• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Reform

So is Trump's war on chain immigration really about getting his in-laws out of the house? Because if it is, he should just say so. It's a sympathetic position.

Noted liberal Philip Klein from the far left Washington Examiner on Trump's horrendous CPAC speech.

President Trump's speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference started out as a relatively tame performance touting signature accomplishments such as tax cuts and judicial nominations, but it took an ugly turn as he moved to the topic of immigration, broadly painting those who come here as a result of the lottery system as "horrendous."

Also worth noting: those who believe the U.S. should draw a harder line on immigration have traditionally argued they are critical of illegal immigrants, who by their very presence in this country already broke the law. But Trump in this context is speaking about people who followed the legal process to enter this country. Yet he calls these people "horrendous."

As noted previously, Trump's rhetoric on immigration is a stark contrast to Ronald Reagan, the man who for decades was the hero of CPAC-goers, routinely invoked by speakers to the point of parody.

"They came to build," Reagan said in 1980, speaking in front of the Statue of Liberty about immigrants' contributions to our country. He went on to say, "They brought with them courage, ambition and the values of family, neighborhood, work, peace, and freedom."

At the end of the ballad Trump performed, when the lady asks why the snake bit her, the snake responds, "Oh shut up, silly woman ... You knew damn well I was a snake before you took me in." Indeed, everybody knew who Trump was when he was taken in, they are being reminded now, and his disgusting words were met with ravenous applause.

It's heartbreaking to witness the darkness that movement conservatism has descended into.

I don't think there are any decent and intelligent Pubs left.

Still some decent folks hanging on, just not intelligent ones.

Mostly just gettin' crazier and crazier.

Justices Turn Down Trump’s Appeal in ‘Dreamers’ Case

In September, the Trump administration announced that it would shut down the program on March 5. But two federal judges have ordered the administration to maintain major pieces of the program while legal challenges move forward, notably by requiring the administration to allow people enrolled in it to renew their protected status.

The administration did not seek stays of those court orders, and they will remain in place for the time being, allowing much of the program to survive beyond the March 5 deadline.

In the administration’s brief, Solicitor General Noel J. Francisco told the justices that “an ongoing violation of federal law being committed by some 700,000 aliens” required the Supreme Court to act. But he did not ask the court to stay Judge Alsup’s injunction while the case moved forward. Mr. Francisco wrote that an immediate stay would interfere with the administration’s goal of an “orderly wind-down” of the program.

That snake story (which he's used several times now) is something you would expect to hear in 1930's Germany. Not in the United States of America.

Wife of 7th Special Forces Group vet faces deportation under tighter immigration rules

After they married, the Crawfords filled out paperwork to seek legal residency for Elia and learned she was under deportation orders.

“We’ve been fighting this for years,” Bob Crawford said, listing the filings and attorneys the family has pursued to get Elia legal status.

The pair has two sons, ages 12 and 9, and Elia has been the foundation that has allowed Bob to keep deploying — as many as two or three times a year — first as an active duty soldier and now as a Defense Department contractor.

Spouses of active-duty troops or veterans are eligible for “Parole in Place,” or PIP, a relief that allows spouses, children and parents of active duty, National Guard and Reserve troops and veterans who entered the U.S. illegally to remain in the country and pursue a green card.

The PIP provision has been “extraordinarily important for military families,” said Leticia Corona, the Crawfords’ attorney. “It’s a tremendous amount of stress for military personnel in general who deploy to dangerous places to be worried about their loved ones who are undocumented back home.”

That policy has not helped the Crawfords, because they can’t file for the relief while a deportation order remains, and the Department of Homeland Security won’t clear Elia Crawford’s order.

The U.S. separates a mother and daughter fleeing violence in Congo

Homeland Security has deployed that tortured logic recently in defending its treatment of a 39-year-old mother and her 7-year-old daughter, asylum seekers who fled Congo, fearing violence. The two presented themselves in November to officials at the border in Southern California, cleared an initial screening interview in which a U.S. official determined that they stood a decent chance of being granted asylum — and, within days, were forcibly separated by immigration agents. The mother, known in court papers as Ms. L., was taken to a detention facility near San Diego; the little girl, known as S.S., who screamed when separated from her parent, was taken to a facility in Chicago.

And what of the little girl, Ms. L.’s daughter? She remains at the facility in Chicago, from which she has been allowed just a handful of telephone conversations with her mother in four months. Ms. L., according to her lawyers, intends to pursue her asylum claim but remains desperate to be reunited with her daughter. Will Ms. Nielsen and her Homeland Security agents continue to traumatize an innocent child, or will they permit the girl to be where she belongs: with her mother?

San Francisco’s ICE spokesman quits, disputes agency’s claim that 800 eluded arrest

This is a weird story. ICE attempted to round up 1,000 people in Northern California specifically to prove that local politicians couldn't protect them with sanctuary city status, then shouted "UNFAIR!" when the Oakland mayor warned that a sweep was coming. (Thus proving she could protect at least some of them.)

Then the local ICE spokesperson quit because they wanted him to say every person they didn't arrest was due to the actions of the mayor, when her actions likely only helped a fraction as ICE was never going to be able to pick up every person they targeted.

Also Jeff Sessions is garbage.

Schwab said the statements about immigrants evading arrest, which were widely quoted in an array of media outlets, were misleading “because we were not ever going to be able to capture 100 percent of the target list” of roughly 1,000 undocumented immigrants in Northern California.

“I didn’t feel like fabricating the truth to defend ourselves against (Schaaf’s) actions was the way to go about it,” he said. “We were never going to pick up that many people. To say that 100 percent are dangerous criminals on the street, or that those people weren’t picked up because of the misguided actions of the mayor, is just wrong.”

Jesus Christ this thread could go on and on. I read a new horrifyng story about ICE every fucking day. Fascist pricks need to all be waterboarded.

Update on this one, DHS tried to insinuate the child was a victim of trafficking. The ACLU says a DNA test proves its the woman's daughter. They sent a seven year old child alone to a detention center halfway across the country, where she's been for four months now.

DNA test shows asylum-seeking Congolese woman is mother of child detained in Chicago

An attorney with the American Civil Liberties Union told me late Monday that a DNA test has confirmed that Ms. L. — as she’s identified in court papers — is the mother of S.S., the 7-year-old girl who has been detained here in Chicago since November.

The government separated the two without explanation after they arrived at a U.S. port of entry near San Diego and asked for asylum, with the mother fearing death if she returned to the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Ms. L. followed the rules in seeking asylum, and an initial screening found she has a solid case.

But immigration officials took her daughter away, even though there was no allegation of abuse or neglect. The mother had only scant identification, common among people who have fled their homes. Department of Homeland Security attorneys have claimed in court papers that without documentation proving the child was hers, agents had no choice but to separate the mother and treat the child like an unaccompanied minor.

Inside a safe house, hiding from ICE

So the girls said farewell to their father, expecting he'd pick them up after school.

They haven't seen him since.

He was detained and deported that day, says his family, for entering the country illegally multiple times, decades ago.

"We went home, packed all of our things, and we never went back," says the 18-year-old, tears rolling down her face. They left their father's new car and their mother's furniture behind. They grabbed a few changes of clothes. They left their home in under an hour and haven't returned.

"ICE destroyed my home," their mother recalls. But she had little time to grieve the loss of her husband or her possessions. Also originally from Mexico, she had overstayed a tourist visa many years ago and had no legal documents. If she was next, who would care for her children?

"Where would they live? Where would they go to school? Who would feed them?"

She begged friends for couches. The three of them spent hours, day after day, in malls, trying to figure out where they could sleep next. The mother, who trained in culinary school, was feeding fast food meals to her daughters.

"We became homeless for five months," says the older sister. "We moved schools. We went somewhere else because we had to leave the city. We were sleeping from house to house, anywhere we could find."

So much fertilizer on one thread.

So many of you are so brainwashed by claptrap Leftwing nonsense that there is nothing to be done.

Your brains have been turned into fucking mush. I always new the Left was un-hinged and subject vast swings of hyperbole but I never imagined that so many could allow themselves to get this far out.

There is no argument to be made. The millions who believe as I do are no more inclined to listen to knee-jerk Leftwing clap-trap fucking nonsense as the same Leftwing is willing to listen to an opposing point of view.

At this point it is vitriolic and tends to end in name calling. Will it become more than a battle of perjoratives? I don’t know. I will say that if it comes, the fighting will be fearsome and I doubt there will be much in the way of one backing down from the other. In my lifetime I have never seen anything like that which is bubbling up in this society today.

this president seems to be floundering on the immigration issue, one of the cornerstones of his campaign. We've gone though failed travel bans, walls/no walls, DACA in/DACA out, now to national guard on the border. I'm probably leaving some things out.

its as if the man doesn't really have anything ideas or solid plans, no ability to formulate them, and no ability to influence his party who holds a majority in gov. - just populist rhetoric.

this dude sucks at shit

Why not mark people of color? Fuck their DL, tattoo their foreheads.

Pennsylvania Judge Calls ICE to Arrest Couples on Their Wedding Days

Afraid the couple wouldn't be able to go on with their wedding, Krisha, 23, raced home to get Alexander's paperwork and prove he was in the U.S. legally. But she says as soon as she left, Judge Elizabeth Beckley, who had been meant to marry the young couple, called Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to have her fiance arrested.

Krisha said ICE officers "scared the hell out of [Alexander]," when they showed up, threatening to take him to an immigration detention center if they couldn't confirm he was in the U.S. legally.

Alexander said officers fingerprinted him without asking for his permission and warned him that instead of celebrating his wedding, he could end up spending the evening at an immigration detention center in Harrisburg.

Worse, Krisha said, was that this wasn't the only time Beckley had called ICE agents to her courtroom. The mother of two said she was contacted by a lawyer who said she was representing at least one other couple who had immigration enforcement officers called by Beckley on their wedding day. ​

That couple was not as lucky as Krisha and Alex, with the groom and his best man allegedly being led away in handcuffs, according to a report from ProPublica.

I continue to be shocked by how straight up evil people can be.

In Pennsylvania, It’s Open Season on Undocumented Immigrants

Back