• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

North Korea Nuclear Ready

North Korea has been running its mouth for years, no doubt. What makes this different is that they finally have something to back up their bluster and that Trump is a total wildcard in terms of how he might react. What isn't different is that the level of destruction that would most certainly be inflicted upon the South Koreans should be a huge impediment to any war. This is why Clinton did the sanctions thing 20+ years ago, and another example of why they're pretty much worthless. They merely kick the can down the road, even if they are the best course of action at any given time. Trump should understand that it isn't his fault (or anybody's really) that DPRK has a nuke. The only thing in his control right now is how he chooses to react. I'd like to think the generals advising him are telling him to cool it.

How about listen to the most prominent North Korean defector we have?

Nonetheless, Thae warned America and its allies to be prepared.

"If Kim Jong Un has nuclear weapons and ICBMs, he can do anything," he said. "So, I think the world should be ready to deal with this kind of person."

He added that "Kim Jong Un is a man who can do anything beyond the normal imagination" and that "the final and the real solution to the North Korean nuclear issue is to eliminate Kim Jong Un from the post."

South Korea has enough bunkers to house the entire population.

For real though, am I the only American with a strategic thought in his head? Justin Maynard could have solved this problem 40 years ago.

I'm not sure if it's still in place, but if you live and "work" near Guam in the Mariana Islands, you used to get 90% of your US federal taxes rebated to you.

gonna be sad when the liberal media drives President Trump crazy enough to the point where he kills a few million koreans, but they're just being #fairandbalanced.

I never understood the fantasy that we could keep any country that wanted to develop a weapon and a missile to launch said weapon from doing so when the technology is 70 years old. If the country doesn't want to listen they will eventually get there.

Which is why we've built up a huge system designed to provide incentives and threats that make it in most country's best interest to not want to develop a weapon. When politicians begin to lose sight of the balance required between both incentives and threats (and the threat they are facing themselves) you see situations spiral out of control.

Sadly, what's happened over the past 20 years (Ukraine, Libya, Iraq, refusal to have 2 party talks, refusal to table a end of war treaty, etc) has shown to NK leadership that there are no incentives to stopping and the threats weren't enough on their own because they weren't credible (the US was never going to start a new war pre-emptively). When you provide no carrot and the stick isn't a real stick ... you've got no cards to play.

And no, China really doesn't have one either and NK knows this. Blaming this mess on China is a weak cop out - this is largely the US's mess and a lot of very smart people have been trying to get 4 straight administrations now to recognize what must be done, but nobody wanted to eat their hat, take the nasty medicine and play nice with NK because it would look bad on TV news. So here we are.

How about listen to the most prominent North Korean defector we have?

Last time we listened to a rogue nation's "most prominent defector" worked out pretty well. Curve ball 2.0?

And when did Trump decide that our intelligence community finally got their shit together and instead of being haters, fake news, incompetent etc. suddenly is spot on with this new information?

The NK regime did the only thing it could to survive after the collapse of the USSR and the reforms in China. They developed nuclear weapons and will try to use them as a means of preventing any hostile takeover from abroad. We have little choice: we have to subvert the NK regime from within.

North Korea has been running its mouth for years, no doubt. What makes this different is that they finally have something to back up their bluster and that Trump is a total wildcard in terms of how he might react. What isn't different is that the level of destruction that would most certainly be inflicted upon the South Koreans should be a huge impediment to any war. This is why Clinton did the sanctions thing 20+ years ago, and another example of why they're pretty much worthless. They merely kick the can down the road, even if they are the best course of action at any given time. Trump should understand that it isn't his fault (or anybody's really) that DPRK has a nuke. The only thing in his control right now is how he chooses to react. I'd like to think the generals advising him are telling him to cool it.

Facepalm

The NK regime did the only thing it could to survive after the collapse of the USSR and the reforms in China. They developed nuclear weapons and will try to use them as a means of preventing any hostile takeover from abroad. We have little choice: we have to subvert the NK regime from within.

Fire and fury like nothing the world has ever seen before sounds like an inside job...

as any boxer, coach or general knows, threatening one thing while doing something else can be very effective

So he's drawn a line in the sand what four times now? You destroyed Obama for doing it once.

[/B]

link?

I made an assumption and generalized statement, you're right. I'm confident with the time and effort, we could document you criticizing Obama over Syria though.

Last edited:
I love when sailor uses the word ideology

Back