• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the announcers said Webb had a sore neck today and they are playing it safe.

Even Gilbert is better than DA. Time to axe that guy.

There will be no wins in games he has to play a substantial role.

Not sure how Funchess is going to fit in this season with KB, oldyeller, CMC, Samuel, Stewart ballin out. Hoping he can at least be somewhat of a threat.

Anderson's board stock has gone from "best backup in the league!" to "Get him off the team!" in 3 weeks.

Yeah I recorded the game and have only seen highlights, but I'd imagine DA was playing against first/second team defenders while Gilbert was not

Anderson's board stock has gone from "best backup in the league!" to "Get him off the team!" in 3 weeks.

Actually, he was pretty mediocre last season too. The Tampa Bay game in Charlotte specifically comes to mind.

I've always thought that the "best backup in the league" talk was kind of crazy, and mostly spewed by the same Panthers fans who regularly complain about Cam (i.e. OWGs).

To each his own, but I haven't seen anything from DA that would impress in at least two years.

Yeah I recorded the game and have only seen highlights, but I'd imagine DA was playing against first/second team defenders while Gilbert was not

I've never understood this argument. Typically, when a player is playing against the 3rd string or whatever he is also playing alongside and with 3rd stringers. So it should even out. In KA's case, he may have been throwing against 3rd team defenders in whatever game but he also had blocking by 3rd teamers and was throwing to 3rd teamers who may not be able to make the great catches and plays against that defense that a 1st stringer would. So I've never thought it made sense. it should pretty much even out.

BTW, IMO Gilbert looked pretty good in the preseason games in which I've seen him play. Anderson is a really, really good locker room guy and good friend of Cam's. SO I don't know what the Panthers should do, but given Cam's situation and that Webb is the other QB - I would have 3 QBs on that roster that you trust. For sure.

Last edited:
Actually, he was pretty mediocre last season too. The Tampa Bay game in Charlotte specifically comes to mind.

I've always thought that the "best backup in the league" talk was kind of crazy, and mostly spewed by the same Panthers fans who regularly complain about Cam (i.e. OWGs).

To each his own, but I haven't seen anything from DA that would impress in at least two years.

I think he was one of the best backups through the Super Bowl season. He started declining last season and he should be cut or at least behind Webb this season.

I've never understood this argument. Typically, when a player is playing against the 3rd string or whatever he is also playing alongside and with 3rd stringers. So it should even out. In KA's case, he may have been throwing against 3rd team defenders in whatever game but he also had blocking by 3rd teamers and was throwing to 3rd teamers who may not be able to make the great catches and plays against that defense that a 1st stringer would. So I've never thought it made sense. it should pretty much even out.

BTW, IMO Gilbert looked pretty good in the preseason games in which I've seen him play. Anderson is a really, really good locker room guy and good friend of Cam's. SO I don't know what the Panthers should do, but given Cam's situation and that Webb is the other QB - I would have 3 QBs on that roster that you trust. For sure.

Agree with this argument about the back ups.

Webb should be 2. Gilbert 3. I can't remember the last time I thought Anderson played average.

Pretty silly, IMHO, that we haven't ever (to my recollection) drafted a solid college QB in the later rounds to groom under Cam. Sure he's still young, but you never know what can happen with injuries, contract disputes, etc. I get that there were probably more pressing needs, but would be nice to have a young gun in the pipeline.

Pretty silly, IMHO, that we haven't ever (to my recollection) drafted a solid college QB in the later rounds to groom under Cam. Sure he's still young, but you never know what can happen with injuries, contract disputes, etc. I get that there were probably more pressing needs, but would be nice to have a young gun in the pipeline.

Meh, I'd rather look for starters in other positions than a backup QB. If Cam goes down 6-10 is our ceiling anyways, what's the point.

I think he was one of the best backups through the Super Bowl season. He started declining last season and he should be cut or at least behind Webb this season.

This preseason showing has me agreeing. I'm now with you on #teamWebb

Meh, I'd rather look for starters in other positions than a backup QB. If Cam goes down 6-10 is our ceiling anyways, what's the point.

Surely we could have spared one 5th-7th round pick over 6 years. Belichick sure seems to think it's a good idea with both Jimmy G and Brissett.

Surely we could have spared one 5th-7th round pick over 6 years. Belichick sure seems to think it's a good idea with both Jimmy G and Brissett.

Brady is 12 years older than Cam. The Panthers have had two veterans behind a young QB. That's how you want to play it. Both are as big as Cam. One is almost as mobile. In about three years, I think they should consider getting a young QB to groom assuming Gilbert or another street FA or UFA doesn't fill that role.

Both CMC and Samuel looked good. Worley sucks donkey dick, they need to find some veteran DBs.

Brady is 12 years older than Cam. The Panthers have had two veterans behind a young QB. That's how you want to play it. Both are as big as Cam. One is almost as mobile. In about three years, I think they should consider getting a young QB to groom assuming Gilbert or another street FA or UFA doesn't fill that role.

Agree to disagree, and I guess I'm in the minority on this. After 2-3 years of starting, going through camp, etc. in the NFL, Cam was a veteran. I'd rather have some new blood with more upside than an aging, worsening veteran and a special teams player. Keep one for wisdom/continuity/locker room stuff, sure, but take a flyer on another big, mobile QB in a later round.

At this point, if Cam goes down with a season ending injury, we have zero hope. If we have a young, talented backup without NFL experience, at least we have a shot if they can perform (thinking Brisset, Cardale Jones, Trevone Boykin, etc).

The Pats have two young QBs because Brady could retire at any time. Cam will play for at least 5 more years.

A big mobile QB with legit NFL potential won't last until the late rounds.

We wouldn't be looking for a QB that can sub for Cam if his arm falls off game 1. We'd be looking for a guy that can keep the ship from sinking for a few games if he happens to get a bad ankle sprain or something.

The Pats have two young QBs because Brady could retire at any time. Cam will play for at least 5 more years.

A big mobile QB with legit NFL potential won't last until the late rounds.

QBs that went in the 3rd round or later since 2011, who I'd really like to have over DA or Webb since 2011 are below.

Tyrod Taylor
Kirk Cousins
Nick Foles
Russell Wilson
Landry Jones
Mike Glennon
AJ McCarron
Aaron Murray (maybe)
Logan Thomas (maybe)
Bryce Petty (maybe)
Brett Hundley (maybe)
Trevor Siemian