• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
You think getting a long term contract will discourage him from protesting against police violence?

You think getting a long term contract will discourage him from protesting against police violence?

I've never once mentioned him protesting. The drama surrounding testing, suing the NFL, and blowing up on players that don't support his cause is what I was referring to.

The really bad contracts Hurney gave out were paying both Deangelo and J-Stew and whatever kicker we had at the time (Mare I think?). Locking down Big Money was fine.

Only concern I have about the Reid signing is getting the secret blackball from Goodell and referees not giving him any breaks, which to me he certainly did not get this past season

I've never once mentioned him protesting. The drama surrounding testing, suing the NFL, and blowing up on players that don't support his cause is what I was referring to.

none of that seems to matter to the Panthers. I saw a quote from one of the beat writers that said there was not one person in the locker room who didn't want him back.

Our backup QB spot is wide open. I wonder if Reid knows anybody who would be interested.

He's under contract, but not uncuttable and could easily be put on the practice squad if we have a better option.

@jas_bai

Hearing from sources: #USSF has given assurances to Tepper that if he gets a #MLS franchise and a renovated stadium, #Charlotte will get #WorldCup2026 group stage and early knockout round matches.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if we can get stadium improvements approved and finished by 2026, unless he's a lot further along behind the scenes than we realize.

Some of that money would need to come from the state.

MLS would hand him a franchise.

Yeah, I'd be shocked if we can get stadium improvements approved and finished by 2026, unless he's a lot further along behind the scenes than we realize.

Some of that money would need to come from the state.

MLS would hand him a franchise.

It’s pretty far along. The roof was never really in the plans and everyone is hung up on that, but the actual “improvements” are well beyond the “idea” stage and would not take more than a year to complete.

@jas_bai

Hearing from sources: #USSF has given assurances to Tepper that if he gets a #MLS franchise and a renovated stadium, #Charlotte will get #WorldCup2026 group stage and early knockout round matches.

Win-MEGAWIN.

Our backup QB spot is wide open. I wonder if Reid knows anybody who would be interested.

Hahahahaha, was a QB demanding 20,000,000.00+ what you had in mind?

@sportscenter: A source told the Associated Press that Colin Kaepernick wanted $20 million or more to consider playing with the AAF.

How long are y’all going to keep letting this cat clown you?

Analysis: As the Panthers explore their options, could Colin Kaepernick fit with Carolina? https://theathletic.com/826676/2019/02/19/analysis-as-the-panthers-explore-their-options-could-colin-kaepernick-fit-with-carolina/

[h=3]Panthers’ offseason plan[/h] General manager Marty Hurney has other pressing personnel needs besides backup quarterback. The Panthers need to add at least one edge rusher in the draft or free agency, and have to build depth along both lines and in the secondary.

That’s a lot to address without a ton of money to do so.

The Panthers are only about $15 million below the salary cap after re-signing Reid, although they can create $7.25 million by cutting left tackle Matt Kalil with a post-June 1 designation. Nickel back Captain Munnerlyn could be another cap casualty.

Cutting Kalil and Captain would be good.

Last edited:
So the same Panthers that have less than 15m in cap space and need to fill massive holes in the D-Line, O-Line, and secondary, are supposed to take a run at a backup QB that hasn't played in 2 full seasons and is rumored to be demanding over 20m? Lol. I've heard dumber things, but the list is small.

Also, Torrey Smith seems like an obvious cut.

It would take $20M for him to play in a minor league in which he'd be by far the biggest draw. I doubt it would take anywhere close to that to get him on an NFL roster. I'm guessing around $5M. That's where veteran backups seem to be.

We can handle QB in one of two ways. Go with Kyle Allen or Heinecke or whatever rando and if Cam gets injured, go into full on tank for Tua mode. Or recognize that we've actually got a solid roster and we don't want to waste it and pay for an insurance policy. Given those are the options, the best thing to do would be bring in Kaep or another solid vet for as cheap as possible and let him compete against Allen and another rando. For what it's worth, Garrett Gilbert is playing well in the AAF for Orlando.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back