• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Blockchain Tech and Cryptocurrencies

What's the best place to buy this stuff? Coinbase? Any others that don't charge 1.49% at purchase and sale? Also, is now a good time to buy? So many differing opinions. Seems like the thread consensus is that it still is.

Seriously?

I think there are things such as companies that make stuff that is sold. Goods, services, etc. That are sustainable. And not scams.

Better to look at things like KKD or PRMW when they were in the low single digits. Risky, sure, but real companies making and selling a product with some (realized now--certainly in the case of KKD and probably in the case of PRMW) chance to recover.

• In markets with hyperinflation concerns (e.g. Venezuela, S. Africa), crypto is a saving grace. In this context, it has immense intrinsic value.
  • Unlike USD or most pegged currencies, one cannot just print more btc; it's finite. In this context, it has intrinsic value.
  • Cross-border remittances are incredibly expensive, both at the retail and commercial level. As a lower cost exchange of money, crypto has intrinsic value.
  • Japan has recognized btc as a legal currency. So you either have yen or btc. Who wants to hold Yen? Right, By virtue of being an accepted currency with demand, it has intrinsic value.
  • Then start looking at disruptive use cases for Ethereum in real estate markets....huge value unlock potential.

All told, we're just scratching the surface for how these things can/will be used. 5 years ago, what value did Uber have? You didn't need uber when you could just call Yellow Cab, plus the cab had a bunch of permits on it, so it was more legit, right?

Or AirBnB. Why the heck would you stay in someone's home when you could stay at a Marriott?

Decentralization, whether is uber, AirBnB or blockchain-based crypto, allows free markets to prevail. I will always want to invest in first movers in free markets with favorable supply/demand dynamics.

BTC will hit $50k a coin in the next year or so. We've just begun to see the massive runup. As for alts, I would focus on platforms. Alt market is back from the dead and there will be massive winners in 2018. Litecoin blowing up showed the masses that alts can make you money and thats all they'll need to see to FOMO into alts.

The speculation and investment is not in a technology but the recent partnerships they’ve signed with big name companies.

But without knowing too much, I have little reason to believe those partnerships are as valuable as the speculation in the currency signifies. I choose not to invest in publicity but that might be a short term fault for evaluating crypto.

a08ff310a591078e48b84566766d4433.jpg

https://venturebeat.com/2017/12/19/...s-on-iota-as-it-invests-in-the-future-of-iot/

Also now on Forbes

https://www.forbes.com/sites/montym...n-distributed-ledger-technology/#135084036260

Official Bosch press release

http://www.bosch-presse.de/presspor...-in-distributed-ledger-technology-137411.html

What's the best place to buy this stuff? Coinbase? Any others that don't charge 1.49% at purchase and sale? Also, is now a good time to buy? So many differing opinions. Seems like the thread consensus is that it still is.

Coinbase is the easiest way to get money in. But ETH or BTC and then start another account/wallet at a place like binance or the like. Transfer the ETH or BTC that you bought off Coinbase into that account and then you can trade/exchange for whatever you want that's less well known like Ripple, Lumens, or some other ETH based coin.

Report that the new tax bill addresses cryptocurrencies.

Within the last 24 hours:

Hacked S korean crypto exchange goes bust
Crypto CEO helps pop his own bubble
Crypto stock draws SEC suspension
Alt coins reach new highs
Litecoin creator: I'm out.

My personal viewpoint on all of this:
The market is more efficient than anyone could have previously predicted - two hedge fund buddies sold a $55M btc position in 30 minutes last week.
The market is rapidly maturing - futures trading may be feared as a source of volatility and potential shorts, but it ultimately represents a logical entry point for institutional money. Asset managers understand the bubble implications but are being pressured to establish a bitcoin/crypto position.
Crypto is one of the better ways to get exposure to blockchain today, but the best blockchain investments are yet to come. If you are investing in cryptocurrencies solely as a blockchain play, stay on the sidelines.

If you are not invested in cryptocurrencies today, but want exposure, I would strongly recommend;
1) dollar cost averaging - the markets are volatile, don't try to time them. Sign up on Coinbase, set up a recurring purchase (weekly or bi-weekly) as a natural hedge against rapid price moves
2) do not invest more than 5% of your liquid net worth in this 'asset' class. Said differently, you have to be prepared to lose your entire investment. I believe that btc could be at 25K in 2-3 months and 50K by the end of 2018 and eth at $1k by Q2 2018, but there is an equal risk of total loss.
3) find three people that know cryptocurrencies in and out and follow them closely; don't pay attention to media coverage or guys like Mark Cuban who opine on everything

This is a good post. Just to tack on to others following suit, I started following exactly this approach a while back with almost no significant investment - just thought it'd be fun to put $25 into a couple crypto's every week... Just crossed the 5 figure mark last week. I consider it fake money for now, but it's certainly been a fascinating thing to watch.

Without saying anything about any specific coin, I really need to speak to my legal team about investing in crypto based off things I learn within my company.

You can PM me and we can split the profits 50/50 while I submit 100% of the principal. Done, no legal advice needed.

You can PM me and we can split the profits 50/50 while I submit 100% of the principal. Done, no legal advice needed.

I'm in. We can make it quite the racket. Anyone buying Bitcoin Cash? It's release on Coinbase last night was pretty.. umm.. eventful.

I'm in. We can make it quite the racket. Anyone buying Bitcoin Cash? It's release on Coinbase last night was pretty.. umm.. eventful.

I bought some on Binance and made a quick flip. Staying away otherwise. Coinbase is shady AF

Yeah. I don’t have the type of info like CB and what currencies they’re going to add next.

But I do know when companies are testing new chains, technical evaluations, etc.

Yeah. I don’t have the type of info like CB and what currencies they’re going to add next.

But I do know when companies are testing new chains, technical evaluations, etc.

There's enough info on the first part on reddit with users skimming source code and support forums. I'd look towards ripple as an add in Q1 of 2018 (despite what you think about the coin, there will always be a massive bump with a CB add)

Back