• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

My Party is in Denial About Donald Trump - Sen. Jeff Flake

So let me get this straight. The whole time this was going on, Trump's rise to power in the Republican Party and Trump's general election victory, this MF was writing a book?

And he has the nerve to write this in his book:

"Too often, we observe the unfolding drama along with the rest of the country, passively, all but saying, “Someone should do something!” without seeming to realize that that someone is us."

Fuck him and his Obamacare repeal vote.

If that's your take on this news, Trump isn't the only one off his rocker

If that's your take on this news, Trump isn't the only one off his rocker

LOL. Dude sat around and wrote a book as a call to action when he could have acted.

What is your take on this?

So, he could have just posted that on Facebook or twitter

You know, the thing olds hate about millennials

That his book is the action

He's a Senator and he's doing the same as us.

Flake could have legitimately run for office himself.

He's a Senator and he's doing the same as us.

Flake could have legitimately run for office himself.

Seems like y'all really don't like Donald Trump. You can either 1) Support Republicans for calling him out for being terrible in the hopes others will join in and we can save a few million lives in North Korea or 2) Say "Fuck you anyways you're a conservative." and encourage them back into their conservative safe-space bunker.

One choice is clearly smarter than the other, but you do you.

Last edited:
Trump is just one of many problems with the Republican Party. Another problem is political opportunists who are all talk like Flake. I can oppose both at the same time. He's not part of the solution. He's part of the problem until he actually does something.

Trump is just one of many problems with the Republican Party. Another problem is political opportunists who are all talk like Flake. I can oppose both at the same time. He's not part of the solution. He's part of the problem until he actually does something.

Virtually all politicians put a finger up in the wind before saying anything. Flake is no different. I look at it like this. Flake has made the (I believe wise) decision to be anti-Trump because he's being primaried anyway, and that'll put him in better position for the general next year should he make it past the primary. But at least he's a Pub who is taking on Trump. There aren't many of those folks around. And FWIW, no politician's book is worth reading.

I didn't think anyone could possibly be more spineless than Paul Ryan. Then Dean Heller came roaring down the home stretch with the health care vote. I thought it was definitely his race to lose, but BAH GAWD....IS THAT JEFF FLAKE'S MUSIC?

Too bad Napolitano makes so much money leading the UC system to run for Senate.

Virtually all politicians put a finger up in the wind before saying anything. Flake is no different. I look at it like this. Flake has made the (I believe wise) decision to be anti-Trump because he's being primaried anyway, and that'll put him in better position for the general next year should he make it past the primary. But at least he's a Pub who is taking on Trump. There aren't many of those folks around. And FWIW, no politician's book is worth reading.

For what it's worth, the great majority of politicians (and celebrities for that matter) don't actually write their own books anyway. They hire ghost writers to do it for them, and just slap their name on the cover, along with maybe writing a foreword. Even the Kennedys did this, as the controversy over his pulitzer-prize winning book "Profiles in Courage" back in the 1950s showed. JFK supposedly wrote the book while he was recovering from near-fatal back surgery at the Kennedy's winter home in Florida. However, he actually got his aide and speechwriter Ted Sorensen, and his wife's history instructor at Georgetown University, Jules Davids, to do nearly all of the research and writing. Sorensen admitted as much in his 2008 autobiography, and historian Herbert Parmet pretty much proved it in his 1980 bio of JFK. JFK did have the idea for the book, and chose the politicians who would be profiled, but did little of the research or actual writing. I also have little doubt that Bill O'Reilly's bestselling "Killing So-and-So" books are mostly ghostwritten, although he certainly never hinted it on his show.

For what it's worth, the great majority of politicians (and celebrities for that matter) don't actually write their own books anyway. They hire ghost writers to do it for them, and just slap their name on the cover, along with maybe writing a foreword. Even the Kennedys did this, as the controversy over his pulitzer-prize winning book "Profiles in Courage" back in the 1950s showed. JFK supposedly wrote the book while he was recovering from near-fatal back surgery at the Kennedy's winter home in Florida. However, he actually got his aide and speechwriter Ted Sorensen, and his wife's history instructor at Georgetown University, Jules Davids, to do nearly all of the research and writing. Sorensen admitted as much in his 2008 autobiography, and historian Herbert Parmet pretty much proved it in his 1980 bio of JFK. JFK did have the idea for the book, and chose the politicians who would be profiled, but did little of the research or actual writing. I also have little doubt that Bill O'Reilly's bestselling "Killing So-and-So" books are mostly ghostwritten, although he certainly never hinted it on his show.

No doubt as to politicians. And yes, O'Reilly's books are mostly ghostwritten as well.

Top Trump donor ponies up to take out Flake

One of Donald Trump’s most generous political benefactors is providing a six-figure donation to a super PAC devoted to unseating Sen. Jeff Flake, an Arizona Republican who has been fiercely critical of the president.

Robert Mercer, a reclusive hedge fund billionaire who was intimately involved in Trump’s rise and helped to bankroll his 2016 campaign, is contributing $300,000 to a super PAC supporting former state Sen. Kelli Ward, who is challenging Flake in a Republican primary next year.

It’s the latest sign that Trump’s political machine is preparing to take on Flake, whose persistent attacks have angered the president. The White House has met with Ward and two other Republicans who are mulling primary challenges to the Arizona senator, state Treasurer Jeff DeWit and former state GOP Chairman Robert Graham.

They don't want government to spend their money. They want to spend their money on government.

Back