• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Holy Opiods

dartsndeacs

THE quintessential dwarf
Reaction score
“The opioid epidemic is intertwined with the story of declining prime-age participation, especially for men, and this reinforces our doubts about a rebound in the participation rate,” Goldman Sachs’ Jan Hatzius said.

The labor force participation rate (LFPR), or the percentage of working-age people who are either working or actively looking for work, currently stands at 62.7%. This is significantly below the 67% level reached 20 years ago, and it’s the second lowest among OECD countries.

Importantly, the share of prime-age men (ages 25-54) in the labor force has declined significantly. The participation rate for this population has tumbled from 98% in 1954 to 88% currently.

Economist Alan Krueger has shown that almost 50% of prime-age men not in the labor force take pain medication every day. This is confirmed by data cited by Goldman Sachs, which showed out of all admissions to substance abuse treatment services, 47% of individuals not in the labor force were admitted for opioids.

That last one is crazy to me, glad I never got on pain meds.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/opioid-crisis-hurting-prospects-u-s-labor-market-153023883.html

I'm not a statistician, but isn't it odd (wrong?) to take a larger data set (prime-age men not in the labor force) and make an assumption based on a much smaller data set (prime age men who were admitted for substance abuse)?

ETA: nvm, i think Krueger's data is independent of the data cited by GS. But it does seem silly to imply that GS' data confirms Krueger's findings. Just bad writing.

Last edited:
I didn't know Apple and the Church got together. A holy iPod will probably have some sick beats preloaded.

Economist Alan Krueger has shown that almost 50% of prime-age men not in the labor force take pain medication every day. This is confirmed by data cited by Goldman Sachs, which showed out of all admissions to substance abuse treatment services, 47% of individuals not in the labor force were admitted for opioids.
How exactly does the GS data confirm Krueger's data? Taking pain medications and getting addiction treatment aren't the same thing.

Sam Quinones believes the lack of jobs and a future created a fertile ground for the pill pushers to make $$...depression and pain are comorbid. He's probably studied it more than anyone else. Stop the pill pushers and rebuild a sense of community is what he suggests. That'll bring these people back to the job market. Worth the read if you're interested in the topic.

http://www.samquinones.com/books/dreamland/

How do we stop the pharmaceutical companies and doctors who are overprescribing pain meds?

How do we stop the pharmaceutical companies and doctors who are overprescribing pain meds?

This kind of a talking point that will probably keep getting thrown out but the answer is it's pretty much already been addressed. Pain management people have flip shit over the new guidelines, laws, etc.. that are being implemented. The problem now is all the people already addicted and the ease in which you can get recreational pain medicines.

Yeah I read a report that 90% of the overdoses right now involve Fentanyl or Carfentanil. Good news is some of the major manufacturing supply lines of illicit Fentanyl from China to Mexico just got shut down.

Petition to change the thread title to "Holy Opiods, Batman!"?

From a NYT article a few weeks ago
43c58a12546e5497efe89a78343bd4c9.jpg

This kind of a talking point that will probably keep getting thrown out but the answer is it's pretty much already been addressed. Pain management people have flip shit over the new guidelines, laws, etc.. that are being implemented. The problem now is all the people already addicted and the ease in which you can get recreational pain medicines.

15e0efd56ccbd7dc463027fe5b585ff9

yes, but "Ohio had the highest number of deaths from synthetic opioids, such as fentanyl and carfentanil, with 590 deaths out of 5,544 nationally, or 7.4 percent." "In Ohio, fatal overdoses more than quadrupled in the past decade and by 2007 had surpassed car accidents as the leading cause of accidental death, according to the Department of Health. In 2015, 3,310 deaths were recorded in the state from unintentional drug overdoses, a 21.5 percent increase from the previous year, according to the C.D.C."

this is the new challenge...

as always, you take away one source and another appears.

Yeah Palma I don't think you know what you are actually looking at in that chart and how it relates to current problems. For that reason I think you should explain the chart for everyone.

From a NYT article a few weeks ago
43c58a12546e5497efe89a78343bd4c9.jpg

The curve on that graph is crazy.

I was in medical school 94-98. I remember specifically being taught that we should not be hesitant to prescribe opioids. "Don't let your patients be in pain."

As a radiologist I have never prescribed an opioid, but the curve on that graph really resonates with my time in medical school.

Any of the other docs have similar teaching?

Yeah Palma I don't think you know what you are actually looking at in that chart and how it relates to current problems. For that reason I think you should explain the chart for everyone.

Getting snarky after irrefutable proof denying your boards' medical expert cred I see. You aren't the first person to fail to defeat phdeac, and you surely will not be the last.

It's explained rather clearly in the upper left hand side of the chart.

Last edited:

First of all, the chart doesn't explain what MED stands for.

Second, it's per patient. It doesn't show if the number of patients have gone up or down and by how much.

Third, the opiod crisis started getting attention in the last decade. This chart simply shows patients have gotten a lot of MED over the last 7 years, but doesn't show how it compares to 10, 15, 20 years ago.

Back