• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

He's a tiny score first PG that doesn't play good defense. Now he's injury prone, and he'll turn 30 this season. Isaiah Thomas is 3 months younger than Derrick Rose, who was drafted 10 years ago.

Last edited:
Crazy how much money IT lost getting hurt. Same with Boogie. Why wouldn't IT just go back to the Celts for $2 mil. Stevens knows how to use him.

true but brad stevens also made scary terry look all-world in kyrie's absence

every team needs to take a 20% haircut to any production brad stevens gets out of a player when evaluating them in a potential trade with the celtics

Crazy how much money IT lost getting hurt. Same with Boogie. Why wouldn't IT just go back to the Celts for $2 mil. Stevens knows how to use him.

but also crazy how much value IT initially gained by playing for Brad Stevens

true but brad stevens also made scary terry look all-world in kyrie's absence

every team needs to take a 20% haircut to any production brad stevens gets out of a player when evaluating them in a potential trade with the celtics

So what if the Spurs trade with the Celtics?

Saw this floated (not a reputable sauce just an idea)

Spurs get Jimmy Butler
Timberwolves get Tobias Harris & Patrick Beverly
Clippers get Kawhi Leonard

Risk spread out a little for everyone. All parties get something. I'd pull the trigger, hope you can get kyrie next year, an extra pick would be nice as the best player with best chance at signing long term. Maybe clips give each a pic.

Saw this floated (not a reputable sauce just an idea)

Spurs get Jimmy Butler
Timberwolves get Tobias Harris & Patrick Beverly
Clippers get Kawhi Leonard

Risk spread out a little for everyone. All parties get something. I'd pull the trigger, hope you can get kyrie next year, an extra pick would be nice as the best player with best chance at signing long term. Maybe clips give each a pic.

I would consider that too little for Kawhi if I am the Spurs. Need something more to go with Butler.

I would consider that too little for Kawhi if I am the Spurs. Need something more to go with Butler.

Yeah. But not too much. Just a sweetener like a protected Clippers 1st. The T-Wolves should get a 1st as well.

If they can get Bulter to re-sign, it's a great trade. If not, you are right (assuming the Spurs don't blow everything up).

Lot of love for John Collins in the latest 5 on 5 from ESPN.

2. Who was the best veteran you saw at summer league?

Han: The annual "This sophomore is too good for this" award goes to John Collins of the Hawks. It took all of one half of his first game to confirm many people's suspicions he had squeezed every bit of knowledge one can from summer league as he popped and rolled at will. Honorable mentions go to the Lakers' Josh Hart (seemingly a lock for Vegas MVP) and OG Anunoby, who had most asking themselves, "Shouldn't guarding LeBron in the playoffs exempt you from summer league duties?"

Pelton: John Collins. Collins was one of three second-year players who made the All-Rookie Second Team to suit up in Las Vegas, and while the other two (Josh Jackson and Dennis Smith Jr.) were uneven because of poor shot selection -- more on that later -- Collins led all scorers with 24.0 points per game in his two appearances. Collins wasn't quite that good at the Utah Jazz summer league before reaching Vegas, but it was always evident that he was the most talented player on the court.

Sedano: Josh Hart. He is averaging almost 23 PPG and has taken on the most important defensive assignment in every game the Lakers have played. The Lakers have not only won all five Vegas games, but they've also only dropped three of their 20 quarters so far. Hart has been disruptive on defense while carrying the load on offense for the most dominant team. He's my early summer league MVP pick.

Snellings: John Collins. He only played in the first two games, but he was highly productive in those outings. Collins was more of a rebounder and interior presence for the Hawks as a rookie, but in Vegas, he went after his offense aggressively and showed that he has the chops to score if called upon. He even knocked down 5 of 10 3s in those two games, showing off a perimeter scoring ability that could give him an entirely new dimension as a floor-spacer, if he can carry it over to the regular season.

Schmitz: It's hard to call 20-year-old second-year big man John Collins a veteran, but as far as non-rookies go, Collins shined the brightest. The most important takeaway revolves around Collins' improved 3-ball, with what looked like a translatable stroke. Collins and rookie sensation Trae Young appear to be building a Steve Nash-Amar'e Stoudemire-like rapport, as Young is one of the 2018 class' best passers, and Collins' ability to space the floor both vertically and as a shooter makes the duo one of the most lethal young pick-and-roll pairings in the league. Collins still has his shortcomings as a team defender and a passer, but his improved shooting and chemistry with Young should culminate in a huge sophomore season.

Thought this was an interesting observation in light of our NCAAB- G League discussion:

However, Carter showed the kind of NBA-ready skill set that his believers touted before the draft, one that he wasn't able to showcase at Duke in yet another sign that the NBA and college basketball are increasingly two different sports.

That is interesting. I'm not sure if that's a Duke thing or a college basketball thing. Either way, it's nothing new. I'd argue in some ways, they're becoming more similar. For example, combo guards seem to fair better in the NBA than two decades ago.

In FA news, Dante Cunningham to the Spurs on a 1-year deal.

IMO Cal and K did awful jobs showcasing the talent they had on their roster last season. Out of that group, Bagley was really the only one that was utilized properly.

IMO Cal and K did awful jobs showcasing the talent they had on their roster last season. Out of that group, Bagley was really the only one that was utilized properly.

probably because that’s not their job. College coaches are never going to sacrifice winning in order to showcase or develop talent. Yet another reason why the G-league has the potential to be a much better league for player development.

probably because that’s not their job. College coaches are never going to sacrifice winning in order to showcase or develop talent. Yet another reason why the G-league has the potential to be a much better league for player development.

HUH? You most often win by developing the talent you have. You don't "sacrifice winning" to do so.

You are sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Ben Simmons goes to LSU - they suck still, but he looks good in his 30+ minutes a game and becomes the top pick. Carter goes to Duke - they win and they're good, but he's a cog in the wheel who gets a little lost in the crowd of potential 1-and-dones.

That said, Hoard picked a perfect situation. We're not expected to be good - and he is going to play 30+ minutes a game against the best competition in college basketball. And he'll likely be our best player. My guess is Gary Trent Sr wishes his son had either gone to Ohio State and been one-and-done or gone to Villanova for three years. Either way, he might have been a lottery pick when he came out.

Kawhi considering participating in USA Basketball minicamp next week. Pop is the national team head coach.

There's an alternate world out there were Kawhi signed his supermax deal yesterday and the Spurs are figuring out how to position themselves to sign Jimmy Butler next year. Ugh.

You are sort of damned if you do and damned if you don't. Ben Simmons goes to LSU - they suck still, but he looks good in his 30+ minutes a game and becomes the top pick. Carter goes to Duke - they win and they're good, but he's a cog in the wheel who gets a little lost in the crowd of potential 1-and-dones.

That said, Hoard picked a perfect situation. We're not expected to be good - and he is going to play 30+ minutes a game against the best competition in college basketball. And he'll likely be our best player. My guess is Gary Trent Sr wishes his son had either gone to Ohio State and been one-and-done or gone to Villanova for three years. Either way, he might have been a lottery pick when he came out.

the lesson is don't go to dook

Back