• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Reform

On the speaking English thing, I hearken back to something my Mom told me. She emigrated as an orphaned child during WWII from Nazi Germany with her brother and sister. She told me once here, she and her siblings made a conscious decision to speak English, even to one another. They didn't want to be identified as German, they wanted to be identified as American and completely immerse into American culture. It could have been because they were Jewish refugees which carried a stigma, I don't know, but I found it interesting and a pretty solid way of immigrating.

Being afraid to be yourself isn't a good way to immigrate.

Meh mixing is what made America what it is, though it requires effort to integrate into the new culture while keeping your own old culture. This was a hell of a lot easier when a move here was a complete break from what you were use to, now like everything else, the ease of travel, and more importantly internet, allows people to keep a much stronger tether to the old, which I can see the resentment of speak English, and be a part of our society comes from.

On the other side, the brain drain problem is real. Lots of talent leaving poor countries for Europe and North America.

Meh mixing is what made America what it is, though it requires effort to integrate into the new culture while keeping your own old culture. This was a hell of a lot easier when a move here was a complete break from what you were use to, now like everything else, the ease of travel, and more importantly internet, allows people to keep a much stronger tether to the old, which I can see the resentment of speak English, and be a part of our society comes from.

The reality is immigrants (especially in big cities) often only spoke sparse English for the first generation. Go to South Philly or Chinatown in many cities or other ethnic communities and you'll find first generation immigrants (and older ones) speaking their native tongue.

I think it's things like seeing a Mexico vs USA soccer game and 10,000s of Hispanics cheering for Mexico while living in America, fuck that if it's so great and you love your country so much go back there.

Being afraid to be yourself isn't a good way to immigrate.

So she should have gone around speaking German and cooking brats and singing Deutschland Deutschland to "be herself?" lol wtf are you talking about? She's pretty proud of the way she immigrated.

I think it's things like seeing a Mexico vs USA soccer game and 10,000s of Hispanics cheering for Mexico while living in America, fuck that if it's so great and you love your country so much go back there.

This is what keeps me up at night.

My grandparents and father immigrated from Italy. My father took three sylables and a vowel off of his last name. It seems immigrant regardless of where they came from wanted to BE an American.

It funny how most of the OG boards agree on meritocracy when one votes as in uneducated dumbos voting for trump. Those people shouldn't vote. Yet you don't believe in a system that may apply the same rules on immigration.

One who is uneducated, uncultured (as in different and/or backwards) should come to America without question.

What's up with that?

lots of experts on immigration on these boards

I don't think any (many?) here would or have argued that poor people (etc.) should not have the right to vote. One can reasonably decry the foolishness of the unwashed masses. Yet respect their right to be foolish. It is alas the responsibility of the politician to appeal to the masses. A decent person striving so will appeal to the better instincts and angels of our nature. Unlike our current dear leader.

Anyhow, people immigrate and assimilate in ways that make sense to them at the time. There's not one "right" way to do such a thing. Circumstances and persons vary--!

My wife's family for a good long while fully intended to return to their homeland. So they maintained their culture and language to make the return as easy a possible for the kids. Just never happened. Eventually they naturalized.

I don't think any (many?) here would or have argued that poor people (etc.) should not have the right to vote. One can reasonably decry the foolishness of the unwashed masses. Yet respect their right to be foolish. It is alas the responsibility of the politician to appeal to the masses. A decent person striving so will appeal to the better instincts and angels of our nature. Unlike our current dear leader.

Anyhow, people immigrate and assimilate in ways that make sense to them at the time. There's not one "right" way to do such a thing. Circumstances and persons vary--!

My wife's family for a good long while fully intended to return to their homeland. So they maintained their culture and language to make the return as easy a possible for the kids. Just never happened. Eventually they naturalized.

Votes should be in proportion to the tax dollars you pay

i'll admit i don't have an answer on how to do it practically, but I don't think everyone should have the right to vote. We could start by raising the age requirement and capping it at life expectancy-ish.

i'll admit i don't have an answer on how to do it practically, but I don't think everyone should have the right to vote. We could start by raising the age requirement and capping it at life expectancy-ish.

raising?

I mean when I move to Canada after Trump stays on for a third term and appoints Ivanka as VP I'm definitely still going to root for Pulisic and Co., fully decked out in American Flag attire.

It is possible to love one's country while also realizing better/safer opportunities lie elsewhere. Also how insecure do you have to be to be bothered when citizens of a different heritage of your own cheer for a different soccer team. For the greatest country on earth, America sure is filled with a bunch of insecure, mediocre people.

Nah, I see it as people marching with the Mexican flag shouting "fuck America" this is my country while burning American flags and demanding the USA cow toe to violence, disrespect, illegal immigration.

Take a hike.

Do you think there is any connection between American actions and the need for Mexicans and other Latinos to leave their country?

I live in CA and see people from Mexico every day. I've never seen any of them say "Fuck America".

Why is it OK for people of Italian or Irish ancestry have massive parades and fly the flags of their homeland but it's bad for Latinos to do the same thing?

My bad. Irish and Italians are white.

Back