• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Trump to expand Hobby Lobby to "moral convictions"

Okay then we are on the same page. Thanks for clarifying.

Well I can only say how I feel. It's not religious. I can't argue personhood as you have shared here

I would have to say the baby lives through the moms womb. If the brain isn't alive as you say, I look at it as the brain isn't fully developed yet. However, the determination to end the baby's life in utero because baby is still growing and needs to live off of its mother is the same baby that isn't developed enough to walk and talk and eat on its own outside of the womb either.

The machine is not the uterus. The baby is dead living on the machine as all other humans who have been declared brain dead as in a fully functioning brain that has been injured and dies. The machine is a simple pump. There is nothing artificial about a baby developing brain inside of the womb. The womb isn't a pump and the baby is alive and continuing to grow and live.

Hopefully be a deac someday too!

By the way, babies die inside the womb. I have experienced (not me personally) death in the womb. The moms I knew had babies die in the third trimester. They would carry till labor. That was 27 years ago. I know many women this has happened to over the years.

but what does Karlllllllllllllllllllllllll think?

KARLLLLLLLLLLL thinks Moonz may be pregnant and is planning a baby shower!!

Karllll knows moon needs a friend...very, very badly...it's tough for him...he stabs them all in the back...

Now I'll be a friend to Karllllllll and tell him not to use the expression "very very badly". Lolol

How-Old-Is-Karl-Lagerfeld-Chanel-Designer-Revealed-To-Be-77-Again.jpg

You have a strong opinion about conception and value. Common sense really has nothing to do with it. You can pick and choose any point from conception on and argue.

Completely disagree with your last sentence. There are clear moments in the development of the fetus that could mark the beginning of life and/or personhood depending on one's beliefs. All others would be arbitrary and irrational.

Fertilization
Heartbeat
Movement
Viability
Neural structure to support consciousness
Actual consciousness
Birth
Self awareness

Those are the only milestones I can think of that might justify different treatment of the fetus or child before and after the milestone.

It never makes sense because the people that support these weird bullshit positions,usually in the name of religion, contradict that moral high ground with some other hypocritical action two seconds later. Like hobby lobby and their investments in companies that make birth control.

So much this.

Look at how Republicans treat single pregnant women who choose not to have an abortion compared to how they treat those who do have an abortion.

A friend of mine from Wake posted this with this article about "The Secret Evangelicals at Planned Parenthood."
http://www.marieclaire.com/politics...ned-parenthood/?dom=fb_bst&src=social&mag=mar

I know so many of these people, particularly when I was in college. I remember MULTIPLE couples in college that accidentally became pregnant, but they were against abortion as it was "against god's will" or they considered it killing and therefore breaking a commandment. But they were all much more scared of telling their parents who were paying their bills than going against god, so they all got abortions. One such person I know had 3 in two years. People always tell me stuff like this for some reason, even when I'm not a close friend. I guess because as a general rule I don't gossip, and they wanted to tell someone. Anyway that particularly chick I unfriended on FB a couple years ago after seeing all her evangelical tirades against abortion.
1f644.png
🙄
1f644.png
🙄. Had she not come from a considerable amount of money and had actually had all three children, she wouldn't have a pot to piss in these days. But of course she feels quite holier than thou because I guess she believes her own lies. Almost wish I hadn't unfriended her so she could see this...she's certainly the epitome of high class white trash. Even with a degree from WFU.

Here's a quote from the article:

Like Elizabeth, Megan's* childhood in the deep South was steeped in evangelical moral and social codes. She went to church every Sunday and attended a private Christian school from the fifth grade on. "It was a part of every aspect of my life. All the people I associated with were evangelical," Megan, now 34, recounts. At the time, she took their teachings to heart. "I'm a people pleaser and I wanted to do what was right. I got straight As. I played sports. I went along with it."
Then Megan went away to college and, after a year of dating her first boyfriend, decided she was ready for sex. She knew she needed birth control, but she was worried that if she used her health insurance to pay for it, her mother would find out she was sexually active. So Megan went to a nearby Planned Parenthood instead—easy enough to hide if she paid in cash. "Nothing with any sort of paper trail," she says.
To go to Planned Parenthood—a place many evangelicals associate only with abortions—was an uncomfortable step. But Megan had come to grips with the fact that she was already crossing a red line by engaging in premarital sex; she decided she might as well be responsible about it.

By senior year, Megan and her boyfriend had broken up. She was dating around for the first time and had stopped taking birth control. That's when a guy "took advantage" of her. She hesitates as she relates the incident, drawing in a sharp breath. Then: "There was a situation where I felt pressured to go beyond the point that I wanted to go."
After the assault, Megan discovered that she was pregnant. The news devastated her. Which explains why, despite her upbringing, she made an extreme decision: to return to Planned Parenthood and get an abortion.
Megan had done the moral math. It was worse to endure the disgrace of being an unmarried mother than it was to live with the secret—and the guilt—of terminating the pregnancy. "There was just so much shame in being pregnant and unmarried," she explains. "I thought, There is no way I can face my mother and my community back home with this." Again she paid for everything in cash. To this day, her family doesn't know.

Maybe you will finally answer PHDOC

WHAT is it with Christians and Evangelicals? I was raised in the North. Is the entire south like this? How much of the south is made up of these extreme evangelical nuts? Can you answer me this time?

Sorry, I generally ignore your posts. No offense. I didn't realize you've been asking me a question. What is your actual question? "What's the deal?" is a Seinfeld bit. Obviously the "entire south" isn't made up of any one group.

So this is about a different thread.

So regardless of science or religion, the beginnng of life is debatable always

Pretty much any philosophical question is debatable. That doesn't mean there isn't an objectively correct answer.

I would love it for someone else to engage in the debate by presenting an argument for their position instead of copping out with some version of "let's agree to disagree"

maybe we should just stick to "it's not a person until it comes out of the body"

that's pretty simple.

So cells growing outside the body without assistance means life, strange definition.

Sorry to be away and not able to continue the discussion. And maybe sorry to revive a bit this thread. I just won't have much availability to be here for a while.

RJ's right, the OP is really not about "abortion" so much as health insurance and influences wrt particular coverages. I have never favored a government "takeover" of health care, but we do need, IMO, government regulation of the same. Within limits, deductibles, co-pays, etc. can reasonably vary. But what testing or treatments are covered or not should be based on factors of value, necessity, etc. Not religion. Not that any such decisions are necessarily simple or straightforward. But they should be based, IMO, on medical, ethical, and economic considerations. Yet even then, such determinations don't occur in a cultural vacuum.

I also agree that it makes no sense to argue for the value of unborn human life and seem relatively (or at all) unconcerned about human life after birth.

Assigning value to human life is ideally done subjectively by the one living their particular life. Most living organisms, yes even single celled ones, seem to strive to live, so the "desire" (merely biologic or conscious) to live is generally reasonable to assume. And do live until they naturally degenerate and dissipate, find themselves in an non-sustaining environment, or are killed by another organism (typically as a food source but maybe as a perceived competitor for resources, etc.).

We are naturally, however, compelled to assign some value to other things (alive or not). And we must make such evaluations both as individuals and collectively as a society. And these evaluations are largely just conditioned preferences. Being able to point to some "objective" property of an object is not the same as any object possessing an "intrinsic" value. Value determinations are inherently subjective and require an evaluator.

So it is for us to decide if and to what extent we value pre-born human life. At this time in our society, determination of that value is largely left to the parents, particularly/especially the mother. So there's nothing "intrinsic" about it. Some are highly valued, others not. Or not as much as the life of the mother unencumbered by parenthood, or unembarrassed by unplanned or unwed pregnancy.

The notion of personhood, useful or even necessary as it may be, is an artificial construct. Usually designed to exclude the non-persons from certain rights, privileges and protections granted to persons in a society. Ultimately it's just a way to express a subjective value preference, even if based on some objective property.

Hell, Eric Trump says opponents of his Dad are non-persons! [They’re not even people”: why Eric Trump’s dehumanizing language matters]

Last edited:
Sorry to be away and not able to continue the discussion. And maybe sorry to revive a bit this thread. I just won't have much availability to be here for a while.

RJ's right, the OP is really not about "abortion" so much as health insurance and influences wrt particular coverages. I have never favored a government "takeover" of health care, but we do need, IMO, government regulation of the same. Within limits, deductibles, co-pays, etc. can reasonably vary. But what testing or treatments are covered or not should be based on factors of value, necessity, etc. Not religion. Not that any such decisions are necessarily simple or straightforward. But they should be based, IMO, on medical, ethical, and economic considerations. Yet even then, such determinations don't occur in a cultural vacuum.

I also agree that it makes no sense to argue for the value of unborn human life and seem relatively (or at all) unconcerned about human life after birth.

Assigning value to human life is ideally done subjectively by the one living their particular life. Most living organisms, yes even single celled ones, seem to strive to live, so the "desire" (merely biologic or conscious) to live is generally reasonable to assume. And do live until they naturally degenerate and dissipate, find themselves in an non-sustaining environment, or are killed by another organism (typically as a food source but maybe as a perceived competitor for resources, etc.).

We are naturally, however, compelled to assign some value to other things (alive or not). And we must make such evaluations both as individuals and collectively as a society. And these evaluations are largely just conditioned preferences. Being able to point to some "objective" property of an object is not the same as any object possessing an "intrinsic" value. Value determinations are inherently subjective and require an evaluator.

So it is for us to decide if and to what extent we value pre-born human life. At this time in our society, determination of that value is largely left to the parents, particularly/especially the mother. So there's nothing "intrinsic" about it. Some are highly valued, others not. Or not as much as the life of the mother unencumbered by parenthood, or unembarrassed by unplanned or unwed pregnancy.

The notion of personhood, useful or even necessary as it may be, is an artificial construct. Usually designed to exclude the non-persons from certain rights, privileges and protections granted to persons in a society. Ultimately it's just a way to express a subjective value preference, even if based on some objective property.

Hell, Eric Trump says opponents of his Dad are non-persons! [They’re not even people”: why Eric Trump’s dehumanizing language matters]

BINGO!!

Nothing I posted in the OP had to do with abortion and the issue doesn't have anything to do with abortion. It's about the extremely dangerous path the Hobby Lobby decision created and the expanded problems Trump's boneheaded, evil EO intentionally created. If implemented, the health and lives of millions of Americans are at stake.

Back