• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2020 Carolina Panthers Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The history of first time owners making their first hire is god awful. Maybe tepper breaks the trend

Yeah it is worrisome but Tepper sorta seems like he knows what he’s doing or at least saying the right things. Some of those other owners seem like they were just rich guys buying a team for the sake of spending money.

Yeah. Tepper seems to be very serious about this. And he was a minority owner before buying his own franchise so that might help.

What are some examples?

Yeah it is worrisome but Tepper sorta seems like he knows what he’s doing or at least saying the right things. Some of those other owners seem like they were just rich guys buying a team for the sake of spending money.

Sorry, I misread the tweet. It only showed the last 5 hires

What are some examples?

Jim Mora Jr- Fired in 2006 after one losing season
Bobby Petrino – Worst coach in the history of ever. Quit in 2007 after 13 games
Mike Smith – Five straight winning seasons, fired after 2014 after back to back losing seasons
Dan Quinn has the Atlanta Falcons on track to finish last in the NFC South for the first time since 2007. What a mess that season was.

The future looks dark for Dan Quinn in Atlanta. After three straight seasons of being 8-8 or higher, 2019 should mark the end of Dan Quinn.

https://bloggingdirty.com/2019/12/04/arthur-blank-right-coach-atlanta-falcons/

Redskins Coaches Under Daniel Snyder (Since 1999)
COACH RECORD (VS. NFC EAST) PLAYOFF RECORD POINT DIFFERENTIAL
Norv Turner 17-12 (7-7) 1-1 105
Terry Robiskie 1-2 (1-1) 0-0 -27
Marty Schottenheimer 8-8 (4-4) 0-0 -47
Steve Spurrier 12-20 (2-10) 0-0 -143
Joe Gibbs 30-34 (10-14) 1-2 -4
Jim Zorn 12-20 (3-9) 0-0 -101
Mike Shanahan 24-40 (9-15) 0-1 -250
Jay Gruden 35-49-1 (12-21) 0-1 -317
Total 139-185-1 (48-81) 2-5 -784

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...-daniel-snyder-brief-sad-history/?arc404=true

Jim Mora Jr- Fired in 2006 after one losing season
Bobby Petrino – Worst coach in the history of ever. Quit in 2007 after 13 games
Mike Smith – Five straight winning seasons, fired after 2014 after back to back losing seasons
Dan Quinn has the Atlanta Falcons on track to finish last in the NFC South for the first time since 2007. What a mess that season was.

The future looks dark for Dan Quinn in Atlanta. After three straight seasons of being 8-8 or higher, 2019 should mark the end of Dan Quinn.

https://bloggingdirty.com/2019/12/04/arthur-blank-right-coach-atlanta-falcons/

but on the odds sheet for the Panthers to hire !

but Arthur Blank and Dan Snyder fall under my classification of rich dudes buying a team for the sake of buying a team. Tepper did that as well, but seems to be invested in the results on the field more so than those guys.

Why elese would anyone buy a team ? No one really needs an NFL franchise, but they obviously make lots of money. I don't pay a lot of attention to the Redskins but I think Blank is pretty heavily invested in what goes on with the Falcons on a day-to-day basis and loves to hang out on the sidelines when they're winning.

Why elese would anyone buy a team ? No one really needs an NFL franchise, but they obviously make lots of money. I don't pay a lot of attention to the Redskins but I think Blank is pretty heavily invested in what goes on with the Falcons on a day-to-day basis and loves to hang out on the sidelines when they're winning.

just can't see Dan Snyder sitting down with an analytics guy to determine what needs to be done to build a winning team. Snyder just wants new stadia.

2019 Carolina Panthers Thread

Geez people. If you’re worried Tepper is going to be as bad as Snyder, you may as well stop being a Panthers fan.

I got the impression Tepper is looking for a 2020 version of Tomlin. Young guy (hired at 34, started coaching in the league at 28) with an old school mentality and ability to manage difficult personalities. But a 2020 version of Tomlin would be big into analytics.

Last edited:
Geez people. If you’re worried Tepper is going to be as bad as Snyder, you may as well stop being a Panthers fan.

I got the impression Tepper is looking for a 2020 version of Tomlin. Young guy (hired at 34, started coaching in the league at 28) with an old school mentality and ability to manage difficult personalities. But a 2020 version of Tomlin would be big into analytics.

Apparently you have Mike Tomlin confused with someone else.

LOL. You’d think the last year would have settled it. Under Tomlin, Brown was the best WR in the league. Gruden and Belichick couldn’t handle him at all.

Le’Veon Bell was the best RB in the league for a time under Tomlin. He’s done nothing with the Jets.

Yeah, I don't know how or why Tomlin generates so much irrational hate - even from Steelers fans.

I think Tepper keeping Hurney is a pretty clear sign he plans to keep Cam and give him a chance. If he was hiring a new GM, I'm pretty sure that guy would be directed to turn the page, trade Cam, and pick his franchise QB. Not sure if it's a coincidence that the Cam surgery announcement came after Ron was fired.

Not sure what this means for a QB of the future. I think we need to go into the offseason with Cam, Allen, and a 1st round QB. Hurney may still be high on Grier.

Yeah, I don't know how or why Tomlin generates so much irrational hate - even from Steelers fans.

It's really ridiculous. Tomlin is 47 years old and he's #25 on the all-time wins list. He's #16 in winning percentage (.650) and only behind Belichick among active coaches.

And he just wins. No drama. He's not flamboyant or controversial in any way. You know what you're going to get year to year.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like Cam gets one more year. He must get healthy, stay healthy, and play well in the last year of his contract. He has no excuses.

I think Tepper keeping Hurney is a pretty clear sign he plans to keep Cam and give him a chance. If he was hiring a new GM, I'm pretty sure that guy would be directed to turn the page, trade Cam, and pick his franchise QB. Not sure if it's a coincidence that the Cam surgery announcement came after Ron was fired.

Not sure what this means for a QB of the future. I think we need to go into the offseason with Cam, Allen, and a 1st round QB. Hurney may still be high on Grier.

It's really ridiculous. Tomlin is 47 years old and he's #25 on the all-time wins list. He's #16 in winning percentage (.650) and only behind Belichick among active coaches.

And he just wins. No drama. He's not flamboyant or controversial in any way. You know what you're going to get year to year.

Every season is filled with drama, virtually more than any other team. QB raping someone in a bathroom. Dirtiest player in the league faking a retirement to get out and immediately sign with the Pats. RB irrationally holding out for an entire season. WR livestreaming postgame coach speeches. Said WR demanding a trade because of friction with said rapist QB. Two other WRs threatening each other on instagram. Brawl including helmet assault. And these aren't fringe roleplayers, they are the stars of the team and the supposed leaders. The only thing you know you are getting every year is elite talent that underperforms, primarily due to said drama.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back