• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Excel Help Thread

Excel Chart Help

I know there's another thread for Excel help but I don't want this to get lost in all that.

I'm working on a project for our website at work and instead of doing a standard pie chart, I would like to do a chopped up Dollar Bill to show the percentages. Something like this is what I have in mind.
dollar.jpg

Create a chart
Go to Format Data Series (right click on the pie)
Go to Fill
Select Picture or texture fill
Insert a picture of dollar bill from the internets that you have downloaded
Profit

Bawse. Didn't know you could do that so easily. I am going to snazz up some PPTs.

Bump

I have a spreadsheet that lists all costs from various medical providers, some of which are related to the accident and some of which aren't. In C5:C27 we have the costs, and in J5:J27 we have a True/False listing for whether or not they're related. I used a SumIf function to get the related total, but what I want to be able to do now is to filter the data by provider and get the related subtotal for each one. Looked online but haven't been able to get any of those solutions to work for me. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Bump

I have a spreadsheet that lists all costs from various medical providers, some of which are related to the accident and some of which aren't. In C5:C27 we have the costs, and in J5:J27 we have a True/False listing for whether or not they're related. I used a SumIf function to get the related total, but what I want to be able to do now is to filter the data by provider and get the related subtotal for each one. Looked online but haven't been able to get any of those solutions to work for me. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Do you need to filter, or do you just want a list by provider? You can use SUMIFS (basically sumif but with multiple criteria).

ETA: So you would list each supplier, using column C as the sum range, and criteria 1 is column J is True, and criteria 2 is that the provider is equal to whatever provider you're looking for. If you need help you can list all the related cells so I can show you how the formula would look.

Last edited:
i prefer sumproduct for this if that's what tyou are trying to achieve.

Do you need to filter, or do you just want a list by provider? You can use SUMIFS (basically sumif but with multiple criteria).

ETA: So you would list each supplier, using column C as the sum range, and criteria 1 is column J is True, and criteria 2 is that the provider is equal to whatever provider you're looking for. If you need help you can list all the related cells so I can show you how the formula would look.

couldnt you also just do a pivot table?

Given the computer (il)literacy of the people who will be manipulating and entering the data, it would be easier to filter, although I could use that as a fallback option.

i prefer sumproduct for this if that's what tyou are trying to achieve.

This is what I found online, and seems to be correct, but my attempts to modify it resulted in abysmal failure.

Last edited:
Given the computer (il)literacy of the people who will be manipulating and entering the data, it would be easier to filter, although I could use that as a fallback option.

This is what I found online, and seems to be correct, but my attempts to modify it resulted in abysmal failure.

post the formula youre using or the workbook, and i'll fix it.

Ok. Serious wizardry needed, and I'm not sure this is possible.

So on one tab I have table that is populated by an OLDB query. It contains explanations of column headings on another tab, what type of data should be inputted in each column, and for some fields the prescribed look-up possibilities (like types of accounting events or fund names). i am trying to lock down the other tab where people will be populating the data by adding a drop-down in in those fields with what the query pulls as possible lookup values. the issue is that sometimes different funds have different lookups with more or less possibilities so the ranges change for where the drop-down list can come from.

any ideas?

so what i need is a way to make a dynamic range that changes the named range for column c based on what column a has. does that make sense?

yes.

essentially it'd be like if column a has "z" then column c should be in the range. the instances that have "z" will always be in a row but they may not always start at the same point.

got it

will post solution in morning if anyone wants to know.

Excel Help

I've got a fairly large file on Excel. It is set up as 1 worksheet (no extras/blanks) and all of the data is a table.

Everytime I try to save it, I am informed that "Excel cannot complete this task with available resources. Choose less data or close other applications." Nothing is open besides my antivirus and Excel.

Thoughts on how to solve this? I really don't want to break up all of this information into 2 files.

just curious, but what are you tracking that is so large?

my largest file (which is pretty damn big) comes nowhere close to how large you said yours was last week.
is the data pulled from somewhere that it would be linked to outside sources?

just curious, but what are you tracking that is so large?

my largest file (which is pretty damn big) comes nowhere close to how large you said yours was last week.
is the data pulled from somewhere that it would be linked to outside sources?

No outside source, no calculations. It is just straight text. I'm debating if this should go into Access.

Back