• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

What's the nicest watch you own?

One time I was staying in the Beverly Hilton for work (site of the Golden Globes) and there was a jewelry store in the lobby with watch safe you could buy. Man to have the scratch where you're in a position to need a safe for your watches...

Hamilton khaki field auto on one side and a thin Fitbit strap on the other for the health/exercise stuff. Super cool combo, although if I had to go with only one the Fitbit would stay because I’m currently more addicted to health stats than mechanical watches.

good friend of mine had a regular card game 5 or so years ago. long time friends etc. they would take an annual Vegas trip. at some point this guy made a ton of money back in the dot com days so he was treated really well in vegas. dude won 100k during one of their trips and he took them to the hotel store about spent 50k on watches for his buddy. i think that trip and game ended soon after because he started gambling and losing a ton of money. my buddy has a 10k watch though.

on the other hand my (i thought) "fancy" $200 watch was a gift a few years ago. it stopped working and i stopped wearing watches.

My wife has a Rolex that was a graduation present from her parents and I don't get it. It's never accurate. I understand you have to like wind it all the time and it is based on your movement, but nothing. She now wears an Apple Watch I got her.

My android phone.

Technically I have a Rolex that belonged to my dad but I'm keeping it for my son.

its-your-turn-my-watch-has-ended.gif

spend your money on whatever makes you happy, but in terms of bang for your buck there is nothing worse than a 4 figure watch. most people that know enough about watches to get that its a nice watch are not impressed by that watch

I have a Fitbit. I thought I wanted a nice watch for awhile but changed my mind.

I do think I’m about to buy some Tumi luggage though.

spend your money on whatever makes you happy, but in terms of bang for your buck there is nothing worse than a 4 figure watch. most people that know enough about watches to get that its a nice watch are not impressed by that watch

i don't know about watches being a bad bang for your buck; luxury watches don't depreciate much, and a lot of them actually appreciate over time, so it's not a bad place to spend money if you like it

I have 2 Rolexes and I swear I have no idea where they are. No wait, 3. But I haven't worn one in about 5 years due to my Apple watch. My wife keeps that stuff somewhere so she knows where they are. They are terrible watches that keep terrible time. The first one I bought, the 2nd one I won from a manufacturer, and the 3rd was inherited from my father. No way would I ever buy one for myself again.

I used to think watches were stupid because I always had my iPhone with me and was normally staring at a computer screen anyhow. But a few years back I was given a Garmin GPS watch and started wearing it for runs, etc. And I freaking love having it on all the time now. I pick up my iPhone far less often to see what time it is when I'm bored, which I hope makes me look like less of a tool because I'm bored a shit ton.

I've learned from this thread that expensive watches aren't very good at keeping time, literally their only job except for making you look fancy.

i don't know about watches being a bad bang for your buck; luxury watches don't depreciate much, and a lot of them actually appreciate over time, so it's not a bad place to spend money if you like it

i wasnt really talking about this way, moreso in the satisfaction of showing off your fancy new purchase bang for your buck way

i do think 4 figure watches hold their value well, i dont think they are rare enough to be the ones that really appreciate much. and if they do it'll take a really long time.

Yeah, I've looked into it. Most watches depreciate pretty hard. There's also a crazy unspoken system of being able to get a discount on a new one at certain dealers

Probably not up Palmas aisle, but does anyone know anything about fancy wooden watches? I’ve seen a few that interested me.

I have a Rolex that I bought new but haven’t worn in at least 5 years. I wear an Apple Watch, instead.

Back