• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

The Sixers need to use a draft choice or two on guards who can play D. Ben can't cover quicker guards.

The Sixers need to use a draft choice or two on guards who can play D. Ben can't cover quicker guards.

Ben isn't the problem, it's all the other guards. Ben is second in the league in steals behind Paul George, and he's tied with Embiid and Covington (two of the best defenders in the game) for best on the team in defensive win shares. You were and continue to be dead wrong about him defensively. He's active and has good footwork defensively. Tiny guards can get by him but they're generally fucked going to the rim on him. Guards can't get it into the post over him. Regardless, he's rarely guarding the point.

The issue is that the other guys generally suck defensively, including your boy McConnell but especially Redick and Bayless

Ben gets his steals by playing the passing lanes. That's good but not the same as playing heads up. Very, very, very few 6'10 people can cover a quick 6'3-6'5 guy. It's not a knock, but you continually misrepresent what I due to your helicopter knowledge of the game.

If the guard gets by him, it creates lots of rotations (I get that you don't understand this-give me snarky-get snarky back). He doesn't have to get to the rim himself to create havoc and open shots.

What's absolutely HILARIOUS is your mentioning how bad JJ and Bayless are when that's what I've said over and over. In fact, I said it in relation to trading for HOF Bledsoe for his D.

There's no question that Covington and Embiid are elite defenders. However that leaves the bit below average Saric and the abysmal JJ/McConnell/Bayless. By having those people on the court Embiid and Covington get extra fouls.

You never mention the positives I say about anything. I understand that is unlikely to change. I've said that it's good that Ben plays the passing lanes so well. Because of his length, he doesn't have to be an excellent on the ball defender. Plus he has great help.

Further, as we AGREE (which you won't allow) there is a gaping hole at the other guard. This will take the elite defenders out of position and make Ben cheat/help more.

This whole thing started when I correctly said we need to use at least one of our 1st round picks this year for a defensive guard. As the years go forward, it will be like so much of NBA history in the East, Sixers vs. Celtics.

I don't "go crazy". I treat you with the same snark you direct at me. Drop that and it will be easier.

Nope, I hid defense is a bit below average or average at best, but there are lots of other things he can do.

Saric is still young, give him some time to develop

He does a lot of things well. Defense isn't one of them, but that's OK. He's not a toreador, but he's not good. As third or fourth guy, he's a really solid piece.

I'd love to see the Sixers get Avery Bradley in free agency this if the price doesn't break the bank.

In the draft, they look to have the Lakers pick (likely #6-9) and their own, which will probably be around #20. The problem is there aren't any SGs (other than Doncic) worth taking in the Top 10. They don't need Sexton or Trae Young. Each needs the ball too much.

After dumping Jah, maybe they could use a couple of their 2nd round picks to move up a few slots from #20 to get Wendell Carter, Jr. to be the back-up center/PF.

Damn. That is nice.

Kawhi not returning vs. Celts tomorrow. Maybe for Suns on Saturday.

Say what you want about Okafor and D-Lo, but landing the #2 and #3 pick from the 2015 draft with minimal assets at your disposal is kinda impressive.

It's amazing how few seasons of production the Sixers got for all those top picks. The process may work but it will be mostly due to The Process staying healthy.

Watching my sixers for the first time this year for the past 10 mins. Sorry townie, but RJ's right. This McConnell fella does not appear to be able to dribble and run at the same time

Why he's in the game at the same time as Simmons is beyond me. He's either a full court annoying defender high energy guard or a half court nightmare who can't shoot.

Some weird lineups tonight. They were just playing Bayless-Simmons-Covington-Holmes-Embiid. That right after they were playing a Manningesque McConnell-Bayless-Redick-Cov-Johnson.

Have you caught yourself rooting for JJ Redick yet?

Back