• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official John Collins ROY Watch thread

Collins offers them the best of both worlds. Fans will still watch just to see what he can do and the rest of the team and his D are bad enough that they will still tank without needing to try.
I'm assuming Budenhulzer wants Collins to stay hungry and energized for his minutes and likes the floor spacing Deadmon and Ilyasova provide. Those guys just aren't productive enough to keep JC off the court for much longer though.

Anyone going to the Atlanta Hawks - Wake Forest Night next Friday (11/3)? Hawks vs. Rockets, followed by a meet & greet w/ Collins.

I was initially thinking of going to the game, but then CP3 got hurt. Now that there is a WFU event, I'm reconsidering.

Probably won't be ROY (sorry Plama) but Collins looks to be headed towards a great year. He's so active and bouncy. Seemingly a coach's dream.

Only 2 fouls in those 18 minutes. Also 2 assists and a block with no turnovers. Give that man more PT.

Atlanta's coach seems pretty competent, and he did give a rookie substantial playing time last year in Taurean Prince. My guess is that Collins will be awarded playing time based on his defensive progress. It is probably safe to say he picked up some bad habits on defense last year, so I understand making Collins earn it on that end. Also, it looks like they see Collins as a center more than a power forward, considering he and Dedmon havent really spent much time playing together.

Yeah, Bud is competent. He has a plan for Collins. How Collins plays will either expedite or slow down that plan.

Obvious statement is obvious - but it's his job to ignore the nut gallery fans and follow the progression.

Atlanta's coach seems pretty competent, and he did give a rookie substantial playing time last year in Taurean Prince. My guess is that Collins will be awarded playing time based on his defensive progress. It is probably safe to say he picked up some bad habits on defense last year, so I understand making Collins earn it on that end. Also, it looks like they see Collins as a center more than a power forward, considering he and Dedmon havent really spent much time playing together.

Maybe, Atlanta's coach has made a decision that Atlanta needs to score more points than the other team to win the game and has instructed JC not to play defense to stay on the court.

JC actually isn't that bad on defense compared to the rest of his team it seems:

DM58X45VoAE7tmj.jpg

He was a better defender in college than he was given credit for. He was just a game plan target with a rep for fouling (after his first season). He had to be overly careful.

Once he gets used to the physicality, athleticism, and speed in the NBA he'll show more defensive improvement.

He was a better defender in college than he was given credit for. He was just a game plan target with a rep for fouling (after his first season). He had to be overly careful.

Once he gets used to the physicality, athleticism, and speed in the NBA he'll show more defensive improvement.

I disagree, he was out of position a lot and got burned on many deliberate backdoor plays

He has the tools to be a good defender, but he was not one last year for Wake

I disagree, he was out of position a lot and got burned on many deliberate backdoor plays

He has the tools to be a good defender, but he was not one last year for Wake

I don't blame him for making the jump given his draft position; but this is a good reason why another year of college play would have served him well.

I guess we saw some different things. I saw a kid avoiding fouls. Certainly not perfect but he was better defensively than he's been given credit for. That graphic above tells me he remains underrated. Not a great defender. Underrated.

I don't blame him for making the jump given his draft position; but this is a good reason why another year of college play would have served him well.

JC was a top 20 pick and through four games in the NBA has two double-doubles. Dude absolutely should have gone and did.

Definitely. College officials are super helpful.

When TD arrived in the NBA he was already an excellent defender and rebounder because he had learned how to get in proper defensive and rebounding position from 4 years in the ACC. JC is not prepared to defend largely due to insufficient experience. Staying at Wake would not have resulted in substantially greater weath, but he would have entered the league a better all round player.

When TD arrived in the NBA he was already an excellent defender and rebounder because he had learned how to get in proper defensive and rebounding position from 4 years in the ACC. JC is not prepared to defend largely due to insufficient experience. Staying at Wake would not have resulted in substantially greater weath, but he would have entered the league a better all round player.

That doesn't make any sense. He is what, 20 years old now ... assuming he stayed this year and entered the NBA at 21, do you think he would be a better defensive player at 21 having played an additional year of college ball (and the accompanying classes, etc.) than he will be at 21 having done nothing but practiced and played defense with an NBA team for an entire season? Push it out to 22 years old with two more years of college versus two years of NBA practices and games and it becomes even more ridiculous.

Back