• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

UK Election

wsc8521s

Rusty Larue
Reaction score
Looks like we could be in for yet another doozy. Conservative PM May called the election to increase the conservative majority ahead of Brexit negotations, and she was waaaaay ahead in the polls when she did so.

But she started leaking popularity and now the exit poll the whole UK media uses -- which has been incredibly accurate the last two elections -- is predicting no party will have a majority in Parliament.

Twitter stream: https://twitter.com/i/live/861732137824788481

And the left wing went further left and made gains...

Going to be interesting to see what coalition gets formed. Lots of maneuvering to be done

_96404901_2200_exitpoll_national-seat.png

I guess having the world wide face and leader of conservative policies be Trump isn't going so well, I was told by jhmd he isn't conservative though so it's alright.

I glance at the Guardian and the Telegraph daily. Labor agreed to abide by the Brexit referendum. That took away May's big bugaboo issue. The attacks allowed Labor to point to her alleged failings with regard to the staffing of the police force while she was Home Secretary. (The national government has much more to do with policing over there.)

One would think that it's a done deal for Labor, Liberal Democrats and the SNP to join forces, but the latter suffered losses and Corbyn said he will not unite with other parties. Technically, the Conservatives could stay in power but that would be a long shot.

Agreeing to abide by the results of Brexit may have been the key decision for Labor.

Last edited:
A shift 10 seats in either direction from the exit poll would be huge. One way gives the conservatives a majority, the other makes it nigh impossible they'd be able to command a majority with other parties (a necessity in the UK)

If there's gonna be a swing of 10 (or more seats), looking increasingly like that will be in Labour's direction.

May is finished. People don't like a phony, evasive person. Shocker!

Anyone in Europe that receives the President pussy grabber question and refuses to answer with an unequivocal "fuck no" will find the same fate unless it's a country destined for fascism and/or one Sailor teaches students in.

Looks like a majority of people will vote for a center(centre)-left government, but will get a right-wing one.

Sounds familiar. Conservs will be hanging on by the smallest of threads doe, and May is toast.

May (no pun intended) have yet another election ASAP

I'm no fan of Theresa May, but I'm hoping she is able to form a functional government. Jeremy Corbyn is a vile man, a vestige of the violent, authoritarian "left" of the middle part of this century in western Europe. He's spent his life supporting or excusing terrorists - be they the IRA, Hamas, Hezbollah or smaller fringe groups elsewhere. He's trashed NATO and any form of broader western society, along with a wide streak of anti-semetism running through it all. He's a nativist and an isolationist every bit as much as someone like Bannon in the US.

The world is a better place without people like him in charge. The response to right wing populism and nationalism isn't dredging back up the demons of left wing populism and nationalism and neither one is better than the other.

Nate Silver tweeted this morning that every single European nationalistic party has underperformed polling since Donald was elected. Not quite sure what that forebodes but is an interesting tidbit

May plans to form coalition government with the Democratic Unionists - a Northern Ireland party. Will be interesting to see what they seek in return.

Back