• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2018 NBA Offseason Thread: the preseason cometh

On my phone out and about. I'd be curious to see the list, by year, of All-Stars taken after the first Celtics pick each draft since Ainge took over.

On my phone out and about. I'd be curious to see the list, by year, of All-Stars taken after the first Celtics pick each draft since Ainge took over.

Sure. Here's everyone who either made an ASG or All-NBA team, who was drafted after the first C's draft pick.

2003:
Pick 18: David West, PF, New Orleans
Pick 29: Josh Howard, F/G, Dallas
Pick 47: Mo Williams, PG, Utah
Pick 51: Kyle Korver, SG, Philly

2004:
Pick 20: Jameer Nelson, PG, Orlando

2005:
Pick 30: David Lee, PF, New York

2006:
Pick 24: Kyle Lowry, PG, Memphis
Pick 47: Paul Millsap, PF, Utah

2007:
Pick 48: Marc Gasol, C, Memphis

2008:
Pick 35: DeAndre Jordan, C, LA Clippers
Pick 45: Goran Dragic, PG, Phoenix

2009:
NONE

2010:
NONE

2011:
Pick 30: Jimmy Butler, SG, Chicago
Pick 60: Isaiah Thomas, PG, Sacramento

2012:
Pick 35: Draymond Green, PF, Golden State

2013:
Pick 15: Giannis Antetounmpo, F, Milwaukee
Pick 27: Rudy Gobert, C, Utah

2014-16:
NONE

It's a weird mix of legitimately good picks, total luckboxes, and guys who exploded for non-drafting teams. It's a little silly to give Memphis credit for Kyle Lowry or Phoenix for Goran Dragic, and it's hard to criticize Boston for taking Al Jefferson instead of Jameer Nelson. Interesting that Utah popped up three times (I'm not sure if that's different GMs?), but other than that, no real trends with teams here.

Yeah, what I was expecting - basically all lower tier All-Stars. I'd argue there's one franchise player on that list, Greek Freak. Ainge really hasn't had many chances to pick up franchise players in the draft. Olynyk over Greek Freak was obviously terrible.

ETA: Butler, Gasol, and Draymond I guess you could argue are franchise guys. All selected in the 30s and 40s. A ton of teams whiffed on them.

Last edited:
That's another question. Are we past the Duncan/Shaq era in which the best player on a team can be a post player? As amazing as AD is and Porzingus and Embiid could be, it's hard to imagine them winning a championship as the #1 player.

Embiid said he wants to average a trip doub this season

Who am I to say he can't

Meh. Aim for the quadruple double.

So who is the best drafter as a GM?

I'm not totally convinced it's a skill, to be honest. I think it's mostly luck and player development?

Though I think people can be absolutely abysmal at drafting, so...

I'm not totally convinced it's a skill, to be honest. I think it's mostly luck and player development?

Though I think people can be absolutely abysmal at drafting, so...

Player development is probably the most important part, honestly. #hottake.

Rumors out that the Spurs are shopping Danny Green and LMA looking to move into the top 5 or top 10 depending on the source.

I get chills thinking about the Spurs landing Issac or Collins.

No offense to the spurs, but both those guys kinda suck

Ian Begley‏ @IanBegley 6m
Phil Jackson on Kristaps: "As much as we love this guy, we have to do what's best for the club."

Rumors out that the Spurs are shopping Danny Green and LMA looking to move into the top 5 or top 10 depending on the source.

I get chills thinking about the Spurs landing Issac or Collins.

They could move top 5 and then trade for Zingis?!??

Yes?!

Back