also try a sumifs formula... the criteria is if the value in a column equals HPOS and a second criteria >=1 but <6, and then do similarly for the other options

Alright folks. Need some help (this is probably pretty simple but I am awful at Excel).

I have a column that has a lot of monthly premiums in it. This column is not tied to another column, but is the sum of a base premium and a tax, so just one number. We do not have the separation of these two because we are taking over an account from a different company, and just have to equal the total amount in each cell. We have to break it down for tax purposes though, so we need a base premium, and the taxes that you add to it to get the number in the cell.

The total in this each cell of the column is X + 2% = Column A Cell. I need to find what "X" is though.

For example:

The first cell is $109.29. What I need to find is the number that, when 2% is added to it equals $109.29.

By trial and error I can clearly get to the number eventually (it's $107.14 or $107.15), but there are 500+ numbers I have to figure out, so I'm not going to manually do it.

Ex: 107.14 + 2% = $109.28282828
107.15 + 2% = $109.293

Please help, and I can explain more clearly if need be.

It could be. Let me begin this by stating that I am basically remedial in mathematics.

I see how you got your accounting degree. Good stuff.

In all seriousness it's a little different than that because a policy fee is involved, but this is a great start.

Thanks.

Glad they're paying you the big bucks to move to Charleston.

I feel like this is the kind of question you should have farmed out to a smaller group of people before you posted it in a very public forum.

Back