• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's the nicest watch you own?

9a6a0458752d46439002e2f87a803d96.jpg

It's waterproof, so I finally can tell time while I'm in the shower.

Watches are obsolete and jewelry. The latter could be forgiven when the former wasn't true, but now that's not the case.

Might as well make it match your bro necklace.

thinking watches are obsolete (I suppose because of cell phones?) is kind of a douchey opinion.

They are obsolete. Vry few ppl actually need a watch (this is in anticipation of your granola retort abt some free climber that only hangs out (pun intended) where there is no cell service. That bro or fembro should be able to use the sun to tell time). If you had to choose between your watch and your iphone you aren't choosing the watch. Besides your phone, your laptop, desktop, car, and every place you go has clocks everywhere. You have to try to not know what time it is.

So it's just jewelry at this point. And man jewelry is silly.

They are obsolete. Vry few ppl actually need a watch (this is in anticipation of your granola retort abt some free climber that only hangs out (pun intended) where there is no cell service. That bro or fembro should be able to use the sun to tell time). If you had to choose between your watch and your iphone you aren't choosing the watch. Besides your phone, your laptop, desktop, car, and every place you go has clocks everywhere. You have to try to not know what time it is.

So it's just jewelry at this point. And man jewelry is silly.

It's not a matter of whether or not there's cell service, and yes, I'd pick my iphone over a watch. I just hate people constantly being on their phones, and there are instances when it's inappropriate (or should be) to pull out your phone to see what time it is. Enter: the watch.

Looking at your watch in a meeting is a good power move if used correctly

or any time you want to be the adult looking at your watch to see what time it is, since you own one because you're a responsible adult and recognize it's not always cool to pull out your phone to check the time.

Not to derail this enthralling conversation, but does anyone have any experience with Orient watches? From what I read/see, they're high quality (handmade in one location in Japan), look good, and are way cheaper than Swiss. Also open to any other reasonably-priced options folks would recommend.

I can't imagine not wearing a watch. Then again I'm fucking 50 years old. I have 2 Rolexes. One black face with silver stainless band Submariner I bought over 20 years ago, and a green face Submariner with silver and gold bracelet that I won. I wear them both about equally. Neither one of them keep decent time, so yes it begs the question why the hell do I wear them. I don't want to know the answer.

I'm really surprised that nobody has posted they wear an Apple Watch.

This is the nicest/only watch I own. I've had it for about 13 years now. I like the titanium as it's really light. It also keeps excellent time. I think it was less than $500.

SLL015.jpg

I inherited an Oyster Perpetual from my father-in-law. It's pretty sweet. I like that Omega.

Back