• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Solar Eclipse Thread

kinda looked like i had sunglasses on outside for a little while

otherwise pretty overrated

If you look under a tree during the partial eclipse, you might see a pattern of crescents that is basically the spaces between the leaves acting as a pinhole camera.

Got this just after the max at 2:42 in DC

20914706_10100827759709773_1783857606604978640_n.jpg

Didn't get dark at all at 81%. Viewing the eclipse was cool though.

Pretty much. I think we were at 84%? Didn't look that different just walking around, but pretty cool to view through the shades. No doubt totality would've been awesome. But this was still pretty cool. Worked out well since the Bug had a school meet & greet today but then doesn't start officially til tomorrow. So took her and her friend out to watch from the park.

20915523_10100827759669853_384727502005745430_n.jpg

The crescents in the trees were a nice consolation prize for not getting totality.

Haven't seen a good Panama City Beach t-shirt since I moved out of the ATL.

Totality pretty much cut through Trump country.

Anybody else getting stoked for Eclipse 2024 in Buffalo ?

Looks like it's just going to miss Nova Scotia, so the Carly Simon lyric from "You're So Vain," will not apply.

some pretty sh!tty cities in that path.

I've never loved Trump more than when his dumbass was just squinting at the fucking sun holding a pair of eclipse glasses.

20953277_10100827783751593_5816290026695045384_n.jpg

88% here. Crescents through the trees were the highlight.

Edit: Actually, the best part for me was that I got to see sunspots (someone brought a telescope with a filter). Sunspots aren't specific to the eclipse though.

I try to live my life without regrets, but if I could do it over again, I would have driven the 1.5 hours (not accounting for whatever extra traffic there may have been) to get the totality. As it was in my 97% zone, the light at 2:47 was sort of like the light at around 6pm. If I was simply sitting inside looking out a window and somehow had avoided all the hype about the eclipse, I would have simply thought some light cloud cover was in effect.

Oh well, that 2024 map looks like it hits Montreal, I'll make sure not to compromise again.

Yeah I am pretty disappointed in my brother in Charlotte. He wasn't working today - just drive a couple hours to see the totality and he stayed home

I agree that it felt/sounded more different than it looked. The crickets and the drop in temperature were pretty crazy.

I wonder how many hippies made hippie babies at the moment of totality. You know granola folks within the path were banging from coast to coast trying to conceive on eclipse day and reach totality at the moment of totality.

at least they have sex on weekdays, man

Was in 100% totality and it was freakin awesome. Just amazing.

I try to live my life without regrets, but if I could do it over again, I would have driven the 1.5 hours (not accounting for whatever extra traffic there may have been) to get the totality. As it was in my 97% zone, the light at 2:47 was sort of like the light at around 6pm. If I was simply sitting inside looking out a window and somehow had avoided all the hype about the eclipse, I would have simply thought some light cloud cover was in effect.

Oh well, that 2024 map looks like it hits Montreal, I'll make sure not to compromise again.

Montreal >>> Buffalo, Cleveland, and Dallas

Going to be cold though.

Was in 100% totality and it was freakin awesome. Just amazing.

Same.

The slow drop in temperature (until it was ultimately actually cold when it happened, at least here), the twilight light without the long shadows, the crickets picking up in chatter, then all of the birds and other noises stopping... and then BOOM. Corona. I don't even know how to describe it. Like the photos, but more shimmery?Brighter? Whiter? I don't know, but it was awesome in the truest sense of the word. Plus, the sky was dark and it was like a 360* sunset, which was also gorgeous where I was (clear view of Mt. Hood in the distance).
10 minutes later it was like it had never happened.

We had considered not driving the 30min into the path of totality and just settling for 99.6% here in portland, but everything I read made the totality/corona sound so cool I just didn't want to miss it. We found some crazy back roads and drove south, then just pulled off the road into a farming field once we were certain we were in the path of totality. SO, so glad we did that... and also glad to not be stuck in traffic on I-5 right now (we had no issues with traffic on our way home).

Back