• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like we were worried there would be a run on OL so I think a good move. Not great that he is described as “not a mauler” but he is big at least

Former #1 lineman in his class out of high school and #3 player overall. I'm perfectly fine with it.

What did we trade?

3rd round pick.

If the biggest knock is that he's soft, I'm fine gambling on a guy that could be the best OT in the draft and risking a little to win while Cam is (hopefully) still in his prime.

Last edited:
3rd round pick.

If the biggest knock is that he's soft, I'm fine gambling on a guy that could be the best OT in the draft and risking a little to win while Cam is (hopefully) still in his prime.

if you care about the draft value chart - we gave up 100 spots

if you care about the draft value chart - we gave up 100 spots

Trade to much Hurney is back :( Horrible to give up a 3rd pick to move up 10 spots. 2nd and 3rd round picks is where you build your team... Hurney still hasn't learned apparently.

2019 Carolina Panthers Free Agency

Reminds me of the Funchess trade.

This doesn't make me feel too great about Little:

Greg Little, Tackle, Ole Miss

Strengths: Size, experience

Weaknesses: Athleticism, balance, finish

Little fits the NFL’s left tackle prototype (6’5”, 310 lbs, 35¼” arms), was a top prep recruit and started for years at a top SEC program. He therefore perched near the top of 2019 draft boards years ago and stayed there, despite some very unimpressive tape.

Little is slow-footed, has a hard time pulling, misses targets on the second level and can get feigned out of position by top pass-rushers. He lunges and loses balance at times. He can be a mauler on some reps but lacks the heavy initial punch and consistent finishes of a top prospect. It’s the tape of a pretty good guard, not an elite left tackle.

The Panthers need all the offensive line talent they can get. But this is a reach, and the Panthers have too many needs at too many positions to trade up for questionable talent.

Grade: D+

And then this for Cody Ford:

Cody Ford, Tackle, Oklahoma

Strengths: Size, athleticism, just about everything else

Weaknesses: Stance

Here’s the guy the Panthers should have drafted instead of Greg Little.

The Bills averaged 4.2 yards per rush last season. Not bad, right? But if Josh Allen’s 631 rushing yards (most of it on scrambles) are removed from the equation, the Bills’ per-carry average slips to 3.6 yards per carry. Frank Gore and T.J. Yeldon arrived in the offseason to give LeSean McCoy some help in the backfield, but both the backs and Allen could use more help up front.

At 6’4”, 329 pounds, Ford is vast yet quick-footed, fundamentally sound and MEAN. He backpedals well, pulls well in the run game, looked for work when Kyler Murray was scrambling and finishes his blocks with authority.

Looking for flaws? Ford always lined up in a two-point stance at Oklahoma. Yes, many tackles line up in a two-point stance these days, but the Sooners’ stances were particularly high. Their tackles were almost standing at the line like tight ends planning to run pass routes. Ford acknowledged at the combine that he will need a little time to adjust to a three-point stance.

He also had significant weight issues after an injury, plumping up to about 360 at one point. Again, he has acknowledged that he needs to steer clear of the fast food drive-thrus.

As for Ford’s overall game: "My style of play is to get the job done no matter what it takes,” he said at the combine. “My mentality going into every game, every play, is to finish everybody in front of me."

Heck yeah.

The Bills can plug Ford in at right tackle and look forward to many Lane Johnson-esque seasons.

And after drafting Ed Oliver in the first round and Ford in the second, the Bills draft class has taken on a distinct identity. And it’s the good kind of nasty.

Grade: A

Would have liked arcega-whiteside, that’s the big body we need to go with all the little guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back