• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2017/18 Premier League Thread (NWT)

I think it makes sense that a team with a £0 net spend is going to be less criticized than one with a £140M net spend that doesn't compete for the title. Not even taking into consideration Champions League success/lack thereof. Chelsea and Everton have been called out quite often for their lack of results for what they're spending as well.

Despite adding a 40 goal scorer to their side Liverpool will still just finish in the around the same spot in the table with about the same number of points as last season.

Meanwhile, United will have climbed 4 spots, are currently 5 points better off than last season, have already scored 12 more goals in the league and get labeled as a club that isn't progressing.

United are progressing but when you spend enormous amounts of $ on players, play mostly unwatchable football and go out of the champions league by losing at home to Sevilla, you're going to be in for some criticism.

United are progressing but when you spend enormous amounts of $ on players, play mostly unwatchable football and go out of the champions league by losing at home to Sevilla, you're going to be in for some criticism.

United virtually PRINT money they are so successful commercially. It is close to criminal that the NET SPEND *BUZZ WORD!!!* isn't even higher considering the club is on damn auto-pilot bringing in hundreds of millions each year without stepping foot on the pitch.
Because if you aren't spending to get better then you aren't even trying to compete. You know which soft drink company outspends the rest by nearly 10-fold? Coca-Cola. And do you know why? Because it fucking works and they want to stay on top. As if spending money and investing in your product is a bad thing. Football fans have jumped the shark on this shit. It is such a lame molehill to try and die on from the "holier than thou" football supporters.

So spare me with the caveats about spending and let's concentrate on the football, yeah? You know, that thing that happens on that green stuff with white lines around it and through it. Football. Not American money, which bought both LFC and MUFC. But football.

MUFC under Snarly Mou, all competitions: P 115. W 72. D 24. L 19. Win% 62.6%
LFC under Jurgy Klopp, all competitions: P 149. W 79. D 43. L 27. Win% 53.0%
MCFC under Peppy G, all competitions: P 109. W 74. D 18. L 17. Win% 67.9%
CFC under Anty Conte, all competitions: P101. W 66. D 16. L 18. Win% 65.3%

Yet Klopp never gets criticized because he is such a likeable guy. But his actual results on the pitch are CLEARLY worse than the other top managers that have recently taken over top clubs in the Premier League. It isn't even logically arguable he isn't the worst of the 4 in terms of results produced.

And I fully admit Pep has been better than Mourinho since they both joined in the summer of 2016. I can admit that.

But, Mourinho might have the trophy advantage of 3:2 after this season. Football, bloody hell.

If anyone is looking to do Liverpool vs. Dortmund in Charlotte on 7/22

Use ticketmaster presale code: CPSOC18 starting today at 11:00am

Speculated for a long time, but made official today: Iniesta to leave Barca at the end of the year. He scored in the Copa del Rey final and will win the league. Legend.

Speculated for a long time, but made official today: Iniesta to leave Barca at the end of the year. He scored in the Copa del Rey final and will win the league. Legend.
One of my favorite ever non-United players.

Legend indeed.

2fb2b28b53778b2b94a8b8a5d83adbc4.jpeg

Back