• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The Official John Collins ROY Watch thread

Coy Privette, anyone?

I remember Larry Flynt (Hustler) was voted Man Of The Year and more students turned out to see him than Coy Privett the next evening. Lot of unhappy trustees and administrators...

But, wasn't Coy involved in some sort of aiding and abetting prostitution scenario?

Guess he and Larry had a lot more in common than I would have ever guessed....

Wake Forest was never affiliated with the organization known as the Southern Baptist Convention. At one time Wake Forest was owned and controlled by the North Carolina Baptist State Convention, which is not the same institution as the Southern Baptist Convention.

Technically you are correct... but the organization you mentioned is part of the Southern Baptist Convention. At one time there were 46 affiliated universities to the SBC, Wake is on that list.

With apologies for unintentionally hijacking the Collins thread, I found an article which discusses the split and also references the Larry Flynt issue I mentioned in my previous post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...f1f-9fcb-b222b15da794/?utm_term=.bb97d731b99b

Hope the link works...

Promise, my last diversion...back to JC and his success. ...

Dumb Baptist nickname also makes it much worse when he gets caught driving drunk and picking up a transvestite prostitute.

Technically you are correct... but the organization you mentioned is part of the Southern Baptist Convention. At one time there were 46 affiliated universities to the SBC, Wake is on that list.

With apologies for unintentionally hijacking the Collins thread, I found an article which discusses the split and also references the Larry Flynt issue I mentioned in my previous post.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/arch...f1f-9fcb-b222b15da794/?utm_term=.bb97d731b99b

Hope the link works...

Promise, my last diversion...back to JC and his success. ...

Pilch has your link o a little on down (up...now, I guess...) the page for confirmation.

I was freshman when Flynt came to campus. It really did seem to stir up a lot of shit. IIRC, Wake left 'official' association with the Southern Baptist Convention by '78...based on demands by the SBC that one of the science departments to return a National Science Foundation grant over something the Convention did not agree with. The WFU administration seemed to think returning the grant would jeopardize academic integrity, and that was the hackneyed straw that broke the camel's back.

Ben Simmons is a flaming turd burgler, but in JC's last 2 games he's averaging 17 and 9 on 86% shooting from the field.

How is the latter possible with their WL record?

Perhaps it is the cause of their W-L record. Along with the desire to get Bagley or Young in the draft.

Do they still play the NBA rookie versus 2nd year player game during all-star weekend?

If so, JC has to be a lock for that event.

Latest report from the Hawks' SB site.
The rookie growth curve of John Collins, version 3.0

Quick summary:
Offense - Shaky outside of 5 feet, but is starting to get a green light to shoot jumpers
Defense - Good defender on a poor defensive team; leads all rookies in blocks (1.1)
Rebounding - Elite offensive rebounder; weak defensive rebounder

Last edited:
Spurs vs. Hawks at 3:00 on NBATV. One of Collins' rare national TV appearances.

Picked up a few of JC's rookie cards over the weekend including a numbered LE Pannini and an auto. :thumbsup:

Playing against Boogie and Anthony Davis. Fun to watch. Boogie does not appear to like John's motor, and is bodying up on him pretty well.

Watched from the beginning. Weird substitution patterns for Collins but has played so well that Bud had to keep him in. Also, Dedmon and Ersin are whack.

Starting at C for the USA team in the Rising Stars game. Just had a sick alley oop for the team’s first points.

Some impressive dunks (and misses) for Collins in the rookie all-star game.

Back