• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official John Collins ROY Watch thread

So then you could have taken Ball, Fox, DSJ.... Lots of PGs

I'm not sure I would have traded up. As the draft approached, I started leaning to trading down. But I wouldn't any of those with #1.

The reason I wouldn't have is Simmons. He's the key to the whole enchilada. If he's what they say he is, the Sixers needed a 3 & D guard or forward. If he's not, all sorts of dominoes will start falling.

Is Fultz actually good?

Great question. I have no idea now that his shot sucks.

Teams are sinking on him and Simmons now that they're both terrified of shooting. I think he and Simmons will both have a lot of assists and transition buckets this season and struggle to score in the half court. The Sixers will be a top five defense though, assuming Embiid stays healthy. Simmons's defense is a very underrated element of his game. Brett Brown talked it up all offseason. Covington and Embiid defend their positions as well as anyone in the league. Fultz and Redick are serviceable.

Still looking forward to seeing Simmons become the next LeBron in Philadelphia.

Just a reminder that the League Pass preview runs through the 24th. Everyone should be able to watch Collins vs. Mavs tonight, Hornets on Friday, Nets on Sunday, and Heat on Monday.

Just a reminder that the League Pass preview runs through the 24th. Everyone should be able to watch Collins vs. Mavs tonight, Hornets on Friday, Nets on Sunday, and Heat on Monday.

For Spectrum is this the NBA Network?

Whatever the League Pass channels are on Spectrum.

I am not at all sure he's going to be a star. But because of Simmons likely reverting to being a SF rather than a PG, the Sixers had to take a guard. If they stayed at #3, there was no SG worth taking there. It was either move up for Fultz or move down and take Monk.

People tried to compare Fultz to James Harden. I never bought it. Harden was built much bigger than Fultz which is a big part of his game.

As the draft got closer, I went from thinking the idea of trading w/Sac for #5 and #10 made more sense. They could have gotten a pure PG in case the Simmons experiment didn't work and Monk.

The Sixers were looking at Simmons as a PG? Or am I missing sarcasm?

He's the primary ballhandler regardless of what position you call it on offense.

Collins got his first assist before getting his first rebound on a follow dunk.

He's setting some borderline moving picks.

Just got his first steal.

Just got fouled by Dirk going up for a dunk. What an honor.

8 points in the 1Q in 7 min. Two follow dunks.

Last edited:
Collins with a big time put back dunk. 8 points off the bench in the first quarter.

I think I can confidently state that John Collins is a better NBA player, right now, than both Harry Giles and Deron Williams.

I may need to add Mr. Collins to my fantasy team stat.

So basically Collins gets ROY the second coach Bud benches Ersan Ilyasucka

Ersan: 1-3 4 pts, 4 rebs, 3 fouls, 1 block 1 stl 19 minutes
ROY: 3-5 8 pts, 5 rebs, 1 fl, 1 st, 1 ast. 13 minutes

Looks like the worst case scenario is if Bud thinks he's so good he anchors the 2nd unit.

Last edited:
Ordered league pass so I could track this. Collins and Bellineli just had a sick give and go. They tend to try to feed it to Collins in the post, they realize he's got game. That's good.

Back