• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Supreme Court to rule on baker refusing to make cake for gay couple

How so? On the grounds someone says they'll make a cake for a gay wedding? That dog would never hunt.

Dude, there are white people all over the US butthurt over black lives matter.

DeacMan, here's a quick breakdown of your argument:

In each one of these cases someone is trying to make another person sell a product that goes against their religious beliefs:

- A custom cake for a gay wedding
- Clergy services for an gay wedding (I assume you meant gay here)
- Pork bacon

In two of these, someone is providing a product that would violate their religious beliefs. The clergy is providing a gay wedding. The Muslim is providing pork.

In the third, a baker is providing a cake. A cake is not an endorsement of a wedding. It is a cake.

So where is the line for religious liberty? Use the example I mentioned earlier. Could a tow truck driver refuse to tow the car of a gay couple?

Seems to me to be yet another example of people using religion as a tool of hate instead of love. I wonder if the people who do strategic planning for big religion worry about their demographics 10-15 years from now.

BINGO!!!

1200x630bb.jpg

In two of these, someone is providing a product that would violate their religious beliefs. The clergy is providing a gay wedding. The Muslim is providing pork.

In the third, a baker is providing a cake. A cake is not an endorsement of a wedding. It is a cake.

So where is the line for religious liberty? Use the example I mentioned earlier. Could a tow truck driver refuse to tow the car of a gay couple?

Dude. He is being asked to make a cake specifically for a gay wedding. That is a custom made product. He is being asked to work on behalf of a ceremony that violates his religious beliefs. It is exactly the same thing. If two gay people happened to wander into his store and wanted to buy a cake off the shelf your argument would hold water. But that isn't the fact pattern at issue. It isn't hard, Ph. Yet somehow you make it hard for yourself.

Again -

The bakery doesn't generally refuse to sell products (including cakes) to gay people. It refuses to make a commissioned product (a custom cake) for a gay wedding.
The wedding chapel owner doesn't generally refuse to let inter-racial couples get married in the chapel. He just refuses to personally perform the ceremony in the chapel.
The Muslim grocery doesn't generally refuse to sell products to EC's. It refuses to stock and sell them pork.

Do we really think God cares what we do or don't eat, or who we do or don't bake cakes for?

Either He doesn't care and all this stupid shit was made up by people for their own purposes, or He does care in which case we're all screwed anyway.

The three great signs of dumbassery: littering, smoking tobacco, and selectively taking literally parts of the multi-translated copy of whatever version of the bible your parents gave you when you were 13.

To your first point about what people eat. When the laws of Kosher were written, they made a lot of sense. Food preparation and storage was quite hit an miss. It made sense to have such laws.

By the 1830s/40s or so, many Jews understood this and not keeping Kosher became an issue in creating the Reform Judaic movement.

Most Jews and Roman Catholics believe The Bible is an allegory telling stories that were meant to teach people some basic concepts of living in a society. To us, it's not a non-fiction historical book.

Kent, I agree with you about how wrong it is selectively used in a literal basis. Either you believe that slaves should obey their masters or can't legitimately take other parts literally.

Lines are not necessarily easy to draw, Ph. That's why we have all these courts in the first place.

Could a tow truck driver refuse to tow the car of a gay couple? For starters, let's be clear that legally, at least Federally, to my knowledge we have not yet made sexual orientation a clear protected class under the accomodation rules. Further, those rules do not apply to all institutions. I do not know, for instance, if they apply to towing services. But let's just go ahead and presume that the accomodation rules would apply to gay people generally and to towing services. IMO, the tow truck driver could not refuse to tow the car of a gay person or a gay couple. In certain circumstances he might be able to avoid having to drive the tow truck himself (and I think even that is uncertain to fly). But his company could not generally refuse services to gay couples. The towing service isn't somehow unique or customized or in and of itself against his religion (he wouldn't be in the business of towing cars if it were).

Only if they broke down on the way to their gay wedding.

Yeah, so? What's your point? People don't like viewpoints of others and take issue with them? So what? If someone wants to bake a cake for a gay wedding and advertise it, presumably they are willing to take kudos and flack for doing so.

Dude. He is being asked to make a cake specifically for a gay wedding. That is a custom made product. He is being asked to work on behalf of a ceremony that violates his religious beliefs. It is exactly the same thing. If two gay people happened to wander into his store and wanted to buy a cake off the shelf your argument would hold water. But that isn't the fact pattern at issue. It isn't hard, Ph. Yet somehow you make it hard for yourself.

Again -

The bakery doesn't generally refuse to sell products (including cakes) to gay people. It refuses to make a commissioned product (a custom cake) for a gay wedding.
The wedding chapel owner doesn't generally refuse to let inter-racial couples get married in the chapel. He just refuses to personally perform the ceremony in the chapel.
The Muslim grocery doesn't generally refuse to sell products to EC's. It refuses to stock and sell them pork.

LOL. My grandson just graduated from the 5th grade and he could figure that distinction out. Maybe PH needs to go back to Florence Elementary in Jamestown, NC.

This is actually amazing....that after multiple explanations (which are actually very simple) PH still has no clue. He does have an agenda, though....and that leaves no room for rational thought.

Lots of money wasted on those two degrees....though I'm guessing that much of it wasn't PH's money.

I can't believe someone is here arguing that baking a wedding cake is similar to officiating a wedding.

Would I be legally allowed to refuse to make a cake for Kevin Pittsnoggle if he were to ask me to make a cake to honor the anniversary of the worst game in college basketball history? Cause I'd go to jail before I baked something for that son of a bitch.

If someone wants a cake, bake them a fucking cake. It is not the business owners right to judge morality at the POS transaction. How hard can this be? Hey store owner stop being a snowflake, if you wanna be a snowflake there is gonna be a problem, lets move on.

Back