• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Reform

Thread from an immigration lawyer:

This is why Jeff Sessions takes all the abuse from Trump but doesn't resign. He'll take any amount of embarrassment as long as he is allowed to use his power to terrorize those he deems unworthy.

So Sessions overturned a shitty EOIR decision that was forced through by the Obama administration in his second term. Sessions is correct on this one. Domestic violence is not grounds for asylum and wasn't until 2014-- another one of those things so important to Obama that he didn't push it through until he had been in office for six years. The gang violence decision is the more interesting element here, when gangs like MS13 run parts of El Salvador as much as FARC ran portions of Colombia. Domestic violence plays better though I guess, especially to immigration lawyers who just saw some of their predominantly frivolous asylum business dry up.

There are ways for victims of domestic violence to get their legalized status and green cards. Asylum is not one of them.

So do you think gang violence should or shouldn’t be a reason for asylum?

So Sessions overturned a shitty EOIR decision that was forced through by the Obama administration in his second term. Sessions is correct on this one. Domestic violence is not grounds for asylum and wasn't until 2014-- another one of those things so important to Obama that he didn't push it through until he had been in office for six years. The gang violence decision is the more interesting element here, when gangs like MS13 run parts of El Salvador as much as FARC ran portions of Colombia. Domestic violence plays better though I guess, especially to immigration lawyers who just saw some of their predominantly frivolous asylum business dry up.

There are ways for victims of domestic violence to get their legalized status and green cards. Asylum is not one of them.

When governments won't protect its women victims of domestic violence, there is a pretty good reason to consider their claims of asylum due to a well founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. In these cases, domestic abuse victims could be considered a social group since they are left unprotected by their own government, and thus unable to leave their marriage.

Last edited:
So do you think gang violence should or shouldn’t be a reason for asylum?

I think a case could be made for it in extreme situations like where MS13 runs entire towns in rinky dink countries like El Salvador. Mexico, on the other hand, is beset by drug violence but is big enough where you aren't beholden to it throughout the entire country.

When governments won't protect its women victims of domestic violence, there is a pretty good reason to consider their claims of asylum due to a well founded fear of persecution for reasons of race, religion, nationality, political opinion or membership in a particular social group. In these cases, domestic abuse victims could be considered a social group since they are left unprotected by their own government, and thus unable to leave their marriage.

Nah. Only to lawyers with silver tongues. It has never been the intent of asylum law to protect people from family issues, and the "government isn't doing enough to protect victims of domestic violence" is such a hogwash argument. I mean, what's "enough"? Some people don't think we do enough in this country. Moreover, there's no "social group" or "persecution" involved here. It's not a political party or club of women who are beaten by their husbands. It's one woman and her husband. Shitty situation, and one that too many women everywhere find themselves in. It is not a basis for an asylum claim, or at least it shouldn't be.

I think a case could be made for it in extreme situations like where MS13 runs entire towns in rinky dink countries like El Salvador. Mexico, on the other hand, is beset by drug violence but is big enough where you aren't beholden to it throughout the entire country.

If Mexico is big enough not to be beholden to MS-13, why isn’t the US big enough for the same? Why do we have to deport DACA recipients because of MS-13?

God ordained the government. I guess our nation was formed to spite God as God ordained England's government too.

Can’t wait to see ELC explain that one.

We must have STRONG boarders.

Besides, her skin looks a liiiitle dark...

:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Maybe a presidential candidate has a different philosophy than the current administration. #NotAllMexicans

The #1 culprit in the immigration reform problem and thus the #2 reason Trump is POTUS is John Boehner. The Senate passed a comprehensive immigration reform with a huge bipartisan vote only to have Boehner value his job over his country. His cowardice in not allowing a vote is a direct cause of today's problems as it would have easily passed the House in a bipartisan way. But the orange chicken feared being voted out by the Tea Party.

If Mexico is big enough not to be beholden to MS-13, why isn’t the US big enough for the same? Why do we have to deport DACA recipients because of MS-13?

WTF are you talking about? I'm talking about asylum claims and you're talking about deporting people (or not deporting them?) because they're in MS13?

Back