• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Reform

#familyvalues

No offense... but

According to that report, Berrones was caught driving with a fake license when he was 19. He was deported to Mexico, and then re–entered the U.S. without immigration documents two more times to be reunited with his family.

c'mon.

So lets just open the borders up to anyone that isn't a criminal. Makes sense.

Although that segment was not kumbaya stuff by any means (some of the comments made by the dudes in the MAGA hats were deplorable), I give props to Kimmel for using his show to discuss a lot of important issues. I'm sure ABC was wary at first but I think it's good for society to see someone other than a cable news pundit or the political class foster dialogue about some tough topics.
Apparently they cut out some of the more offensive stuff. Kimmel said he almost got into a physical fight with one of them. I'm assuming the Santa clause bro.

Not what I was implying. Given this particular situation, would you take that action? Is that a just action?

Immigration Debate To Start As A Jump Ball In The Senate

The Senate is set to start debate Monday afternoon on immigration, launching an unusual process that could lead to a bipartisan immigration fix — or leave Congress with no solution for the hundreds of thousands of immigrants who stand to lose legal protections by March 5.

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., will open the unpredictable path with a Senate vote on unrelated legislation. The goal is for the Senate to vote on immigration proposals and amendments from every corner of the political spectrum. Anything that can get 60 votes will pass, everything else will fall by the wayside.

Many in Congress have been craving such an open debate because it will give senators to a chance to put their concepts and proposals to the ultimate legislative test. The plan carries a significant political risk that none of the ideas will have enough votes to pass, leaving Congress unable to fulfill their pledge to protect the roughly 700,000 people enrolled in the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, or DACA. The Trump administration's decision to end DACA, which offers protections for immigrants who came to the U.S. as children, is currently caught in a court battle.

Update on this:

Undocumented immigrant, father of leukemia patient, takes refuge in Phoenix church

His son Jayden is so scared his father will get deported, he refuses to leave his side at the Shadow Rock United Church of Christ.

The five-year-old's leukemia treatments are too toxic for his mother to handle. "My wife cannot give him the pills because she's pregnant," Berrones said.

Berrones is his family's sole breadwinner, and the U.S. is the only country he's ever known; his parents brought him here as a toddler in 1989.

Now 30, Berrones doesn't meet the requirements of a so-called "Dreamer." To even apply for a green card, he would first have to leave the U.S. for 10 years.

27797897_2304330406259295_6621447546400011530_o.jpg

Bipartisan DACA, border security deal fails in Senate, putting immigration bill's future in doubt

A much-anticipated bipartisan deal that would have paired a pathway to citizenship for nearly 2 million undocumented immigrants who came to the US as children with $25 billion in border security and some other measures failed to get the 60 votes necessary to advance legislation after furious White House opposition.

The vote was 54-45.

A competing White House-backed plan that would have also substantially increased federal deportation powers, heavily cut family-based legal migration and end the diversity visa also failed, 39-60.

The episode, coming at the end of a much-anticipated Senate week of debate on immigration, revealed that the White House was successfully able to kill momentum for a deal that had emerged out of weeks of talks by roughly 20 bipartisan senators -- but that it also had no ability to actually enact any legislation to achieve its stated goal of protecting the recipients of the DACA program that President Donald Trump is ending and enact border security measures with it.

Trump called the bipartisan bill "a total catastrophe," tweeting that "Voting for this amendment would be a vote AGAINST law enforcement, and a vote FOR open borders."

Trump has once again killed bipartisan legislation, and his preferred bill couldn't get 40 votes.

Trump administration assault on bipartisan immigration plan ensured its demise

“We’re going to bury it,” one senior administration official told a reporter about 10:30 that evening.

The assault was relentless — a flurry of attacks on the bill from DHS officials and the Justice Department, and a veto threat from the White House — and hours later, the measure died on the Senate floor.

The Trump administration’s extraordinary 11th-hour strategy to sabotage the bill showed how, after weeks of intense bipartisan negotiations on Capitol Hill, it was the White House that emerged as a key obstacle preventing a deal to help the dreamers.

The episode reflected President Trump’s inability — or lack of desire — to cut a deal with his adversaries even when doing so could have yielded a signature domestic policy achievement and delivered the U.S.-Mexico border wall he repeatedly promised during the campaign.

Along the way, Trump demonstrated the sort of unpredictable behavior that has come to define his topsy-turvy tenure, frequently sending mixed signals that kept leaders in both parties guessing.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...tion7pm:homepage/story&utm_term=.30a94e85a23f

I've avoided the politics board at large because it sucks and has been pointless for a while, but will check in on this thread now and then. Remember that when these folks are getting rounded up that they will get a hearing in front of the immigration judge, who takes all the sob sorry factors into consideration. ICE, by and large, is making a decision by the law and the books. It's not like their file says that so-and-so's kid has cancer or he has been a chemistry teacher for 29 years or a doctor. Also, keep in mind that the sob stories play well in the media, and can be used to smokescreen other factors.

I'm much more concerned in all this debate that some of these judges can just sit there, make shit up, and not face any consequences for their actions.

What judges are you talking about?

Just got notified one of my employees H1B was denied. Took us a year to find her among a bunch of shitty local candidates. Thanks, Trump.

Nothing to do with Trump, who is focusing on illegals. If your H1B was denied, your lawyer likely sucks, there was a clerical error at his office, your guy/gal simply didn't qualify, or CIS might have fucked up (the least likely, but certainly possible). If you're comfortable with it, feel free to PM me a few details and I can provide you some observational input.

Back