• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotta have a qb who can hit a pass more than 10 yards downfield before the byrd can fly.

Did you see the TD to Russell?

I'm more concerned with Cam hitting the short passes than the long ones. He's always been pretty good at the latter

Did you see the TD to Russell?

I'm more concerned with Cam hitting the short passes than the long ones. He's always been pretty good at the latter

Yeah, throwing uncatchable lasers high over the middle to receivers less than 10 yards away is really not a good look and much more concerning. When he can let it loose downfield with some air under it, it usually works out alright (one handed INT last week aside).

When measuring passes on target (not the same as completion) he was 2nd on passes traveling 11-20 yards and 8th on passes traveling 20+. I think there are 3 issues. First, he misses too many short passes. Second, when he misses, he tends to miss the shit out of it. And third, he does not have guys that get separation so catches are more contested and he has lower margin for error.

Even speaking to non-panther fans (most who hate Cam) - even they said that "any QB not playing in a preseason game basically would have had the 1st half that Cam had, save for missing Ed Dickson" which i will just chalk up to nerves/eyes getting big.

Most of these issues mentioned above, i recognize, are yearly problems with Cam (even MVP year with only 59% completion rate).

But I would calm way down on the micro-analysis from game 1 which was essentially the dude's preseason. He will be fine.

Panthers 8th in the football outsider advanced stats where 90% of the rating is anchored to preseason expectations (10% off of week one and nothing is adjusted for schedule until after three weeks). Ranked 5th in the league just based off of one game without tethered to preseason.

58.6% chance to make playoffs, projected as the slight favorite in the South still: http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/playoffodds

The biggest thing I've noticed with Cam over the last year or two is that he sometimes struggles with how hard to throw the ball. I feel like he bullets passes into guys when it could use a softer touch, and lobs some in that need to be bullets. Some of that against SF is likely attributable to lack of meaningful game play, but I feel like it's also an issue that has recurred every now and then over his career.

Maybe that's just anecdotes from me watching though.

The biggest thing I've noticed with Cam over the last year or two is that he sometimes struggles with how hard to throw the ball. I feel like he bullets passes into guys when it could use a softer touch, and lobs some in that need to be bullets. Some of that against SF is likely attributable to lack of meaningful game play, but I feel like it's also an issue that has recurred every now and then over his career.

Maybe that's just anecdotes from me watching though.

Year or two? More like his whole career.

Cam's main problem on the short throws is his lack of anticipation. He waits until the receiver is open and ready for the ball, then he tries to force it to him with his strong arm. That means he holds on to the ball a little too long sometimes and is often late on timing throws.

Cam's main problem on the short throws is his lack of anticipation. He waits until the receiver is open and ready for the ball, then he tries to force it to him with his strong arm. That means he holds on to the ball a little too long sometimes and is often late on timing throws.

And one reason for that is he hasn't had many receivers he could trust to get open.

I hope that third and long conversion to a scrambling to get open McCaffrey becomes a trend

I hope that third and long conversion to a scrambling to get open McCaffrey becomes a trend

Yeah. That was a great play.

This looks to be a nice rookie RB class.

Yeah. That was a great play.

This looks to be a nice rookie RB class.

I think teams like to use rookie RB's now more than ever because of the low cap hit, and so many get hurt or don't maintain their explosiveness as long its just easier to give the time and reps to develop a new rookie every 4 or 5 years.

Butker waived, we're rolling with Gano.

So not only was another team not willing to trade for Butker, they weren't even willing to put a waiver request on him. Possibly holding onto him until after week 1 kept him from being picked up elsewhere. But the minute some other team needs a kicker, Butker will be signed to their team off of the PS.

Oakland and Philly both have had kicker needs in the last week and have gone in other directions. Only takes one to like him but seems more likely than not that he'll be here for the season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back