• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Korea Nuclear Ready

Is there any possibility of a complete decimation of NK military assets before they can fire a retaliatory strike? I don't know how feasible it would be, but it would be the only way to save SK.

Short of nuking the entire country, no. NK is something of a black hole from an intelligence stand point. Analysts believe we simply don't know enough about the country to target their military assets effectively and decisively before they can do anything.

Is there any possibility of a complete decimation of NK military assets before they can fire a retaliatory strike? I don't know how feasible it would be, but it would be the only way to save SK.

I don't think there's a clean way to do it at this point. If there was, we would have already done it. I think the fear is we don't know exactly where all of their weapons are. I'm sure NK has a contingency in place so in the event of Kim being taken out, one of the crazy military officials would assume power and just blindly fire anything they had left.

Short of nuking the entire country, no. NK is something of a black hole from an intelligence stand point. Analysts believe we simply don't know enough about the country to target their military assets effectively and decisively before they can do anything.

I don't think there's a clean way to do it at this point. If there was, we would have already done it. I think the fear is we don't know exactly where all of their weapons are. I'm sure NK has a contingency in place so in the event of Kim being taken out, one of the crazy military officials would assume power and just blindly fire anything they had left.

North Korea should probably tone it down then, because America finally elected a morally bankrupt President in the nuclear era that would nuke the whole country in a heartbeat, innocent North Koreans be damned.

North Korea should probably tone it down then, because America finally elected a morally bankrupt President in the nuclear era that would nuke the whole country in a heartbeat, innocent North Koreans be damned.

It's all talk. Kim knows he's totally fucked if he does something hostile. He can huff and puff all he'd like, but he's doing it because he knows they're a joke.

It's all talk. Kim knows he's totally fucked if he does something hostile. He can huff and puff all he'd like, but he's doing it because he knows they're a joke.

This is basically the answer. The North Koreans haven't done anything to harm anybody, at least up to this point. Nothing but a lot of talk and some shows of force that don't threaten anyone.

They have a history of doing shit to hurt South Korea, but that is neither a new thing nor particularly surprising.

At this point, letting Kim and the President talk shit to each other might be the best thing that can happen, because neither one of them has the stones to back up the talk.

Oh Trump has the stones to do it, but why would we carry out a first strike? Leave them alone and let them shoot their toys. Should they do something hostile, I have no doubt Trump would be happy to incinerate NK.

Last edited:
Oh Trump has the stones to do it, but why would we carry out a first strike? Leave them alone and let them shoot their toys. Should they do something hostile, I have no doubt Trump would be happy incinerate to NK.

I was only talking about a first strike. Neither one of them is going to do that, because the consequences of a first strike are disastrous. Its not exactly MAD, in that the US would be fine, but the damage to our allies (and our economy) would be catastrophic to the point we would never do it.

I was only talking about a first strike. Neither one of them is going to do that, because the consequences of a first strike are disastrous. Its not exactly MAD, in that the US would be fine, but the damage to our allies (and our economy) would be catastrophic to the point we would never do it.

Oh ok, yeah we're on the same page

Oh Trump has the stones to do it, but why would we carry out a first strike? Leave them alone and let them shoot their toys. Should they do something hostile, I have no doubt Trump would be happy incinerate to NK.

It's weird that NK is taking this angle.

I don't think that Bush-Obama's do-nothing approach was the right thing at the time, but I think it might be the right thing now. If you totally ignore him, he's either going to write his own death warrant or become the Pacific's version of Cuba.

I like the idea of beaming internet access to the citizens and dropping smart phones. Stir up a mess.

I like the idea of beaming internet access to the citizens and dropping smart phones. Stir up a mess.

To what end, though? Nice idea to rustle some jimmies, but at this point, who knows how he would react. Really probably best to let NK be for the time being...

A nuclear strike seems unrealistic (in addition to horrifying) because of the radiation threat to China, Russia, and others.

An economic war (cease trading and travel with any country that trades with NK), propaganda war, or covert operations, all seem more realistic.

Last edited:
It really is time for one of their rockets to "accidentally" blow up while launching.

To what end, though? Nice idea to rustle some jimmies, but at this point, who knows how he would react. Really probably best to let NK be for the time being...

Yeah the internet strategy seems like a good way to get a bunch of people killed. Plus the phones would die and they would be useless because the whole no power thing.

Chinese banks agree to stop doing business with NKorea. Strange what being a tough leader can accomplish.

images

Last edited:
This is pretty disturbing:

Escalating tension has experts simulating a new Korean War, and the scenarios are sobering

North Korea has approximately 11,000 conventional artillery pieces dug into the mountains north of the demilitarized zone. Although much of the equipment dates from the Soviet era, it is in excellent working order and well-protected from drone strikes and airstrikes because it is designed to be rolled in and out from tunnels in the mountains.

The United States would try to take out the artillery with drones and airstrikes, but that would take days, in which time the North Koreans would probably launch a punishing barrage aimed at Seoul and its population of 25 million.

As the war escalates, the North Koreans would likely bomb the bridges across Seoul’s Han River to make it more difficult for civilians to flee, use special forces and infiltrators to attack key facilities and personnel in South Korea, and launch short-range missiles against South Korean and U.S. military bases.

The Pentagon has estimated the potential number of dead in South Korea at 20,000 each day, Givens said. And that is before the North Koreans turn to nuclear weapons.

Although North Korea has successfully tested an intercontinental ballistic missile and conducted six nuclear tests, the technologies have not yet been married together. That means that though the West Coast of the U.S. now appears to be within range of North Korea’s missiles, it is unlikely that Pyongyang could credibly target the mainland United States with a fully functioning nuclear weapon at this stage.

On the other hand, a nuclear device could be smuggled into a container port or dropped from an airplane, perhaps near one of the U.S. bases in Asia.

“In an all-out conquest for regime survival, they will come after the United States. They are not going to win, but they will try — I guarantee that,’’ Givens said.

More info on NK's artillery capabilities:

https://worldview.stratfor.com/article/how-north-korea-would-retaliate

"The North Korean military's most powerful tool is artillery. It cannot level Seoul as some reports have claimed, but it could do significant damage. Pyongyang risks deteriorating its forces by exposing them to return fire, however, which significantly restricts their use...

The biggest anticipated cost of a North Korean artillery barrage in response to an attack would be the at least partial destruction of Seoul. But the volume of fire that the North can direct against the South Korean capital is limited by some important factors. Of the vast artillery force deployed by the North along the border, only a small portion — Koksan 170-mm self-propelled guns, as well as 240-mm and 300-mm multiple launch rocket systems — are capable of actually reaching Seoul. Broadly speaking, the bulk of Pyongyang's artillery can reach only into the northern border area of South Korea or the northern outskirts of Seoul."

Back