• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

you like colangelo's trade vwls? (let's assume the protections aren't game changers)

it's already been reported. it's the lakers pick from 2018 and the kings pick from 2019. there are protections but they haven't been reported yet, don't know if one or both have protections. new CBA let's you put protections on other teams picks you own outright.

oh wow, this was based on a Woj tweet. he just amended it.

@WojVerticalNBA
Clarification on deal: Besides its 2017 FRP, Philly sends '18 Lakers pick w/ protections. If it doesn't convey, 76ers send 2019 Kings pick.

thats a pretty good deal for philly imo without knowing the protection on the 18 pick. fultz fits best by far with what they already have.

oh wow, this was based on a Woj tweet. he just amended it.

@WojVerticalNBA
Clarification on deal: Besides its 2017 FRP, Philly sends '18 Lakers pick w/ protections. If it doesn't convey, 76ers send 2019 Kings pick.

thats a pretty good deal for philly imo without knowing the protection on the 18 pick. fultz fits best by far with what they already have.

The Kings Pick is probably the better of the two picks

@DerekBodnerNBA
Celtics will get Lakers pick if it falls between 2 and 5 in the 2018 draft, per league source. If not, the Celtics will get the Kings in '19

lol that is a specific protection... protected on both sides. good deal for both imo #coldtake

you like colangelo's trade vwls? (let's assume the protections aren't game changers)

Trade seems good to me. Really nice to get to keep all of the Lakers ping pong balls for Luka next year and only give up 1 extra pick. Even though it will very likely be a really strong pick.

it's already been reported. it's the lakers pick from 2018 and the kings pick from 2019. there are protections but they haven't been reported yet, don't know if one or both have protections. new CBA let's you put protections on other teams picks you own outright.

If that's it and it doesn't include the Sixers pick for this year, it's a great deal. If it's those two and the Sixers pick this year, it's a terrible deal.

RJ, the trade is:

for
#3 and
Lakers pick if it falls 2-5 in '18
If not, Sixers use Lakers pick in '18 and Celtics get Kings pick in '19

That's the full deal.

i thought the #3 was implied. anyway it's changed since then if you read the latter posts.

the more i think about it the more i like the trade for philly and dislike the trade for BOS unless it's a parlay into another trade for established stud.

Last edited:
@DerekBodnerNBA
Celtics will get Lakers pick if it falls between 2 and 5 in the 2018 draft, per league source. If not, the Celtics will get the Kings in '19

lol that is a specific protection... protected on both sides. good deal for both imo #coldtake

If the Celtics get #3 this year and #2-5 next year, that's too much. If the Sixers keep next year's pick, it's a good deal.

The Sixers should be in great shape to sign a top free agent. The will have to spend about $40-50M.

woof danny

woooooooooof

woof danny

woooooooooof

Danny probably likes Jackson a lot and values the top 3 about equal. But Ainge's draft track record wouldn't exactly fill me with confidence that he knows better than the consensus.

What would be perfect is if the Lakers beat the Celtics for #5 and #10. Then, Sacramento takes Lonzo Ball and Levar has to go to the Siberia of the NBA.

Last edited:
How about the ultimate wet dream for the Sixers and nightmare for the NBA. The Sixers do the following:

Trade Jerryd Bayless (frees up $9M)
Don't pick up Henderson's option
Trade Okafor (frees up almost $5M)

#1 Pick adds a $7M "hold"

Sixers are at about $29.5M in used cap.

They sign free agent Steph Curry
They sign opt out Kevin Durant

New Sixers starting lineup:

F- Durant
F- Simmons
C- Embiid
G- Curry
G- Fultz
Sixth Man - Saric -can literally replace any of the starting five

Steph wouldn't even have to handle the ball much. His career would be lengthened. Imagine Steph being basically a spot up shooter and sometime ballhandler. With Embiid behind him, he could also relax more on D.

If Embiid is healthy and Simmons is anywhere near the player he's supposed to be, that team is much better than the Warriors.

It won't happen, but it could be done. :)

Are you that high on MF?
Ainge's seeming allergy to offensively gifted players is just starting to annoy me. Fultz, in my opinion, is the only one in this draft with the potential to be a #1 option on offense for a contender. Josh Jackson and Jaylen Brown seem a bit redundant. The return with those protections is just hella weak to me.

The timing is also a bit strange, unless Ainge has plans to turn this pick around for an established player or additional picks. The Lakers, although not very likely, could very well pick Jackson, which would leave the Celtics with Ball or Tatum or whomever. Why not pick Fultz and make sure the Lakers pick Ball before doing this deal?

This also suggests that they're gonna give Isaiah a max deal. No. Bueno. At. All.

Last edited:
yeah.

I have some mixed feelings. On the one hand, I think Fultz has like a 25% chance to become Westbrook in a few years, and I think you take that bet 10 times out of 10.

On the other, I like Jackson a lot, and I think he's a more immediate fit (if not necessarily a better fit) with the current roster. I have a hunch that he's going to be a better three point shooter than Fultz, and I think he's different enough from Brown that both can be played at the same time.

The protections on the Lakers' pick are interesting. Ayo has it backwards in his post above; if the Lakers' pick lands at #6, we get the Kings' pick the following year. Which, okay. I think either way we get a top 5 pick out of this, and probably next year rather than in 2019, which is nice.

As Ayo mentioned, this probably means we're planning to pay Thomas, which I really am not a fan of. I think I mentioned on the season thread that I'd have preferred to draft Fultz, resigned Bradley, and let Thomas walk after the season. Maybe the team is betting on someone from the Smart/Brown/Jackson/Yabusele/Zizic group to take an offensive leap forward, but I don't see it, really. And I'm someone who's pretty high on that group.

I think either way (with Fultz or Jackson), we're damn good next year. And if RJ's numbers are right (this is a huge if, I am aware), the trade provides the cap flexibility to pursue Hayward, which I am all about, even if Jackson is a bit of an awkward fit on that end.

Last edited:
Mostly, I'd sum up my feelings as being annoyed that Danny overthought this. Just take the consensus #1 and move on.

Back