• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official 2017 College football thread

the buckeyes should not have gotten in

tired of that argument

no one cares about you beating some ass big ten teams while you get wrecked by freaking iowa

^^^^
This.

If anything, UCF deserved to be in it if they would go to a 6 team play-off with the 5 power conference champs and a group of 5 wildcard.

Not posting a link from my phone, but ESPN reports ratings up 9% over last year‘s championship game.

I'm a lil bitch. I watched it -- great game. Worth watching for our sundowning president not knowing the words to the National Anthem alone. Roll tide.

Didn't touch Ohio St. v. Oregon ratings though.

Last edited:

I'm as big a Buckeye fan on this board and I have to agree with this statement. They lost their chance when they got blown out at Iowa. You lose the benefit of any doubt when you get blown out by a mediocre Iowa team. Sadly, I must admit, the committee got it right this year.

Not buying the UCF hype though.

tired of that argument

no one cares about you beating some ass big ten teams while you get wrecked by freaking iowa

I agree, but I also think they might have won the whole thing if they had gotten in

I'm a lil bitch. I watched it -- great game. Worth watching for our sundowning president not knowing the words to the National Anthem alone. Roll tide.

Didn't touch Ohio St. v. Oregon ratings though.

Yep, that first championship game still has the highest ratings. This one was second, though.

I agree, but I also think they might have won the whole thing if they had gotten in

My original post was mostly in jest. Alabama certainly validated the committee's decision, while OSU beat USC in a snoozefest of a Cotton Bowl where the OSU defense dominated and JT Barrett proved to be mediocre at best once again.

My hot take: if Meyer pulls a Saban and replaces a struggling/awful Barrett against Oklahoma in the 2nd half (tied 3-3 at half) with either Haskins or Martell (4/5 star backups), they win that game, and roll to the CFP undefeated. Barrett has a huge chunk of OSU and B1G QB/offense records, and was a great leader, but he was a below average passer for 95% of his career (PSU 2nd half this year not included).

They are literally the only team not trading on hype alone.

Or, they're the only team in this discussion trading solely on the hype that, having beaten a bunch of shitty teams, they might also be able to beat some top teams, whereas every team in the playoff was trading on the basis they've already proven themselves by beating other top teams.

Or, they're the only team in this discussion trading solely on the hype that, having beaten a bunch of shitty teams, they might also be able to beat some top teams, whereas every team in the playoff was trading on the basis they've already proven themselves by beating other top teams.

No. If UCF was ranked in the preseason poll, they would have been in the playoff. That's hype.

Will Barrett be on his 8th year of eligibility next year?

He gone. 5th year senior. There's a weird and aggressive split in the OSU fanbase of people who loved him and supported him until the end, and those who thought he was a subpar passer for the last two years and needed to be replaced.

Not posting a link from my phone, but ESPN reports ratings up 9% over last year‘s championship game.

Yep, hard to beat having to SEC teams in the Natty playing great football! 9th title in 12 years you know. Saban ties Bear Bryant, beats his protégé who tried to steal his recruits. The Throwin Samoan rescues the Tide in the second half.

Now you will see wide open offenses take over and Trevor Lawrence replace Kelly Bryant at Clemson next season so they can keep up with Bama & UGa. Should be fun again in 2018.

Yep, hard to beat having to SEC teams in the Natty playing great football! 9th title in 12 years you know. Saban ties Bear Bryant, beats his protégé who tried to steal his recruits. The Throwin Samoan rescues the Tide in the second half.

Now you will see wide open offenses take over and Trevor Lawrence replace Kelly Bryant at Clemson next season so they can keep up with Bama & UGa. Should be fun again in 2018.

clip.small.gif

But they didn't and did not deserve to get in with 2 whopping bad losses--at home to Oklahoma & to Iowa in a thorough butt kicking. Wisconsin beating Ohio St would have prevented Bama from getting in and Auburn winning out would have put a 2 loss team in with their tough schedule and run of wins, but not tOSU.

On another note going into the 2018 season, check the odds for Michigan St & Oklahoma to win it all. MSU returns 19 starters from a 10-3 team and has both OSU & Michigan at home. They open at 40-1 odds. Oklahoma is another good one at 25-1 as they will be favored in all 12 games and have Kyler Murray replacing Baker Mayfield.

Check out some opening game lines for Labor Day weekend:
Louisville vs Alabama [-26] in Orlando
Washington vs Auburn [-3.5] in Atlanta
West Virginia [-7.5] vs Tennessee in Charlotte
UNC @ Cal [-3.5]
Army @ Duke [-7.5]
FAU @ Oklahoma [-20.5]
Michigan @ Notre Dame [-2.5]
Miami vs LSU [-1] Jerry's World
Texas [-8] vs Maryland Redskin Stadium

Back