• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Reform

The highlighted part certainly isn't talking about America.

Then again, brown people can't be expected to be as cultured as white people. That is the basic premise of the article.

RJ I won't speak for police and government clerks, but I can assure hospitals treat all comers. At least the ones I've worked in for the past 20 years.

Maybe this is why Americans can't find their #bootstraps

In July 1986, 57 percent of Americans ages 16 to 19 were employed. The proportion stayed over 50 percent until 2002 when it began dropping steadily. By last July, only 36 percent were working.

Economists and labor market observers worry that falling teen employment will deprive them of valuable work experience and of opportunities to encounter people of different ethnic, social and cultural backgrounds.

Teens who do want to work can find that older workers are standing in the way. The summer jobs teens used to take — flipping burgers, unpacking produce at the grocery store, cashiering at the mall — are increasingly filled by older, often foreign-born, workers. In 2000-2001, teens accounted for 12 percent of retail workers, researchers at Drexel University found. Fifteen years later, it was just 7 percent. Over the same period, the teenage share of restaurant and hotel jobs fell from 21 percent to 16 percent.

RJ I won't speak for police and government clerks, but I can assure hospitals treat all comers. At least the ones I've worked in for the past 20 years.

Hospitals in both countries do have to treat emergencies.

LOL dude he hooked his wagon to another lunatic fringe radio asshat and dreamt of white nationalism and thought the fags needed to be cured, among other whackjob shit.

I believe you are the one who is all chubbed over the fact that there is an articulate member of the admin, not me. Just because someone is smart and can speak on high level does not mean the content of what they say should be scrutinized less. The guy is a fucking lunatic and a xenophobe and possibly a dangerous racist

You mean Larry Elder, the guy whose show he was on more than 70 times? The black Larry Elder? That article fails to mention that. You know how you can tell it's a shitty article? Because it devotes half its space to the worst parts of the Duke lacrosse scandal and glosses over the fact that it was all fabricated bullshit. Because it singles out a particularly inflammatory quote from a guy that isn't even the person they're writing about. Because its link between those two consists of being at Duke 10+ years ago and in conservative circles. Because its principal source for quotes is some dude on Facebook who knew him in HS and thinks "his way of thinking is dangerous". For God's sake, it cites his evidence of white nationalism in a TR quote about being American.

Acosta is a chump and Miller thoroughly destroyed him in the press briefing. It was fun to watch. At least Trump has found an articulate spokesman for this particular issue.

I don't know what's in the legal immigration bill. I suspect a lot of good things, some bad things, and plenty of things that remain unaddressed. I doubt that med school grads or nurses will be touched.

Fundamental values my ass. The Lazarus poem gets brought up in every immigration debate, as if it is law or should shape the law. A poem about dumping the wretched refuse of the world on our doorstep written in the 1880s, long before the creation of the modern welfare state. It should be viewed as a time capsule and reflection of the time period it was written, when people were sailing to Ellis Island from Sicily or wherever. The poem and the Statue of Liberty are completely irrelevant to today's immigration experience, just as they were irrelevant to the immigration experience prior to 1886 when the potato famine Irish and others came. Acosta's reason for bringing it up was precisely to paint it as a governor and shaper of immigration policy. It's tired and trite and Acosta is useless.

The left is aghast that somebody on the right in the current administration actually has a brain and ability to speak. That article is half about the Duke lacrosse case, which did in fact turn out to be a witch hunt. Then it talks about him being a rabble rouser at Duke and in school and having the audacity to like the machismo of Captain Kirk, and OMG he quoted Teddy Roosevelt, and OMG he knew some white nationalist nutjob at Duke.

How do you speak for his "mindset"? He articulated a response to immigration reform and therefore he's a white supremacist?

I haven't heard his speech, but I read online that Miller specifically parroted popular white supremacist talking points that have been published on white nationalist blogs.

Edit: Just google Stephen Miller and white nationalism and you get plenty of links to where he gets his inspiration.

Last edited:

yeah it's an #old or a #brown persons fault, or maybe a #regulation. :thumbsup:

but seriously, there is some competition in the market now. That's good for teenagers, they should learn to sell themselves for a position over the immigrant and not just lie down and cry that they can't get a job. It's healthy because that's the reality in adult job markets as well, you gotta sell yourself or be stuck sucking hind teat the rest of your life.

You mean Larry Elder, the guy whose show he was on more than 70 times? The black Larry Elder? That article fails to mention that. You know how you can tell it's a shitty article? Because it devotes half its space to the worst parts of the Duke lacrosse scandal and glosses over the fact that it was all fabricated bullshit. Because it singles out a particularly inflammatory quote from a guy that isn't even the person they're writing about. Because its link between those two consists of being at Duke 10+ years ago and in conservative circles. Because its principal source for quotes is some dude on Facebook who knew him in HS and thinks "his way of thinking is dangerous". For God's sake, it cites his evidence of white nationalism in a TR quote about being American.

oh boy clearly you are a big fanboy of this racist little cunt Steven Miller. Enjoy defending him for the rest of his tenure in public life, he is sure going to make you proud. This line was particularly strong and had me waving my American flag around:

“Our opponents, the media and the whole world, will soon see, as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.”

You ask how someone could understand his "mindset" and then dismiss the testimony of people who knew him on a personal level during his development into the person he is now: nothing but a provocateur interested in gaining attention for himself by taking extremist nationalistic and exclusionary positions and playing the victim card to shock and cajole listeners and readers, and endear himself to right-wing media and backwards politicians like Michelle Bachman, Jeff Sessions, and gullible idiots like Donald Trump.

Why are you people so enamored with this type of huckster? What is it about the right that attracts them to this brand of bullshit? Does he tap into your discontent about immigrants and diversity just like the rubeish Wisconsinite hanging on to the myth of America?

maybe if all those businesses at the beach weren't employing hot scandanvian and eastern bloc girls for the summer amirite?

srsly, kohr's brothers has it figured out

maybe if all those businesses at the beach weren't employing hot scandanvian and eastern bloc girls for the summer amirite?

srsly, kohr's brothers has it figured out

I was at Water Country USA with my family last week and there were a surprising number of attractive eastern European young women working there as lifeguards.

i don't get it, man, but those temp employee dorms must be like olympic-village level of debauchery

Do people really find Stephen Miller to be smart or articulate?

Miller is an archetype of the kid in your sophomore year philosophy class that regularly quoted Ayn Rand, spent hours googling phrenology, and openly complained to his professors that they were trying to indoctrinate him. He somehow hasn't progressed past that point in appearance, voice, or ideology.

there was no google when I was a sophomore but I think you are spot on.

These types have always held sway with the exclusionists and intolerant.

I'm just going to say it: the English thing is fucking dumb. My father and grandparents came to this country as refugees who didn't speak a lick of English. They worked their asses off to learn English when they got here and went on to have great careers (my grandmother as a full professor at a major university, my grandfather as a geologist, my dad as a doctor).

Knowing English at the time you arrive is a horrible proxy for how successful a person will be in the United States. And it limits immigration to essentially the elites of foreign countries. Which I guess is the entire point. Which is fucking disgraceful.

oh boy clearly you are a big fanboy of this racist little cunt Steven Miller. Enjoy defending him for the rest of his tenure in public life, he is sure going to make you proud. This line was particularly strong and had me waving my American flag around:

“Our opponents, the media and the whole world, will soon see, as we begin to take further actions, that the powers of the president to protect our country are very substantial and will not be questioned.”

You ask how someone could understand his "mindset" and then dismiss the testimony of people who knew him on a personal level during his development into the person he is now: nothing but a provocateur interested in gaining attention for himself by taking extremist nationalistic and exclusionary positions and playing the victim card to shock and cajole listeners and readers, and endear himself to right-wing media and backwards politicians like Michelle Bachman, Jeff Sessions, and gullible idiots like Donald Trump.

Why are you people so enamored with this type of huckster? What is it about the right that attracts them to this brand of bullshit? Does he tap into your discontent about immigrants and diversity just like the rubeish Wisconsinite hanging on to the myth of America?

Don't know the context of his quote, but I think it relates to the courts slapping down the EO on immigration. The quote seems an extension of the idea that the admin will ultimately win in court.

I ask if you are the same person holding all the same thoughts and same manner of doing things now as you were in high school? Or even in college? I know I'm not. Sometimes it's because times change, sometimes because philosophies change, and sometimes because people change. Shit I'm not even the same guy I was 10 years ago.

I'm not enamored by him. I was simply glad to see him slap down that fool Acosta. I'm glad to see that the administration seems to have found its first coherent, non-tweeting spokesman to take up the issue of immigration, both legal and illegal, because it's the one thing they have the right idea about. It's not about diversity or poor, huddled masses or wretched refuse. It's about limiting it and getting it under control and at the very least calling into question how it has affected wages in this country over the long haul. It's about how it affects social welfare programs, how it creates lasting subcultures of poverty and-- yes-- non-English speakers. These are real issues and they can't be glossed over either by a bunch of kumbayah dipshits on the left or racist bigots on the right. At some point, the Democrats decided to make their bed with the element that concluded unfettered immigration was an overall benefit and any attempts to limit it should be painted in the worst light imaginable. There are strange bedfellows in that camp-- the usual immigration rights advocates, big business interests who started influencing the party under WJC, and party partisans who really don't care but see the issue as a way to change the demographics and create a permanent voting majority. The GOP has one foot in with big business and the other in with the Trumpians. Frankly, it had both feet in with the big business element prior to Trump. That means there is a lot to overcome to do any kind of restrictive immigration reform.

To say my views on immigrants boil down to "discontent" with them is a dishonest representation. I've done more for immigrants than you or this entire board combined is likely to do in its lifetime. I've witnessed firsthand the increasing disregard for immigration law over multiple administrations. I've seen how they've twisted waiver policies to make them easier to get, how they've pushed for binding precedent decisions to fulfill the wishes of whatever shithead lobbyists they want to please, how they've placed AILA lawyers in positions of power, how existing law was interpreted intentionally for something it was never meant to address, how sometimes law was just made up out of whole cloth, and I could go on and on. Immigration is a long-term national security issue and should be treated like one. Not necessarily because of A-Q or ISIS (though that is obviously some concern), but because of the way it can pull us apart from inside. Politicians don't give a fuck about any of that because they're too lazy or too dismissive of their constituents (with some justification) to even attempt to delve into it. As with every issue, it's much easier to stick to talking points and point to some dumb study that supports your POV.

I like how ELC says "lasting subcultures of poverty" and then in the next sentence refers to racist bigots as if he isn't one.

I'm just going to say it: the English thing is fucking dumb. My father and grandparents came to this country as refugees who didn't speak a lick of English. They worked their asses off to learn English when they got here and went on to have great careers (my grandmother as a full professor at a major university, my grandfather as a geologist, my dad as a doctor).

Knowing English at the time you arrive is a horrible proxy for how successful a person will be in the United States. And it limits immigration to essentially the elites of foreign countries. Which I guess is the entire point. Which is fucking disgraceful.

My wife didn't speak English when she came to the U.S. Her parents spoke English pretty poorly at the time they came. At home their family never spoke English. Still don't. She was a green card holder when we married. Only became a citizen after we had our first child. Whole family has been plenty successful and good citizens over time. Kinda glad the rules allowed them to come then.

Oddly enough, I've had to go to BBC to find anything that attempts to explain what is in the RAISE Act.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40814625

There are some sensible things in there, particularly the sliding scale based on age.

When dealing with professionals, the overwhelming majority of them speak English already. This is not going to create much of a dent in employment-based professionals, and I'm guessing that it won't effect things like refugees. And again, not sure but I think it probably also wouldn't apply to immediate family, like when somebody tries to bring his wife in. This is going to have an impact in cases where a guy shows up for his work visa interview at a consulate and can't speak any English. How do you propose to work in the US if you can't speak any English?

Back