• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was very impressed by Wentz last night. He took a beating at times too and stayed calm and composed.

Definitely looked better than Cam last night - although not as big a difference as the stats show.

Wentz's completion percentage wasn't that high either. Made some big third-down throws though and some very good decisions

I was very impressed by Wentz last night. He took a beating at times too and stayed calm and composed.

Definitely looked better than Cam last night - although not as big a difference as the stats show.

I dunno. Cam could have easily been picked two more times and if the refs threw flags with the panthers CBs were molesting Jefferies.....

JStew was not good but I heard this am on radio that our OL graded out for worse run blocking all year with avg. hit -3+ yards in backfield. You can't gain yards when constantly getting hit behind the line. Big question is why is the OL struggling so much??? Is Kalil that important? Same guards as last year with Trai Turner and Norwell. Is Kalil's lil bro getting dominated? Other tackle? Really glaring how bad our run blocking has been the last 2 games. Lot of blame has to go on Shula to stay with straight up the middle runs and needs to go all misdirection until OL can show it can move the line. It worked early in getting ball to Curtis on nice end run and should have done that alot more.

Of course the worse part was running game was horrible and to add to the horror was JStews terrible bobble leading to INT. That was the game. Panthers win if that doesn't happen. Very very bad execution.

I don't think any running back would have gained yard last night. They were getting hit in the back field all night long.

I would have rather dumped the running game and used short passes or screens whenever you wanted to call a running play.

I don't think any running back would have gained yard last night. They were getting hit in the back field all night long.

I would have rather dumped the running game and used short passes or screens whenever you wanted to call a running play.

We did. McCaffrey led the team with 10 receptions, and most were quick screens with him out wide or full on RB screens. It's almost like we were telegraphing our runs. Either that, or they had Shula pegged.

I too noticed that they were getting huge jumps on Cam's rhythm. It's strange because he used to take so much pride in his hard counts.

Last edited:
So I guess the reason why Cam was able to run effectively on draws/designed runs is that 1) the defense was completely set on shutting down our RBs, who were already poorly performing and/or 2) he's just that good. Even still, you'd think we could design some better running plays to the RBs that capitalize on some of the lanes/blocking that Cam was finding.

If the Panthers force Cam to be a pocket passer, then yes Wentz is the better qb. If Cam is allowed to be Cam, he's the better football player.

Cam seemed pretty fine from the pocket against the Lions.

If you are trying to say he doesn't need to be throwing 50 times on a surgically repaired shoulder then I'd say you're probably onto something.

We do need to hit some long passes. I think that would massively help the run game. Eagles played a lot of guys near the line last night.

Absence of a deep threat continues to hurt

Cam didn't throw a single good deep ball last night, either, along with the general lack of a deep threat. Missed CMC on a wide open wheel route for a TD at one point, too.

As someone who is an Eagles fan I can tell you this has been the formula in almost every game defensively. Rush 4 guys up front, have the corners play incredibly soft coverage (because our corners aren't good enough to jam the receiver at the line and then be able to cover effectively), and force the opposing team to throw short passes or screens and just hope for them to make a mistake at some point.

We also have a habit that if a team is on 3rd and 12 or longer we'll drop all our corners, safeties, and a few linebackers to the yard line they need to get to and force teams to throw underneath. We only had a chance to do that one time last night but against the Cardinals I think we got a chance to do that 4 or 5 times.

As someone who is an Eagles fan I can tell you this has been the formula in almost every game defensively. Rush 4 guys up front, have the corners play incredibly soft coverage (because our corners aren't good enough to jam the receiver at the line and then be able to cover effectively), and force the opposing team to throw short passes or screens and just hope for them to make a mistake at some point.

We also have a habit that if a team is on 3rd and 12 or longer we'll drop all our corners, safeties, and a few linebackers to the yard line they need to get to and force teams to throw underneath. We only had a chance to do that one time last night but against the Cardinals I think we got a chance to do that 4 or 5 times.

And this works because the Iggles 4 D-linemen are beating the 5 O-linemen of the opponents,

Y'all seen that sucker punch in the stands video. Sickening. Fella got arrested (side note- yay police boo NFL kneeling thugs!). Old fella that took a beating was using racial slurs (but both appear to be white dudes).

The old guy took that beating like a champ. That young feller needs to take a beating in lockup

Kuechly clears concussion protocol and is expected to play next Sunday, per Adam Schefter.

Panthers spokesman says Kuechly is still in concussion protocol

The key thing is that it appears Kuechly did not actually suffer a concussion. It appears he hurt his neck and back (possibly a stinger) and was put into the concussion protocol as a precaution. That precaution is how the system is supposed to work and, considering his history, how I think the Panthers will respond with him every time there is any question as to if he has sustained a concussion or not.

Panthers among five teams actively trying to trade for Navorro Bowman.

That'd be cool, homestate kid. Maybe a little awkward since Bowman was convinced he should've won DPOY over Luke in 2013.

With Luke's current status we should make our LB depth as strong as possible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back