• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Immigration Reform

ConnorEl

Reaction score
Trump Unveils Legislation Limiting Legal Immigration

Quote:
----------
A group of 1,470 economists released a letter to the president, saying that "the benefits that immigration brings to society far outweigh their costs, and smart immigration policy could better maximize the benefits of immigration while reducing the costs."
----------

Here's the brief letter from April 2017: An Open Letter from 1,470 Economists on Immigration

So...what would be "smart" immigration policy that maximizes benefits and minimizes costs? And are all the benefits/opportunities strictly economic in some immediate sense? Or are there longer-term considerations that are social/political/economic/cultural etc.

The current proposal, as best I can tell, seems to ostensibly attempt "smart" reform. But it just feels sort of xenophobic, selfish, spiteful, and short-sighted.

Last edited:
just give us two english speakers, a couple doctors and some programmers and we'll trade you some millennial backpackers and an endless flow of early retirees who still have mobility and money

just give us two english speakers, a couple doctors and some programmers and we'll trade you some millennial backpackers and an endless flow of early retirees who still have mobility and money

lol.

But seriously..The Importance of International Medical Graduates in the United States

Quote:
----------
For decades, internationally educated physicians have come to the United States to complete their training. In addition to caring for patients across the United States during their training, many of these physicians stay in the country permanently and enter the U.S. health care workforce. Internationally educated physicians currently account for approximately one fourth of the practicing physician workforce and will continue to play a critical role in the delivery of health care services (2). Any disruption to this flow of international medical graduates (IMGs) will have a negative effect on patient care. This commentary discusses the current vetting process for IMGs and outlines the importance of these physicians in delivering quality health care in the United States and their subsequent contribution to the country's safety.
----------

Stephen Miller is the type of person who legitimately scares me in the White House.

He is a really smart, manipulative person who represents pretty much what we (should) all oppose. He masks just outright racism and xenophobia behind proposed changes/laws that are wrapped into something else. Yesterday was a perfect example of that with his back and forth with Jim Acosta.

The fact that he is pulling strings and making Trump dance like a puppet is very concerning. Especially in light of the evidence (true, hard statistics) representing immigration and what it means to America.

Of course, Miller doesn't talk about how the "highly skilled" immigrants are paid much less than Americans who do the same job. IIT (India) grads bet paid much less than US grads.

Before Trump has any moral position, he should fire all his foreign workers at Mar-A-Lago and replace them with American workers who would love to have a job there. But he won't do that, he'll ask for more foreign workers.

Stephen Miller is the type of person who legitimately scares me in the White House.

He is a really smart, manipulative person who represents pretty much what we (should) all oppose. He masks just outright racism and xenophobia behind proposed changes/laws that are wrapped into something else. Yesterday was a perfect example of that with his back and forth with Jim Acosta.

The fact that he is pulling strings and making Trump dance like a puppet is very concerning. Especially in light of the evidence (true, hard statistics) representing immigration and what it means to America.

Acosta is a chump and Miller thoroughly destroyed him in the press briefing. It was fun to watch. At least Trump has found an articulate spokesman for this particular issue.

I don't know what's in the legal immigration bill. I suspect a lot of good things, some bad things, and plenty of things that remain unaddressed. I doubt that med school grads or nurses will be touched.

Of course, Miller doesn't talk about how the "highly skilled" immigrants are paid much less than Americans who do the same job. IIT (India) grads bet paid much less than US grads.

Before Trump has any moral position, he should fire all his foreign workers at Mar-A-Lago and replace them with American workers who would love to have a job there. But he won't do that, he'll ask for more foreign workers.

They are supposed to get paid the prevailing wage for the skills and education required by the job. That is how it has been for years, though the Department of Labor just rubber stamps those and really lack any kind of enforcement mechanism. That's in place to keep wages from plummeting due to the influx of foreign labor. What it doesn't address is how the constant influx of foreign labor can keep wages stagnant. The big companies will pay them the prevailing wage and then some. The little Indian virtual office IT shops are a different story.

I feel like the concept jumps the line of a laundry list of problems that need to be solved before let's cut immigration to help the beatdown American citizens. Might want to address the real reasons why they are beatdown, uneducated, no skills, addicted to opioids, and unemployable first.

They are supposed to get paid the prevailing wage for the skills and education required by the job. That is how it has been for years, though the Department of Labor just rubber stamps those and really lack any kind of enforcement mechanism. That's in place to keep wages from plummeting due to the influx of foreign labor. What it doesn't address is how the constant influx of foreign labor can keep wages stagnant. The big companies will pay them the prevailing wage and then some. The little Indian virtual office IT shops are a different story.

But they don't and you know it. What many companies do is create a "range" of salaries. It's coincidence that they hire the foreign employees at the very bottom of the range.

Acosta definitely preening but destroyed? lulz

He looked like a little child, stammering and talking over the adult in the room. Plus he's a fucking idiot for thinking a poem written in the 19th century ever was actual immigration law or policy.

I feel like the concept jumps the line of a laundry list of problems that need to be solved before let's cut immigration to help the beatdown American citizens. Might want to address the real reasons why they are beatdown, uneducated, no skills, addicted to opioids, and unemployable first.

Yep, to listen to Trumpsters, the problem is too many immigrants. Especially of the "wrong" kind.

Seems a slight oversimplification. Or just altogether bullshit.

He looked like a little child, stammering and talking over the adult in the room. Plus he's a fucking idiot for thinking a poem written in the 19th century ever was actual immigration law or policy.

i guess posturing about the fundamental values of the US is childish compared to a racist white nationalist....somehow?

no one thinks it was/is immigration law. stop being a punk

But they don't and you know it. What many companies do is create a "range" of salaries. It's coincidence that they hire the foreign employees at the very bottom of the range.

What I know is that I've seen a lot more of this than you have. The big shops are much, much more likely to be in compliance because they aren't benching (and thus not paying or employing) their employees while they wait on another contract to come in. They're also usually not (illegally) deducting the immigration costs from salaries.

Last edited:
i guess posturing about the fundamental values of the US is childish compared to a racist white nationalist....somehow?

no one thinks it was/is immigration law. stop being a punk

Fundamental values my ass. The Lazarus poem gets brought up in every immigration debate, as if it is law or should shape the law. A poem about dumping the wretched refuse of the world on our doorstep written in the 1880s, long before the creation of the modern welfare state. It should be viewed as a time capsule and reflection of the time period it was written, when people were sailing to Ellis Island from Sicily or wherever. The poem and the Statue of Liberty are completely irrelevant to today's immigration experience, just as they were irrelevant to the immigration experience prior to 1886 when the potato famine Irish and others came. Acosta's reason for bringing it up was precisely to paint it as a governor and shaper of immigration policy. It's tired and trite and Acosta is useless.

pretty sure the fact that so many people are aghast at Trump's ban and this proposal is because most people feel the poem reflects a fundamental value

What I know is that I've seen a lot more of this than you have. The big shops are much, much more likely to be in compliance because they aren't benching (and thus not paying or employing) their employees while they wait on another contract to come in. They're also usually not (illegally) deducting the immigration costs from salaries.

You should talk to my friend from Verizon or another Indian friend who has made a fortune bringing over Indian tech grads.

Back