• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't think funchess is very fast. he didn't have a very good 40 at the combine and he never seems to have much separation. he's big and strong and physical, those are his strengths.

Funchess ran a 4.47 40 at the combine. That's fast. And it's surely fast enough to run deep routes at 6ft4. The Panthers saw him as a receiver as did most of the NFL BECAUSE of his speed.

Yeah, not sure I completely follow the thinking there. If anything letting Norman walk seemed to indicate lack of short-termism.

It could easily be argued we are a dynamic playmaker away this year though

What that showed is that Gettleman has a short fuse and likes to show off.

Yeah. I was just talking about the first three rounds.

Another weird trend at the top of the draft guy picking players who played multiple positions in college or multiple roles. Shaq, Funchess, even Butler was considered to be a possible DE in some sets. And now CMC and Samuel.

Funchess ran a 4.47 40 at the combine. That's fast. And it's surely fast enough to run deep routes at 6ft4. The Panthers saw him as a receiver as did most of the NFL BECAUSE of his speed.

fwiw he ran 4.7 at the NFL combine. he ran 4.47 at his pro day where all 40 times magically get better.

i've never seen him have a step on a DB. but he's bigger than them.

Funchess ran a 4.7 at the combine, and because that was slow for him he ran it again at his pro day. He was clocked at 4.47 by some and the Panthers had him at 4.51 so they drafted him in large part due to his speed/size combo. That's largely why although he was put with the tight ends at the combine, virtually all teams saw him as a WR and not TE - his speed.

Eh Samuel was a bad pick at the time and continues to look like a bad pick. I had several osu fans say they didn't see him being a good nfl player.

I hope I'm wrong

I feel like he cost us the Bears game, that fumble completely deflated the offense for the day

No matter what he ran several years ago, it seems pretty clear Funchess as our "deep threat" is not a great strategy.

Very, very few successful 25+ yard passes are jump balls. It's all about separation from the defenders which he very rarely gets

i mean funchess' 40 time is kind of irrelevant, we've seen him play. he would be fast for a TE but he's not fast for a WR.

i mean funchess' 40 time is kind of irrelevant, we've seen him play. he would be fast for a TE but he's not fast for a WR.

Exactly. I was hoping Funchess would slide into the TE2 spot, but the instead he's entrenched at WR2 due to lack of talent.

Problem is, Cam hasn't gotten within 5 yards of him with a deep throw yet.

Take a look at the 5:15 mark of the 1st quarter and the 3:11 mark of the second quarter from this past Sunday.

At 8:35 in the third Cam did overthrown him but a defender was right there anyway

Funchess would have to add more meat on his frame to play TE I would imagine. But I would love to see him do it.

And I wish Cam would back shoulder some damn deep throws like he used to. I think his mechanics look a little off on the longer throws. To me, his front shoulder is too high which is causing those balls to sail again. Probably or at least maybe due to the shoulder surgery. Also, I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about really.

Eh Samuel was a bad pick at the time and continues to look like a bad pick. I had several osu fans say they didn't see him being a good nfl player.

I hope I'm wrong

I feel like he cost us the Bears game, that fumble completely deflated the offense for the day

As I've said, I agree it was a stupid pick after drafting CMC. I do think he would be great in the CMC role, though.

FWIW, I wanted Dede Westbrook in the 3rd or 4th. Think he will end up being a stud. Basically, I want the Jags' draft class.

Funchess would have to add more meat on his frame to play TE I would imagine. But I would love to see him do it.

And I wish Cam would back shoulder some damn deep throws like he used to. I think his mechanics look a little off on the longer throws. To me, his front shoulder is too high which is causing those balls to sail again. Probably or at least maybe due to the shoulder surgery. Also, I have no fucking idea what I'm talking about really.

Didn't realize he's slimmed down since the draft. He's listed at 225.

lol this is perfect. the one time i can remember where a play like that was drawn where CMC wasn't the #1 target on the play, it was fozzy's TD in NE.

Which was a freaking gorgeous use of CMC as a decoy.

I think I'm going start keeping track of how many times a game that they take JStew out of the game and then they bring in CMC for pass protection. It was hilarious in the game against the Bears when the announcers said that CMC had to get his wrist taped up because it was hurting and then literally on the next play they had him in pass protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back