• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me either. It seems like at the very least, he could have helped Samuel along in his early development. You would think there would have been a natural rapport with him being a Buckeye and all.

Possible. It may have worked with Philly Brown. He was serviceable for the Panthers and now he's out of the league.

Letting Ginn go might've been a case of Gettles putting too much faith in his own abilities and thinking he could cobble together his production and what he did for the offense with the likes of Shepard, maybe Byrd and whoever he drafted (wound up being Samuel(s)). Obviously that didn't exactly work out.

Shepard's cap hit is only $700K less than Ginn's. Their production hasn't exactly been that close, however

Letting Ginn go might've been a case of Gettles putting too much faith in his own abilities and thinking he could cobble together his production and what he did for the offense with the likes of Shepard, maybe Byrd and whoever he drafted (wound up being Samuel(s)). Obviously that didn't exactly work out.

Shepard's cap hit is only $700K less than Ginn's. Their production hasn't exactly been that close, however

Completely agree. Similar mistake to letting Norman go.

GMan's drafts look pretty bad. I forgot Moton was a 2nd round pick, too, from the Kony Ealy deal (thanks Pats!). We've drafted 3 offensive players in the first two rounds and haven't gotten much from them and have one of the worst offenses in the league.

I was tongue in cheek there, I'm really just pissed at letting Ginn walk. Honestly don't understand that decision.

I actually didn't realize that JuJu Smith was the next receiver taken, and he came out after his Junior year too. You have a little more ammunition with that argument than I thought.

Did you guys watch Curtis Samuel play in college, ever? Completely different player than Ginn ever was. Don't think he lined up out wide a single time at OSU, always at RB or HB/Slot. By far, the majority of his receiving production was on quick screens/slants/intermediate routes.

If we drafted him to be the next Ted Ginn, that was incredibly dumb from the start. I think his ceiling is a slightly less dynamic Tyreke Hill, which would be awesome.

Did you guys watch Curtis Samuel play in college, ever? Completely different player than Ginn ever was. Don't think he lined up out wide a single time at OSU, always at RB or HB/Slot. By far, the majority of his receiving production was on quick screens/slants/intermediate routes.

If we drafted him to be the next Ted Ginn, that was incredibly dumb from the start. I think his ceiling is a slightly less dynamic Tyreke Hill, which would be awesome.

Which is why it was ridiculous to draft him after CMC and ridiculous to draft him when we need a straight up WR.

we needed speed in the slot. we have 2 locked in starters on the outside that are slow for WRs.

it's not like ginn is some route technician. he ran down the field fast and dropped 50% of the balls that hit his hands, but that was important. i'm glad samuel can do other stuff that shula doesn't know how to implement creatively.

And now we've got Funchess running deep routes.

by the way all these rookies that look good that we didn't draft would look worse playing in this offense and we'd bitch about them

Let me tell you about Gettleman. He has - and maybe he was right, maybe not - for the last few years felt like he was one player away from a ring. In 2016, he thought he was one good cornerback away from a ring. So what Gman does is draft every single defensive back that's eligible for the draft so he can be sure he has that need covered. This year, he felt he was one dynamic playmaker away. So he drafts playmakers with his first 2 picks to be SURE that he has the dynamic playmaker. That's what he does.

I will say it again. In football, the entire formula for winning is to have a great offensive line. Control the clock with the running game, keep your QB safe and give him time, and keep the defense off the field so they can play at the top of their game. The Panthers right now do not have a good offensive line. Larson can't run block. I don't care what stats say just watch him. He gets smoked all day. Decent in the passing game, but he gets pushed back on run blocks. Ryan Kalil is the best run blocking center in the NFL. Williams is really struggling. Turner is having an off year with run blocking. Bit a big problem that I also see is that Stewart isn't hitting the holes fast. He's trying to get 7-8 yards instead of et the 3. So he takes the handoff, sidesteps, and then runs into a guy that has made progress just due to the delay in hitting the hole. So the Panthers can't run and can't control the clock.

Last edited:
And now we've got Funchess running deep routes.

Funchess is big and fast. Why not run deep routes with him? Put it up for grabs and he will bring it in. Problem is, Cam hasn't gotten within 5 yards of him with a deep throw yet.

i don't think funchess is very fast. he didn't have a very good 40 at the combine and he never seems to have much separation. he's big and strong and physical, those are his strengths.

i don't think funchess is very fast. he didn't have a very good 40 at the combine and he never seems to have much separation. he's big and strong and physical, those are his strengths.

Yeah. I'd fine with him and KB going deep on occasion, but we need a burner who can get under Cam's balls more than a big guy who can leap for them.

Let me tell you about Gettleman. He has - and maybe he was right, maybe not - for the last few years felt like he was one player away from a ring. In 2016, he thought he was one good cornerback away from a ring. So what Gman does is draft every single defensive back that's eligible for the draft so he can be sure he has that need covered. This year, he felt he was one dynamic playmaker away. So he drafts playmakers with his first 2 picks to be SURE that he has the dynamic playmaker. That's what he does.

Right on Dick !

So you mean he was one Josh Norman away from a ring ?

Yeah, not sure I completely follow the thinking there. If anything letting Norman walk seemed to indicate lack of short-termism.

It could easily be argued we are a dynamic playmaker away this year though

GMan used two 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks on the same position or player in all but one draft.

2013 - Star and KK in the 1st and 2nd.
2015 - Traded 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to get Funchess
2016 - Bradberry and Worley in the 2nd and 3rd
2017 - CMC and Samuel for both RB/slot guys for now

Yeah, not sure I completely follow the thinking there. If anything letting Norman walk seemed to indicate lack of short-termism.

It could easily be argued we are a dynamic playmaker away this year though

And a LT. And a healthy Olsen (no offense to HOF).

GMan used two 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks on the same position or player in all but one draft.

2013 - Star and KK in the 1st and 2nd.
2015 - Traded 2nd and 3rd round picks to move up to get Funchess
2016 - Bradberry and Worley in the 2nd and 3rd
2017 - CMC and Samuel for both RB/slot guys for now

Yeah, I forgot to include the defensive line obsession in 2013. And don't forget Sanzhez in the 5th round last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back