• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Totally Unofficial 2017/18 Premier League Thread (NWT)

its hard not to root for this plucky underdog ManU squad as they eke out 1-0 wins.

So where does Pogba go this summer?

Pogba demands huge pay rise
Paul Pogba will demand Man United double his wages, according to the Mirror, once Alexis Sanchez completes his move to Old Trafford.

The Arsenal star is set to pocket a basic wage of £400,000-per-week and with Pogba well short of that on £200,000-per-week, United may have a problem.

Double his wages, problem solved.

Excellent own goal by Totty cancelled out by a gift of a header for Kane. Good match.

I’m not sold on this Sanchez transfer. He’s an exceptional talent for sure, but I’m not convinced that he’s going to fit into the side all that well. Hope I’m wrong.

I’m not sold on this Sanchez transfer. He’s an exceptional talent for sure, but I’m not convinced that he’s going to fit into the side all that well. Hope I’m wrong.

I was shocked that man city wanted him after his stint with Barcelona

What the attack is lacking for United is quick, creative thinking to open up opportunities to score in and around the 18 yard box. Sanchez clearly ticks those boxes.

United should have scored 4 yesterday but kept taking too long to make a decision and then made the wrong decision around Burnley's 18 yard box countless times.

The truth is ManU can way overpay on transfer fee and wages for an aging player and (according to DV7, at least) is worth it for a single good year and a trophy (c.f. RVP). Didn't work with Falcao or Ibra, but there's nothing to stop them from trying.

Most clubs simply don't have that luxury.

Yes. Man United's massive success during the 1990s when the Premier League started and took off internationally bringing in huge amounts of cash for all clubs involved did help them the most with commercial deals and the like. Man United earned their money to reinvest into the squad to stay competitive and hopefully on top. That's how things work in this world.

The fact that Man United ever got outspent by ANY other club in England past the year 2000 is an utter disgrace and negligent if you view it in purely business terms. Coca-Cola drastically outspends Pepsi year after year after year for advertising - and for good reason, they stay the top dog in their market year after year after year.

Also, very funny to me that you mentioned transfer fees and then used those 3 players as examples, as just one of them (RvP) required a single pound in a transfer fee. Falcao the closest in a loan fee to Monaco, but he was never transferred to Manchester United.

Sanchez's deal doesn't require a transfer fee either as it is a straight swap with Mkhi heading to Arsenal (and good luck to him!).

Fair point about transfer fees. But huge wages preclude most clubs from doing this too.

Was more of an observation than anything else. West Ham certainly tries to do something similar, just with way shittier players (e.g. Joe Cole, Benayoun, Robbie Keane of the top of my head)

What the attack is lacking for United is quick, creative thinking to open up opportunities to score in and around the 18 yard box. Sanchez clearly ticks those boxes.

United should have scored 4 yesterday but kept taking too long to make a decision and then made the wrong decision around Burnley's 18 yard box countless times.

I don’t disagree that is ticks some certain boxes. But do those boxes fit a Mou side? I’m not so sure. And where does he play? His preferred spot would be that left attacking side, but Martial has been showing something of late. And I don’t think he or Rashford are all that comfortable on the right side. Maybe Alexis slots in the middle and pushes Lindgard back out to the right?

I don’t disagree that is ticks some certain boxes. But do those boxes fit a Mou side? I’m not so sure. And where does he play? His preferred spot would be that left attacking side, but Martial has been showing something of late. And I don’t think he or Rashford are all that comfortable on the right side. Maybe Alexis slots in the middle and pushes Lindgard back out to the right?
If the worry is "which great player will play" then it isn't much of a worry, IMO.

I get that it’s not a problem, and that money isn’t really an issue, but I’m just not convinced he moves the needle. Dybala was my wet dream choice. I think he moves the needle as a No. 10.

Is there a bigger prima donna in professional sports than Alexis Sanchez? That guy’s a cancer.

Back