• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm late to the thread as an Eagles fan. I'm glad the Eagles won but let's just make clear 3 things. Both teams are pretty good. Neither's season is ended because of this game. Keuchly is one of the greats and I hope he gets back soon.

I'm sure somebody has said this and I'm not going to catch up on the thread.

Potentially losing Luke for the season (maybe career) on a night honoring Sam Mills is especially cruel.

I think Cam was a little dinged up on the play so Ron felt a little more compelled to throw the flag otherwise because he wanted to give Cam a minute to collect.

Thanks. Watching this and the NLDS game 5 at the same time.

Panthers have the worst running game I've ever seen. Honestly. Ever. It's super hard to win when you have to overcome that. Puts so much pressure on the passing game and the front 7 are free to come after Cam. You can do it maybe against a bad defense. Maybe. Our running backs always get hit before the LOS.

Any chance that Luke is in the protocol out of precaution and didn't actually suffer a concussion or is that just a fools hope? Whole team played like poop other than Cam last night. He got zero help. And then he stunk it up on the last two drives. But I thought he played his heart out up until those two drives. Didn't like the play calling he got all night.

I'm late to the thread as an Eagles fan. I'm glad the Eagles won but let's just make clear 3 things. Both teams are pretty good. Neither's season is ended because of this game. Keuchly is one of the greats and I hope he gets back soon.

Agreed that these are two of the best teams in the NFC and we SHOULD both make the playoffs. That's not a will, but a strong should.

Panthers have the worst running game I've ever seen. Honestly. Ever. It's super hard to win when you have to overcome that. Puts so much pressure on the passing game and the front 7 are free to come after Cam. You can do it maybe against a bad defense. Maybe. Our running backs always get hit before the LOS.

damn right. i don't understand how the run blocking is so bad now. is kalil that much of a difference?

It doesn’t excuse it against the Lions but Fletcher Cox is a great DT and I’m sure his work on Turner last night hurt Stewart.

As bad as the running game is, it's pretty insane that even after Olsen going down we have four 300 yd receivers.

I would have taken 2 of 3 from Phil, NE and Det. We are a good team, but we have flaws. Need to continue playing with a chip on our shoulder.

The running game wasn't helped by the fact that they seemed to run the same fucking run play on every first down. Nobody played great last night, but I pin that loss squarely on Shula. That was some Loboesque playcalling all game long.

Cam is so slow to the line and then his cadence is exactly the same. Eagles were off the ball first all game, timing the count. Not sure if that is on Cam or your OC, but it was a factor in my mind.

You turn the ball over two times in your own Red Zone against a good team and you're probably not going to win

Being a panthers fan and a Wake fan have made me hate running the ball out of shotgun. I don't mean I'm opposed to it occasionally, like when the other team is thinking pass and you run a draw, or when it's the qb running. But for that to be the primary formation a team runs out of is about the worst. Panthers o-line can't run block without Khalil. Maybe at least let Stewart get a head of steam and be closer to the line instead of setting him up to get hit for a loss every damn time.

No explanation for the play calling on the last two drives, but I went to bed very angry.

Being a panthers fan and a Wake fan have made me hate running the ball out of shotgun. I don't mean I'm opposed to it occasionally, like when the other team is thinking pass and you run a draw, or when it's the qb running. But for that to be the primary formation a team runs out of is about the worst. Panthers o-line can't run block without Khalil. Maybe at least let Stewart get a head of steam and be closer to the line instead of setting him up to get hit for a loss every damn time.

No explanation for the play calling on the last two drives, but I went to bed very angry.

This. We even got a classic run out of shotgun on 3rd and less than 2 last night. The result was amazingly predictable. I swear at one point in the 4th quarter, I even saw CMC shift in motion and do that stupid freaking chop-your-feet-in-motion-but-then-check-to-the-sideline-for-another-play move.

Any chance that Luke is in the protocol out of precaution and didn't actually suffer a concussion or is that just a fools hope? Whole team played like poop other than Cam last night. He got zero help. And then he stunk it up on the last two drives. But I thought he played his heart out up until those two drives. Didn't like the play calling he got all night.

I think probably fools hope but maybe not. CAM definitely made some plays last night, he had several throws that could have been picked off but also made some great plays running the ball and Kelvin was good. As it's been said the running game overall is terrible. That has to get better or we won't go very far even if make playoffs.

I feel like I'm watching the exact same team.

Trouble running the ball
Decent production when they open it up and pass
QB has the most success running on the team
stout Defense (although the Panthers have taken a huge step back)
Conservative playcalling
Shifty talent in a new playmaker
Despite not really looking that great, have a 4-1 record (until last night, hopefully Wake doesn't follow @ GT)

Obviously I'm all for player safety, and if the doctors tell Luke he needs to hang it up (or he feels like he needs to), then no one should fault him, but it's amazing how far concussion safety/protocol has come. 5 years ago he probably would have only missed one series.

Went to the game last night and it was awesome. Crowd was nuts, but there were a lot of Philly fans too. My takeaway from the game:

1) Run game has to be fixed. JStew was so ticked off last night at the OLine.
2) Cam battled last night. He didn't want to lose, made some dumb mistakes, but balled hard.
3) Take out the two picks (which weren't Cam's fault) inside the 15 and this is a totally different game. Philly generally wasn't moving the ball on us outside of those two 15 yard TD drives.
4) Play calling was a roller coaster. It was clear we should be one dimensional but Shula insisted on running the ball throughout the game it felt. Yet on 3&4 and 1 on the last drive he doesn't go with a QB sneak, but on the drive before he some reason was calling for all verticals when there was still 3.5 minutes left in the game. Puzzling.
5) I think we can be a 9-11 win team depending on how these things fall. Gotta get the next two vs Chicago and TB to be 6-2. I had us at 4-2 at this point in the season, but sometimes we look like we should be 6-0 or 1-5.

Last edited:
The run game will get fixed, teams often go through bad spells like this in a season. Hopefully the extra time to prep for the Bears will allow us to kick it as soon as next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back