• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official John Collins ROY Watch thread

This is like Tom Savage starting Game 1 for the Texans. Sometimes coaches are afraid of the future.

Collins got his first assist before getting his first rebound on a follow dunk.

He's setting some borderline moving picks.

Just got his first steal.

Just got fouled by Dirk going up for a dunk. What an honor.

8 points in the 1Q in 7 min. Two follow dunks.

Looks like he gets involved in the P&R almost every play. That and his Cherry Picking on run outs will get him lots of easy buckets. If he starts getting some hard buckets as well, then he's putting up 20 a night.

Yeah. He doesn't really post up unless it's resetting off a rebound. It's a shame they're not using the strongest part of his game.

He's getting crunch time minutes though, that's a positive. 2 point game, 15 seconds left and he's in. Implies woERSAN ain't gonna be starting for long.

It was an offense for defense sub when the Hawks got the ball up 2. He hadn't been in for awhile before that.

I think it's going to be tough for him to get a lot of minutes. The Hawks can put a lot of different lineups out there and none of them are all that great. I think he will settle into playing 25-28 min as a starter. Still could get near a double double.

Schroeder looks like a Top 15 PG though.

Last edited:
6-10 fg, 2-3 ft, 5 rebounds, 2 steals in 22 minutes. Efficient, no surprise. Way to go John.

Last edited:
Agree with the moving picks comment. I think every one of those would have been a foul in the ACC.

Good first game. He looked very active and bouncy.

I'm still shocked so many people slept on him. His PER was historic last year. It was clear he was playing within the team concept manning asked. They might try that this year but I think he'll play himself into a bigger role.

Agree with the moving picks comment. I think every one of those would have been a foul in the ACC.

Good first game. He looked very active and bouncy.

They weren't even really picks. It's like they were imaginary picks to fool the defender into thinking he was being picked.

Definitely bouncy. There were a few times a teammate just threw the ball up near the basket for him.

Once he starts getting minutes i think he can be a steady 16 and 8 guy on a garbage time team. Ball out for a few years, put up big numbers and then either stay if ATL gets their shit together or bail out and sign a max deal with a proven winner.

As an Atlanta fan, dumping the biggest asshole in basketball (Dwight Howard) for John Collins is about as perfect as it gets. If you want some vibes this morning, read the tweets about Collins last night and the fantasy recommendations since he played 2 positions and is expected to hit 24 mpg asap. Best rookie opening night performance since Rumeal Robinson in 1990 for Atlanta.

He even missed a couple opportunities he usually finishes, along with a near windmill dunk over Dirk that would have been on every highlight reel. For someone who grew up watching the Hawks, listening to Dominque Wilkins gush over Collins was pretty awesome.

By the way, the "we passed on Collins" group... TJ Leaf with 0 points and 3 fouls in 10 minutes, DJ Wilson DNP, Justin Patton DNP, Justin Jackson 5 points in 20 minutes, Bam Adebayo -12 PER in 6 minutes, Kennard DNP...

I watched some of the Heat game (can't believe they couldn't cover against Orlando) and the three minutes I saw Bam he looked completely lost and very slow. JC was flying around.

May have already been said, but Zach Lowe said a few weeks ago teams in the second half of the lottery were already kicking themselves for passing on him.

Still don't know how the Heat plan on using Bam with Whiteside.

I am commenting on this thread so that it is easier for me to find it and keep track of it, but I really have nothing to add at this time.

Reminds me of the Josh Howard draft. You knew there was no way most of those guys 15-28 were going to be as good as Josh.

In a week or two, you're going to start seeing Blake Griffin comps.

Last edited:
Watching JC again last night just reminded me of how damn good he really is. Dude is such a stud. One of my favorite Deacs ever.

Reminds me of the Josh Howard draft. You knew there was no way most of those guys 15-28 were going to be as good as Josh.

In a week or two, you're going to start seeing Blake Griffin comps.

LOLOLOL holy shit I realize you guys are struggling with CP looking like a flop for the Rockets but wow.

Back