• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

It's Greek to Him: Another Dino(s) Gone After 3 Seasons, Signs With Panathinaikos

Well, this is what I get for complaining about how slow this time of year is on the boards.

Hopefully something is just lost in translation... Otherwise, we need to redouble our Jack Whitman efforts. Or pull some other capable big out of nowhere (good luck).

More evidence of Manning coaching up the big men and getting them into the pros! A huge positive for recruiting!

:couch:

Congrats to Dinos. This opens up another scholarship for a walk-on.

See updated OP. Another source calls for a slow down on the news. Nothing official in Greece reportedly. BUT a Greek media source does have a story on it.

So it seems that it is likely that Dinos is going to be going pro but nothing is 100% official yet. I guess contract terms could fall through but at this point, he's most likely gone.

Last edited:
Good for Dinos if true.

For us, get used to more frequently losing players to the pros.
As much as we don't like to lose them, we actually want this to happen as it's a sign of talent that Wake is developing.
It also means that each recruiting class might be a little bit larger than in the past.

Whitman would help a little and take some of the pressure off DM/SJM/Sarr, but not sure you can play two of those 4 at the same time for extended minutes. Get ready for a ton of small ball. Huge loss.

If we true, this team immediately gets more athletic

It wouldn't? I don't have much faith in a Doral/SJM/Sarr rotation next year, to be quite honest.

Gives Manning a really good opportunity to show how much he can "coach up" big men I guess.

This post is stupid.

I didn't say it would not be a loss. I said it wouldn't be a big loss. I think we'd miss having an experienced big out there, and the minutes and fouls he would bring to help out the young guys.

On the other hand, he was absolutely the most frustrating player on the team for me. Sorry I don't enjoy him jacking up (often untimely) 3s game after game. His average last season improved from .318 to .333. And the only reason it was that high was every season he has one or two games where he can't miss. It's very odd. Add that to the huge number of missed point blank buckets, bad defense, and struggle rebounding, and I'm not too worried about the potential departure.

I think Moore takes a jump. I think Sam will be our best big by the end of the year. If Sarr can give us a Collins-light freshman year, where he plays 10 mins and gets some good experience, we'll be better off, in the short and long term.

Dinos Mitoglou reportedly close to signing contract with Greek pro team

This would put a lot of pressure on Dono Mitchell and Melo to produce likely before they are ready. I don't like the prospect of playing any two of our traditional bigs together. I guess the most likely scenario is going very small.

It wouldn't? I don't have much faith in a Doral/SJM/Sarr rotation next year, to be quite honest.

Yeah really. We were going to be playing a lot of Dinos at C regardless.

Put another way, we are losing four players (Collins, Dinos, Arians, and McClinton) who combined for about 75% of minutes at C and 100% of minutes at PF. Doral and SJM combined for 327 total minutes last year.

Dinos was a more frustrating player to watch for you than Doral last year? I don't mean to beat up on the guy, but Doral could hardly do anything right last year. The decline from his freshman to sophomore year gives me pause that he's gonna have this huge jump in his junior year.

Dinos has his limitations & inconsistencies but with Collins gone already, anyone who that thinks losing Dinos is not a big loss or even worse that it is actually a good thing is misguided. Junior year Dinos put fresh/soph Dinos to shame so he likely would have been even more improved this season.

Could one or more of the other three big men surprise this season? Sure, I was kinda expecting that at least one would take a step forward but it'd be nice not to have to rely upon it happening and it'd also be nice to have a senior Dinos playing alongside those players, not them playing in place of him.

Last edited:
This would put a lot of pressure on Dono Mitchell and Melo to produce likely before they are ready. I don't like the prospect of playing any two of our traditional bigs together. I guess the most likely scenario is going very small.

Yup huge ? at the 4. Mitchell Melo or Rich Wash probably has to start now. Honestly, kind of wish we had Greg McClinton still. Think a lineup of Crawford, Childress(or Wilbekin), Woods, Chaundee and a big closes out most games, which I don't hate.

Back